• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nillas12

Experiences with non-techies

Why not use Wifi? ;)

Because WiFi "causes cancer"... Courtesy of mainstream media in my country

Because WiFi "causes cancer"... Courtesy of mainstream media in my country

HA! That's what my aunt says. She turns off their router when ever not using their PC. I then pointed out to her that we are all surrounded and bombarded with wifi and other wireless signals pretty much anywhere you go. She still turns it off. -_-

I will say this though; I moved our router in our house to a different location a couple months ago (so it could be hardwired to my PC and the HTPC for Steam in-home game streaming with minimal latency) and the two plants beside it started to not do so well. Might be a coincidence, might not. Just an observation. Wife made me move the router further away from them, so we shall see if they perk up again... In this case, I'm talking about the router sitting literally right beside the plants. Perhaps being that close can have an effect...? I suppose it's debatable.

My Systems:

Gaming:

Spoiler

RUSTIC PC: FX-8350 @4.6GHz // Deepcool Gammaxx 400 // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB DDR3 @1600MHz // Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G // Samsung 840 120GB SSD + 2x 1TB Seagate 7200 HDDs // Cooler Master V650 PSU // Vintage wooden crate enclosure // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter // Build Log

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // Corsair 1x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

HA! That's what my aunt says. She turns off their router when ever not using their PC. I then pointed out to her that we are all surrounded and bombarded with wifi and other wireless signals pretty much anywhere you go. She still turns it off. -_-

I will say this though; I moved our router in our house to a different location a couple months ago (so it could be hardwired to my PC and the HTPC for Steam in-home game streaming with minimal latency) and the two plants beside it started to not do so well. Might be a coincidence, might not. Just an observation. Wife made me move the router further away from them, so we shall see if they perk up again... In this case, I'm talking about the router sitting literally right beside the plants. Perhaps being that close can have an effect...? I suppose it's debatable.

Maybe it's just a result of the heat being given off by the plants. But you should absolutely do a controlled experiment to see what happens (if you can).

HTTP/2 203

Please do the experiment and post it on the forums... It would be interesting to see if there's something that would come out...

When I said that I stopped acting childish, there was no relation to me not playing video games, I stopped playing them to put forth more effort to my studies and I stopped acting childish as in I changed my personality. No relation exists between the two. Sorry if anybody was offended. :(

EDIT: my parents never let me play decent games (they think that it will turn me into some sort of emo psychopath/murderer) so I can't really comment on the topic, although I would like to play said games once the overload of studies are over.

LTT's OFFICIAL ASIAN NEW YORKER!

EM fields don't cause cancer, don't believe anyone who tells you that. Even living under a 400 kV powerline would not cause any health issues due to magnetic fields, and a measly 1 W radio transmitter would? Oh please...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

This is what I call mother fuck uppery.

Where did the facepalm go? NOOOOOOO!

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Maybe it's just a result of the heat being given off by the plants. But you should absolutely do a controlled experiment to see what happens (if you can).

I meant the plants started to not do as well when the wifi was moved right next to them (within 2 feet). Or so my wife says - they looked ok to me, but I never paid close attention to them before that. lol.

EM fields don't cause cancer, don't believe anyone who tells you that. Even living under a 400 kV powerline would not cause any health issues due to magnetic fields, and a measly 1 W radio transmitter would? Oh please...

I agree with you it doesn't cause cancer. However, some people and other living things can be effected by Em fields. It's called EM hypersensitivity. I'm not saying our wifi router is causing cancer in the plants right next to it, but it is totally possible that the EM field it's giving off is strong enough [up close] to somehow harm some part of it's biological system. 

Perhaps I'll do a more controlled test of this and see what happens. As I said before, it may have just been a coincidence. 

My Systems:

Gaming:

Spoiler

RUSTIC PC: FX-8350 @4.6GHz // Deepcool Gammaxx 400 // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB DDR3 @1600MHz // Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G // Samsung 840 120GB SSD + 2x 1TB Seagate 7200 HDDs // Cooler Master V650 PSU // Vintage wooden crate enclosure // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter // Build Log

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // Corsair 1x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

My friend called me in a panic because her internet "didn't work" and she had to take a test that night. I calmed her down and she explained when she opened Internet Explorer *eye roll*, it said her proxy configuration was incorrect. I asked her if she changed that and she firmly said she didn't. I walked her through to resetting it to the default configuration. I still wonder how she messed it up.

EM fields don't cause cancer, don't believe anyone who tells you that.

Rather think the jury is out on that one.  Some (most) people say there is no way it could, but at the same time there are others convinced that this stuff isn't good for you.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Rather think the jury is out on that one. Some (most) people say there is no way it could, but at the same time there are others convinced that this stuff isn't good for you.

Radio waves are hardly ionizing radiation, they don't have the energy to break chemical bonds in DNA. As for other EM fields, their strength would have to be truly colossal to affect people. We had quite a conversation with a professor in our power engineering course regarding this topic.

But hey, I could be wrong...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

This is a little OT, but I've never played roblox, I've only briefly heard about it, so what is so bad about it, i'd like to know.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

one day i was trying to fix a broken fan inside my computer and when i was idleing i got really high temperatures so, i took off the side panel and put a fan running next to it, then my grandma comes in my room and starts touching a bunch of random things after i told her not to....    i was lucky nothing got fried

not really a non-techie thing but kindof related 

one day i went to my (other granmas) house and i had to do a  school project on her computer and i turned it on and there was windows vista i just bursted out in laughter

LOL. My aunt still uses windows vista and I ask her why she doesn't use windows 7, she says its because "it will make my computer slow" (her computer is a toshiba and has a 1.5ghz centrino duo.)

My Build : Intel i7-9700K - Asus Strix Z390-E - 32GB Vengeance RGB

- Nvidia Titan Xp - 1TB Samsung 960 Evo SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

The reason why she's using such a slow toshiba laptop is because one day we went out to buy a new computer for her (core i5, SSD, 6GB RAM, integrated graphics) and she didn't use it at all, then one day (when the computer was only 2 months old and gathering dust) she sold it for very cheap, like $400. And she needs a computer for her work (accounting) so now her old toshiba needs is so slow, it takes 10 mins to turn on and 10 mins to turn off.

Also, her internet is so slow, (1mbps down and 0.25mbps up) and whenever she gets a call from the internet service provider about upgrading, she says she doesn't want faster internet even if it is only $5 dollars more every month. So whenever I go to her home and try to access the internet, it takes forever to load a video and to download anything.

My Build : Intel i7-9700K - Asus Strix Z390-E - 32GB Vengeance RGB

- Nvidia Titan Xp - 1TB Samsung 960 Evo SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

When I said that I stopped acting childish, there was no relation to me not playing video games, I stopped playing them to put forth more effort to my studies and I stopped acting childish as in I changed my personality. No relation exists between the two. Sorry if anybody was offended. :(

EDIT: my parents never let me play decent games (they think that it will turn me into some sort of emo psychopath/murderer) so I can't really comment on the topic, although I would like to play said games once the overload of studies are over.

I'd really like to meet your soccer mom and school her on her ignorance and the benefits of videogames. Most studies are manipulated by the media, and those that aren't are ignored. Society needs a scapegoat - videogames are a good scapegoat, because most are ignorant of them. Watch Rob Ager's documentary Elephant and The Videogames controversy - and get schooled! Speaking of Rob Ager, you would be interested to know despite my moms lack of interest in him, he is a really good movie analyst and such.

If anyone here wants to debate me, I have been on the topic for a year and successfully debated dozens of arguments, particularly via email and reddit. So, not to brag or sound obnoxious, but you're welcome to any day.

You're probably right about never playing decent games, and sorry to sound obnoxious in my earlier reply, but not playing videogames isn't something you should exactly "brag about". Sorry for the misunderstanding. What videogames do you play?

Also make sure to quote my post so I can see your reply ;)

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

I'd really like to meet your soccer mom and school her on her ignorance and the benefits of videogames. Most studies are manipulated by the media, and those that aren't are ignored. Society needs a scapegoat - videogames are a good scapegoat, because most are ignorant of them. Watch Rob Ager's documentary Elephant and The Videogames controversy - and get schooled! Speaking of Rob Ager, you would be interested to know despite my moms lack of interest in him, he is a really good movie analyst and such.

If anyone here wants to debate me, I have been on the topic for a year and successfully debated dozens of arguments, particularly via email and reddit. So, not to brag or sound obnoxious, but you're welcome to any day.

You're probably right about never playing decent games, and sorry to sound obnoxious in my earlier reply, but not playing videogames isn't something you should exactly "brag about". Sorry for the misunderstanding. What videogames do you play?

Also make sure to quote my post so I can see your reply ;)

I play naughty games for big kids.

Spoiler

Main PC || CPU - Xeon E3 1231 V3 || Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate || CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || RAM - 1x8GB HyperX Fury Blue || Graphics card - MSI TwinFrozr V GTX 970 || Storage - 1x BX100 250GB, 1x 1TB WD Blue || PSU - EVGA G2 750W || Case - Corsair 200R

TV PC || CPU - Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz 1.2V || Motherboard - MSI H81M-P33 || CPU Cooler - Stock || RAM - 2x4GB random Samsung RAM || Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics (will be R9 390 in a few weeks) || Storage - 1x SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB, 1x Samsung 1.5TB HDD || PSU - Corsair CX600M || Case - None (soon to be Cooler Master Elite 430)

This is a little OT, but I've never played roblox, I've only briefly heard about it, so what is so bad about it, i'd like to know.

Simply put, the community.

The game is "designed for people ages 7-17" but I don't know a singe person who plays it above 10.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

Simply put, the community.

The game is "designed for people ages 7-17" but I don't know a singe person who plays it above 10.

I do, and I take the piss constantly by saying stuff like "Can you not wait to talk to 5 year olds tonight?". He takes it as a joke btw, we all do stuff like that to eachother.

Spoiler

Main PC || CPU - Xeon E3 1231 V3 || Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate || CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || RAM - 1x8GB HyperX Fury Blue || Graphics card - MSI TwinFrozr V GTX 970 || Storage - 1x BX100 250GB, 1x 1TB WD Blue || PSU - EVGA G2 750W || Case - Corsair 200R

TV PC || CPU - Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz 1.2V || Motherboard - MSI H81M-P33 || CPU Cooler - Stock || RAM - 2x4GB random Samsung RAM || Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics (will be R9 390 in a few weeks) || Storage - 1x SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB, 1x Samsung 1.5TB HDD || PSU - Corsair CX600M || Case - None (soon to be Cooler Master Elite 430)

Radio waves are hardly ionizing radiation, they don't have the energy to break chemical bonds in DNA. As for other EM fields, their strength would have to be truly colossal to affect people. We had quite a conversation with a professor in our power engineering course regarding this topic.

But hey, I could be wrong...

You are probably not.

I did say most thought it a load of baloney, but some do feel it is bad for them.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

No offence taken dude:-).

No problem mate, I was being sarcastic but having sarcasm hidden in text and using emoticons doesn't cut it, unfortunately. :unsure:

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

The reason why she's using such a slow toshiba laptop is because one day we went out to buy a new computer for her (core i5, SSD, 6GB RAM, integrated graphics) and she didn't use it at all, then one day (when the computer was only 2 months old and gathering dust) she sold it for very cheap, like $400. And she needs a computer for her work (accounting) so now her old toshiba needs is so slow, it takes 10 mins to turn on and 10 mins to turn off.

Also, her internet is so slow, (1mbps down and 0.25mbps up) and whenever she gets a call from the internet service provider about upgrading, she says she doesn't want faster internet even if it is only $5 dollars more every month. So whenever I go to her home and try to access the internet, it takes forever to load a video and to download anything.

Don't be hatin' on dat 1meg internet - I live with it too! One day it got up to 1.1meg!!! :D 480p video actually loaded!!! But really, she has the ability to upgrade, and I don't know what she's paying but $5 more per month would grant her enough so that she was getting more speed for her money. I, currently (until they activate the fibre cabinets on the main road) can't get an upgrade an am getting something close to 0.03meg/£ (not sure exactly how much it cost us per month). Compare that to £10 more per month and 36meg I'll be getting with fibre, that'll be 1.1meg/£ - wow such improvement many speed such video wow.

But, I can't believe she got a new computer (did you buy it or were you just helping her choose) and then didn't use it for some reason and then sold it for less than it was bought. If you're gonna sell something worth some money don't you normally get someone to evaluate it (or at least your family to help you)?

Tel Alves: CPU - AMD FX8320 @ 4.1GHz | CPU Cooler - Dark Rock 3RAM - 8GB Corsair XMS3 | GPU - ASUS GTX660 DCUII Mobo - AsRock 970 Extreme 4 PSU - Corsair CX600M Case - Zalman Z11 Plus SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB | HDD 500GB Hitachi Deskstar and 1TB WD Green Monitors - Acer H236HLbjmd 23" IPS and HP w19ev 19" TN Mouse - Corsair Vengeance M95 | Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB w/ MX Browns | Microphone - Blue Snowball Neon Blue | Headphones - AKG K217 MKII

Not exactly a none-techie but my friend is not super comfortable inside PCS

Anyway I get a text as I leave work "Erm...Dropped my pc".., so as it turns out, he was cleaning and knocked his desktop off his desk and it crashed down to the floor

I grab some spare parts and drive over to his house, he has the pc on the floor side panel off and is like..... everytihng is connected but it wont power on

Turns out wire for the power button had fallen off so the on button didnt work 

HAHA i nearly pissed myself :P I was like "you are a tit" he was like "oh I did not know where those cables went"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop 1 Alienware M18x Red - 18.4" 1080p i7 3610qm CF 7970m samsung evo 250gb, raid 0 2x 500gb harddrive, killer nic n1103, 8gb ram, Nebula Red Laptop 2 Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Laptop 3 M11x Celeron SU7300 + 512mb 335m, 8gb Ram Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, iPad 4 32gb, iPhone 6 128gb Space Grey, Sony A7

You should give games like the Portal and Half Life series a try. There isn't any real killing in Portal (unless you yourself die) so there isn't much worry for becoming a psychopath :P As for Half Life if you can't play that for whatever reason the Black Mesa standalone mod is basically a remake of the first game from what I know. (Also I only played some Black Mesa and the Portal series but I know that Valve games are fantastic so I will recomend them based on the reputation that Valve has :) )

If you're intersted in something with a good story and set in Star Wars I'd recomend the Jedi Knight series as well as Knights of the Old Republic (both 1 and 2) as those games basically got me into tech and modding :D I played them when I was about 14 in 2010. Additionally KotOR has one of the best twists imaginable. I won't spoil it and I suggest you try not to spoil it for yourself either ;) It gets heavily forshadowed and since most mods embrace the idea I would recomend avoiding them (asides from 1080p support) for the first playthrough.

As for science and learning Kerbal Space Program and to an extent Star Citizen are good places to start for physics.

Those are games I'd recomend with a consideration for possible violence or any other aspect that makes a game M rated. I personally never cared about ratings that much having played doom when I was 5 or so and later when I returned to gaming I played AC2 just prior to KotOR. Of course these days ratings no longer apply to me anyways :D