Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nillas12

Experiences with non-techies

Or use a DBAN Hammer and wipe their drives.

I can't. Everything stored locally is wiped when the machine turns off, so it's all put on the 'student share'.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

So this happened.. I've been trying for about five times now to get a legitimate rating on my specs..

3e2d06575c808f654dbad795212540ea.png-expensive cooler for locked cpu

-cheapish mobo, probably not the best choice

-good amount of ram

-good, standard hdd

-a radeon 7770 wut?

-iirc not a great psu

-lol wut

5.5/10

-expensive cooler for locked cpu

-cheapish mobo, probably not the best choice

-good amount of ram

-good, standard hdd

-a radeon 7770 wut?

-iirc not a great psu

-lol wut

5.5/10

Not made of money, ended up with that case, PSU, and GPU because of a tight budget when I was upgrading... If you'd look at my signature it might show I can't afford the best things out there. The cooler is there because I've had bad experiences with stock coolers, and I got it for $29..

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

This thread right here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/196669-very-high-latencyunreliable-internet-connection/#entry2675590

I was expecting a loose coax cable, a filter on the coax TAP, a bad grounding connection, maybe even a DOCSIS 3.0 channel bonding issue, or maybe even TWC being retarded by messing up their CMTS headend.

NOPE, read the OP's last response. I figuratively facepalmed reading the reply. I mean Amazon's cloud hosting solution is dirt cheap, yet he does that on his home connection.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Not made of money, ended up with that case, PSU, and GPU because of a tight budget when I was upgrading... If you'd look at my signature it might show I can't afford the best things out there. The cooler is there because I've had bad experiences with stock coolers, and I got it for $29..

I hate it when people review your system like your just made of money.  

I hate it when people review your system like your just made of money.  

Same, I'm not just throwing money like my trees are growing them.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Talking to this kid on Facebook as we speak:

"Dude I'm getting this new computer."

"Specs?"

"i7 4930k, 64GB RAM, GTX 780."

"What games do you expect to play?!"

"Minecraft."

#killmenow

i play minecraft at pretty good graphics atm and my pc is shit

u wot m7+1

i play minecraft at pretty good graphics atm and my pc is shit

That game's badly optimised and everything, but I'd never recommend more than a low-end i5 (in case they wanted to do anything that eats CPU time), 4-8GB ram and a 750Ti. That sort of system would play MC and all source games on good settings, and maybe manage something like Skyrim or Thief or whatever on medium.

A lot of MC YouTubers I watch have high spec systems (680/690/780 and 4670k/4770k/4790k) but they do play other games and need to be able to render videos whilst recording and playing to keep up with their schedule

Tel Alves: CPU - AMD FX8320 @ 4.1GHz | CPU Cooler - Dark Rock 3RAM - 8GB Corsair XMS3 | GPU - ASUS GTX660 DCUII Mobo - AsRock 970 Extreme 4 PSU - Corsair CX600M Case - Zalman Z11 Plus SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB | HDD 500GB Hitachi Deskstar and 1TB WD Green Monitors - Acer H236HLbjmd 23" IPS and HP w19ev 19" TN Mouse - Corsair Vengeance M95 | Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB w/ MX Browns | Microphone - Blue Snowball Neon Blue | Headphones - AKG K217 MKII

Talking to this kid on Facebook as we speak:

"Dude I'm getting this new computer."

"Specs?"

"i7 4930k, 64GB RAM, GTX 780."

"What games do you expect to play?!"

"Minecraft."

#killmenow

That's what happenes if your parents are drowning in money...

CPU: I7 4790 @ 4GHz /w Cooler Master Hyper 412S | MOBO: ASUS Z97 PRO | GPU: Gigabyte gtx 780 OC | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB @ 1866MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850 | SSD Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7000rpm | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | MONITOR: Samsung S24D300 | KEYBOARD: CMStorm Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G500s | MOUSE#2: Logitech M500| HEADSET: Logitech G230 | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z313 2.1  | Phone: Galaxy Note II

Not made of money, ended up with that case, PSU, and GPU because of a tight budget when I was upgrading... If you'd look at my signature it might show I can't afford the best things out there

A xeon and a 7770? I would have gone with a cx and source 210

I just found out something today. My friends system has an SSD. The only issue is that he didn't know what an SSD is until now, so he have EVERYTHING (OS, games etc) stored on his 2TB HDD, because the other drive is "small and bad". I doubt he even read the spec sheets when he bought this overpriced pre built PC...

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

A xeon and a 7770? I would have gone with a cx and source 210

Well, I did upgrade over a year ago, needed a better GPU to actually let me do what I wanted, and the case was onsale for $25, the PSU was cheap and I know people who have had good experiences with it. When someone upgrades, it doesn't mean they'll basically rebuild a computer again.

Spoiler

Spoiler

That game's badly optimised and everything, but I'd never recommend more than a low-end i5 (in case they wanted to do anything that eats CPU time), 4-8GB ram and a 750Ti. That sort of system would play MC and all source games on good settings, and maybe manage something like Skyrim or Thief or whatever on medium.

I built my sister a rig with the 750 Ti, it gets about 50ish FPS on average in skyrim stock with high settings. And Minecraft runs brilliantly.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

My old computer teacher years ago

Teacher: "People do not buy laptops for video editing or gaming"

Me: "My laptop has 32GB of RAM and an i7" "I play Battlefield on it"

Teacher: "Thats impossible"

I used to have a friend like that in high school. He was one of those people who thought they where a child prodigy but obviously wasnt. haha

Case: Fractal Designs Arc Midi R2  cpu: Intel core i5 4670k at 4.6ghz Motherboard: msi z87-gd65 gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Seasonic x650 gold Memory: 16gb Corsair vengeance pro 1600mhz ssd: Samsung 840 120gb Hard drive: Western digital wd black 500gb  Build-log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/37554-starting-my-first-full-blown-build/                                                                                                 "on the Internet. You can find almost anything on the Internet..." -Linus                                                                                                                                                                              i haz pc

Well, I did upgrade over a year ago, needed a better GPU to actually let me do what I wanted, and the case was onsale for $25, the PSU was cheap and I know people who have had good experiences with it. When someone upgrades, it doesn't mean they'll basically rebuild a computer again.

Oh yeah you probably don't game and good experience pretty much means it hasn't blown up yet

Not non techie but non smarties

A guy on a motorcycle was at a red light, revving engine impatiently. A tiny break in cars appears. He goes forward, I thought to turn right. He goes straight through the red light, weaving around the busy traffic...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Oh yeah you probably don't game and good experience pretty much means it hasn't blown up yet

How would you know if I use my computer for gaming or not? I'd still be running a ATI HD 5550 if I didn't need something better. It gets the job done, both GPU and PSU. I've only seen a few bad reviews on the power supply anyway. That 1% is usually what people will think is what will happen every time. The other 99% has had no problems with it dying.

Also what kind of grammar is that?

Spoiler

Spoiler

I built my sister a rig with the 750 Ti, it gets about 50ish FPS on average in skyrim stock with high settings. And Minecraft runs brilliantly.

That's decent! I run a fair few mods and one of my modded player homes has issues (probably causing a vram leak or something of that nature) that cause random frame drops in a certain cell, but other than that my 660 does nicely. If you're running stock then with a decent CPU you'd be golden on a 750Ti. I'm either gonna convince my sister to get a 750Ti (she's using my old GT440) or give her my 660 when i finally upgrade in a couple years.

Tel Alves: CPU - AMD FX8320 @ 4.1GHz | CPU Cooler - Dark Rock 3RAM - 8GB Corsair XMS3 | GPU - ASUS GTX660 DCUII Mobo - AsRock 970 Extreme 4 PSU - Corsair CX600M Case - Zalman Z11 Plus SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB | HDD 500GB Hitachi Deskstar and 1TB WD Green Monitors - Acer H236HLbjmd 23" IPS and HP w19ev 19" TN Mouse - Corsair Vengeance M95 | Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB w/ MX Browns | Microphone - Blue Snowball Neon Blue | Headphones - AKG K217 MKII

That's decent! I run a fair few mods and one of my modded player homes has issues (probably causing a vram leak or something of that nature) that cause random frame drops in a certain cell, but other than that my 660 does nicely. If you're running stock then with a decent CPU you'd be golden on a 750Ti. I'm either gonna convince my sister to get a 750Ti (she's using my old GT440) or give her my 660 when i finally upgrade in a couple years.

Right. I've been looking into the 660 to upgrade my current GT 640 GPU.

Garrus - HP Stream 11

*quoting my Dad " I was thrilled when your mother stopped picking up the mouse and saying," Now what do i do with this again?""

*quoting my Mom, " No! plug it back in, the laptop doesn;t work if you unplug it."*

*We have had the same home theater setup for years. To turn it on literally all you do is turn on the tv and turn on the cable box. It is setup to default to cable so no changing sources or audio inputs on the receiver or anything. Just turn on the Tv and make sure the Yellow light is glowing on the cable box. I have showed my mom this at least 20 times in the last 3 years, and she still doesn't understand. 

* my mmom was angry at my dad because he told her tha Mac book that he gave to her was out of date. She was angry because the Macbook Pro G2( i think i may be wrong but atleast 8 years old) was being no longer supported.