Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nillas12

Experiences with non-techies

A day after I built my computer I brought it downstairs and took off the side panels to do some cable management. My mom gasped and she said "If you open the panel too many times you're going to break it!"

I just asked her, "Have you built a computer?" And went on with the cable management.

My friend said he wants to get a high end gaming laptop to play Minecraft and Garry's mod on it  -_-

"Oh boy! 64 gigabytes of ram to play Minecraft and Garry's Mod! And I'll also get this 750 Ti because the number is so close to 760, 770, 780 so their performance MUST be similar! I'm getting such a steal!!"

-

My friend's dad's friend sold my friend's dad apparently $800 worth of "gaming" parts. I asked him what he got. X4 740, random cheap Gigabyte motherboard, Tt TR2 500w (not 80+), Tt V3 Black case, EVGA 2GB GT 610. He thought that the more VRAM, the better. I told him what a bad deal he got. He told his dad, and his dad was like "Okay, I'll get you a 4gb R9 270!" Guess who his dad's buying that from. His friend... 

He plays Minecraft and has a Dell 1280x1024 monitor...

edit: a word

Hi

Cars have been around since the late 1800s and many people son't know jack shit about them

I don't know that much about cars... I don't care much for them.

Spoiler

Main PC || CPU - Xeon E3 1231 V3 || Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate || CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || RAM - 1x8GB HyperX Fury Blue || Graphics card - MSI TwinFrozr V GTX 970 || Storage - 1x BX100 250GB, 1x 1TB WD Blue || PSU - EVGA G2 750W || Case - Corsair 200R

TV PC || CPU - Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz 1.2V || Motherboard - MSI H81M-P33 || CPU Cooler - Stock || RAM - 2x4GB random Samsung RAM || Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics (will be R9 390 in a few weeks) || Storage - 1x SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB, 1x Samsung 1.5TB HDD || PSU - Corsair CX600M || Case - None (soon to be Cooler Master Elite 430)

A day after I built my computer I brought it downstairs and took off the side panels to do some cable management. My mom gasped and she said "If you open the panel too many items you're going to break it!"

I just asked her, "Have you built a computer?" And went on with the cable management.

"Oh boy! 64 gigabytes of ram to play Minecraft and Garry's Mod! And I'll also get this 750 Ti because the number is so close to 760, 770, 780 so their performance MUST be similar! I'm getting such a steal!!"

-

My friend's dad's friend sold my friend's dad apparently $800 worth of "gaming" parts. I asked him what he got. X4 740, random cheap Gigabyte motherboard, Tt TR2 500w (not 80+), Tt V3 Black case, EVGA 2GB GT 610. He thought that the more VRAM, the better. I told him what a bad deal he got. He told his dad, and his dad was like "Okay, I'll get you a 4gb R9 270!" Guess who his dad's buying that from. His friend...

He plays Minecraft and has a Dell 1280x1024 monitor...

I don't know what to say. What's with the 'ooh it's a magic box and if you even look at it the wrong way you'll displease the gods, cause it to catch on fire and disgrace the family name'? At a hardware level it's no different to working on a car. Opening the bonnet too many times won't suddenly cause it to explode.....

As for that guy with the 1280x1024 monitor - u wouldn't pass judgement based on someone's screen. A friend of mine has a 1440x900 old TN panel (like my current secondary monitor) and plays @ 720p but doesn't see a point in 1080p and is quite happy with his current screen. He's a damn sight better in any game than I am

Tel Alves: CPU - AMD FX8320 @ 4.1GHz | CPU Cooler - Dark Rock 3RAM - 8GB Corsair XMS3 | GPU - ASUS GTX660 DCUII Mobo - AsRock 970 Extreme 4 PSU - Corsair CX600M Case - Zalman Z11 Plus SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB | HDD 500GB Hitachi Deskstar and 1TB WD Green Monitors - Acer H236HLbjmd 23" IPS and HP w19ev 19" TN Mouse - Corsair Vengeance M95 | Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB w/ MX Browns | Microphone - Blue Snowball Neon Blue | Headphones - AKG K217 MKII

Sorry, double post. Phone told me it couldn't connect to forum.

Tel Alves: CPU - AMD FX8320 @ 4.1GHz | CPU Cooler - Dark Rock 3RAM - 8GB Corsair XMS3 | GPU - ASUS GTX660 DCUII Mobo - AsRock 970 Extreme 4 PSU - Corsair CX600M Case - Zalman Z11 Plus SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB | HDD 500GB Hitachi Deskstar and 1TB WD Green Monitors - Acer H236HLbjmd 23" IPS and HP w19ev 19" TN Mouse - Corsair Vengeance M95 | Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB w/ MX Browns | Microphone - Blue Snowball Neon Blue | Headphones - AKG K217 MKII

As for that guy with the 1280x1024 monitor - u wouldn't pass judgement based on someone's screen. A friend of mine has a 1440x900 old TN panel (like my current secondary monitor) and plays @ 720p but doesn't see a point in 1080p and is quite happy with his current screen. He's a damn sight better in any game than I am

Yeah... I'm playing on a 17" 1280x1024 VA monitor too. Even though I could get used 1920x1080 screens for above 30€, I don't see a reason to buy one, I can play in 720p just fine and my current monitor still works after 8-ish years.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Yeah... I'm playing on a 17" 1280x1024 VA monitor too. Even though I could get used 1920x1080 screens for above 30€, I don't see a reason to buy one, I can play in 720p just fine and my current monitor still works after 8-ish years.

Mmn, I only got one because I have the PC to play at 1080p, I wanted my own monitor (my 1440x900 19", and an older 1280x1024 17" are both my dad's) and I needed a screen with a digital input because using a DVI - VGA adapter was causing weird interference in the image.

Oh, and damn IPS is beautiful!

The 750 Ti isn't that bad, it can run BF4 at 1080p at 44FPS average.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.
Am I getting an actually new card or is it just a rebrand? Find out here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222806-what-rx-200-series-card-is-what-7000-series-card/

I don't know what to say. What's with the 'ooh it's a magic box and if you even look at it the wrong way you'll displease the gods, cause it to catch on fire and disgrace the family name'? At a hardware level it's no different to working on a car. Opening the bonnet too many times won't suddenly cause it to explode.....

Well from a mechanic's perspective, sometimes mechanical items are press fit together, and frequently disassembling them could cause enough material wear to increase the tolerances and hinder function. Sometimes, the tolerances are intentionally too tight, so that the material may wear to a "perfect" break-in. As far as car parts, the brake pads would be an example. It's not that idiotic to believe taking something apart over and over can damage it, though in the case of a PC it doesn't apply.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) SSD: Crucial M500 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W Optical Drive: ASUS DVD-RW | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout

Well from a mechanic's perspective, sometimes mechanical items are press fit together, and frequently disassembling them could cause enough material wear to increase the tolerances and hinder function. Sometimes, the tolerances are intentionally too tight, so that the material may wear to a "perfect" break-in. As far as car parts, the brake pads would be an example. It's not that idiotic to believe taking something apart over and over can damage it, though in the case of a PC it doesn't apply.

I'm not a mechanic, so I'll take your word on this. Obviously, if you have a part that fits exactly, then moving it too much will cause wear from friction (just like a part that moves on its own), but in my anology I was doing a more direct comparison to what was stated in the post I quoted (ie opening the side panel, or opening the bonnet/hood which would be similar things)

The 750 Ti isn't that bad, it can run BF4 at 1080p at 44FPS average.

Yeah but there are people I know that think the higher the number, the better the graphics card is. Like a 660 and a 750. My friend would choose 750 because of the higher number,

Hi

Yeah but there are people I know that think the higher the number, the better the graphics card is. Like a 660 and a 750. My friend would choose 750 because of the higher number,

Oh, I see. I used to think so too. Thought a GT610 is better than a 330.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.
Am I getting an actually new card or is it just a rebrand? Find out here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222806-what-rx-200-series-card-is-what-7000-series-card/

The laptop is beyond repair. It's like a car that's been totaled. It's also really disgusting, there's weird brown crust on the edge of the trackpad.

Why don't people actually care for their electronics or appliances in general? For example: if they trash their car, they will lose a lot of money on repairs or spending their savings on a new vehicle. I just don't get certain types of people. :mellow:

-snip-

I fully agree with that, I've heard so many times in the past "don't run too much programs otherwise the computer freezes or son, don't play (insert game title with awesome physics mechanics here) otherwise the computer crashes and it's all your fault.

(That's what my mother said to me 7+ years ago when I was playing Crashday, a racing game). <_<

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Why don't people actually care for their electronics or appliances in general? For example: if they trash their car, they will lose a lot of money on repairs or spending their savings on a new vehicle. I just don't get certain types of people. :mellow:

I fully agree with that, I've heard so many times in the past "don't run too much programs otherwise the computer freezes or son, don't play (insert game title with awesome physics mechanics here) otherwise the computer crashes and it's all your fault.

(That's what my mother said to me 7+ years ago when I was playing Crashday, a racing game). <_<

Well they are right about it freezing when you run too many programs (kinda) - My computer gets pretty sluggish and unresponsive then I'm using 8GB/8GB RAM (due to running a virtual machine), and when I close it, my computer becomes practically unusable while it saves the state and exits. Although it's not really a normal use case.

HTTP/2 203

Well they are right about it freezing when you run too many programs (kinda) - My computer gets pretty sluggish and unresponsive then I'm using 8GB/8GB RAM (due to running a virtual machine), and when I close it, my computer becomes practically unusable while it saves the state and exits. Although it's not really a normal use case.

I don't fully remember what I've did in the past but the term "multi tasking" was completely out of order, because of that slowdown they fought that I started "harming" the computer. I do understand that from one particular reason, we've returned so many PC's in the past because of overheating and or any malfunctions which made my mother and my family in general inconvenient with the entire "build your own PC" thing which I started looking at in 2011.

Edit: grammar error

my cousins are screaming when playing roblox at their party today. it sucks when you're the oldest there by 5 years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

my cousins are screaming when playing roblox at their party today. it sucks when you're the oldest there by 5 years.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I don't remember being hugely childish between 8 and about 12 and today it seems as if there's a growing amount of over-immaturity in some children. There's being a kid, and then there's acting with the mental capacity of a selfish/attention-seeking and irresponsible four-year-old.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I don't remember being hugely childish between 8 and about 12 and today it seems as if there's a growing amount of over-immaturity in some children. There's being a kid, and then there's acting with the mental capacity of a selfish/attention-seeking and irresponsible four-year-old.

Agreed. Heck, October will mark 2 years since I stopped playing video games and stopped acting like a selfish, screaming, annoying 4-year-old.

My mom finally gave in and my dad installed IE Killer and AdBlock on my mom's laptop, thank the lords.

I'm going to buy a G550JK next year with my own money because I'm tired of using a shit laptop.

LTT's OFFICIAL ASIAN NEW YORKER!

Agreed. Heck, October will mark 2 years since I stopped playing video games and stopped acting like a selfish, screaming, annoying 4-year-old.

My mom finally gave in and my dad installed IE Killer and AdBlock on my mom's laptop, thank the lords.

I'm going to buy a G550JK next year with my own money because I'm tired of using a shit laptop.

HEY! playing video games isn't childish! ;-).

-snip-

I feel offended now, thanks a lot WinNut...

:P

Hooray! No more viruses on your mom's laptop ;)

HEY! playing video games isn't childish! ;-).

I'm not sure he was implying that all video games are childish, just that he stopped playing them (for whatever reason) and at that time also realised he should act a bit more mature. Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth WinNut :P

My mom finally gave in and my dad installed IE Killer and AdBlock on my mom's laptop, thank the lords.I'm going to buy a G550JK next year with my own money because I'm tired of using a shit laptop.

Why did you stop playing videogames? And correlation doesn't mean causation, read "The Art of Thinking Clearly" and not all people who play videogames are childish.

I bet you haven't ever even played any quality games like Diablo, the Souls series or even the VALVE games. Your definition of videogames is most certainly Roblox, CoD and Minecraft. I understand you probably don't think of all videogame players as such, but there's no need to act narcissistic and brag about "not being immature or playing videogames anymore".

omg 2 yrs ago i stahpd plying vidyagaems and nuw im not slfish or immature lol

Furthermore, you're 13. So am I (well I will be very soon). October 4th will be the day three years have passed since I turned 10. Cool.

In the words of fungo, PRAISE THE SUN!!!111!!1!1one!1!1!!3-2!11!1!

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

I can't have my pc connected to my router because the wire is apparently a "tripping hazard"

Why not use Wifi? ;)

My Systems:

Gaming:

Spoiler

RUSTIC PC: FX-8350 @4.6GHz // Deepcool Gammaxx 400 // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB DDR3 @1600MHz // Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G // Samsung 840 120GB SSD + 2x 1TB Seagate 7200 HDDs // Cooler Master V650 PSU // Vintage wooden crate enclosure // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter // Build Log

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Linux Mint 19.3(beta) Cinnamon

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // Corsair 1x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS