Experiences with non-techies

Carpet?

[snip]

Tape = problem solved.

One thing society needs to realize:

Exercise =/= Sports.

Umm... What does that have to do with this thread?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

One thing society needs to realize:

Exercise =/= Sports.

Yep. That's what I stated exercise in my post rather than sports. There are myriad ways to exercise other than sports. Gym routines, long walks, drumming (depending on the piece it can be a real workout), conducting (again, I've been conducted by many who work up a sweat during a performance), stretches, and stuff like bike rides.

I enjoy cycling as something to do, but not as a sport. Sure I'm competitive and will race friends for a bit of fun, but it's just something I enjoy - seeing how fast I can get down a certain hill or how long I can pedal at max power etc. I've had some scary moments where I've almost crashed, or actually crashed (with no injuries) but they can make it a little more enjoyable sometimes :P

It's related to a few of us who went down the 'society makes videogames a scapegoat' route and got a little sidetracked! On the whole, though, there is this distinction between 'techie' and 'sportsman' where they are mutually exclusive for some reason. It's this distorted brain vs brawn argument and does injustice to both sides of the argument.

This thread is about non techies, a lot of which diffrentiate with us because we choose to do non-competitive forms of exercise like walking, jogging as opposed to consuming sports media products and helping this advertising tool.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

With my grandma I have Some funny stories:

She has a laptop, and there is a latch to push to the right an then the spring pushes the display a bit up.

What she ended up doing:

She thought it was a "retaining clip" and ripped the latch right off...

And in the beginning when she needed to learn how to use her ipad, she called me saying, how do I get out the little envelope icon on my ipad.

After saying 10 times that she needed to push the home button, she didn't get it.

Only after I said it was the only hardware button on the front glass.

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

One day my friend said he wanted to buy an iMac, he asked me where and what the "computer" part of the iMac was and asked if it was the black thing (mac pro). Facepalm.

On another note, he wants to play battlefield 4 and the latest games (like watchdogs) on his laptop, a Ivy Bridge i5 computer with 8 GB of RAM and Intel integrated HD4000 graphics. 

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

So yesterday i was talking with my parents via skype and had this crazy up to 3 second delay. My parents always tries to persuade me that my internet is causing problem. I am sitting on ADSL 20 down and 2 up while they are using crappy 3G modem in poorly covered village. So basically when the rain starts you can forget about any 3G/4G internet in that area :D

Once at primary school I spent a week designing a game. And I visited my dad and wanted to show it to him.  

I plugged the flash drive into his computer and his antivirus asked him whether he wanted to scan the drive.  He thought it was a virus and ripped it out.  My USB got corrupted...  

LOL. My aunt still uses windows vista and I ask her why she doesn't use windows 7, she says its because "it will make my computer slow" (her computer is a toshiba and has a 1.5ghz centrino duo.)

My Auntie says she doesn't need to backup because her macbook 2007's hard drive is super stable and will last forever.  

my cousins are screaming when playing roblox at their party today. it sucks when you're the oldest there by 5 years.

my brother does the same.  Him and his friends were playing gangnam style so loud the neighborhood could hear it, and my friend lives next door.  So he could hear it too *Facepalm* 

my brother does the same.  Him and his friends were playing gangnam style so loud the neighborhood could hear it, and my friend lives next door.  So he could hear it too *Facepalm* 

Children make me wonder in this day in age, people do as well, and society is definitely not at it's best time....

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

People that come up to the store with their whole family, pick out the very cheapest laptop, demand a discount because it's "way too expensive" and cause a big scene in the middle of the store, then they call you 10 times for assistance over the phone or TeamViewer, then within 2 weeks they manage to fuck it up anyways and they come back to the store furiously demanding us remove RegClean Pro and MyPCBackup.. "Oh we thought we needed those, it said our pc was slow and had outdated drivers..."

Happens waaaaay too often than it should.

I fixed up someones pc because they got scammed by those Microsoft guys and the scammers installed a program that stopped the computer from booting into windows...

some people need to use common sense.  

This guy who's practicing fencing with me keeps on trying to convince me that Ailenware is SOOO AMAZING and that you cNt build anything like their computers. He says that the strongest Alienware PC is the best computer in world. Period. Oh my god...

My friend wanted to get an Alienware computer, he said they were the most poweful computers in the entire world.  

In my experience you usually have to be really patient when working with people who don't understand computers. I have lost track on how many times i have taught my parents to copy and paste but I keep helping them. 

Children make me wonder in this day in age, people do as well, and society is definitely not at it's best time....

true.  I can remember when I was a kid, I would cut my feet climbing up trees, graze my knees in the playground and when I had a birthday party we would be playing soccer on the field.  

Nowdays, the kids are playing fruit ninja on their phones and listening to inappropriate song they don't even understand.  What has the world become lol.  

In my experience you usually have to be really patient when working with people who don't understand computers. I have lost track on how many times i have taught my parents to copy and paste but I keep helping them. 

same here.  My Auntie is the only one who keeps everything I say to her in her brain.  So now she is like the only non-techie that doesn't have one virus.  

Don't be hatin' on dat 1meg internet - I live with it too! One day it got up to 1.1meg!!! :D 480p video actually loaded!!! But really, she has the ability to upgrade, and I don't know what she's paying but $5 more per month would grant her enough so that she was getting more speed for her money. I, currently (until they activate the fibre cabinets on the main road) can't get an upgrade an am getting something close to 0.03meg/£ (not sure exactly how much it cost us per month). Compare that to £10 more per month and 36meg I'll be getting with fibre, that'll be 1.1meg/£ - wow such improvement many speed such video wow.

But, I can't believe she got a new computer (did you buy it or were you just helping her choose) and then didn't use it for some reason and then sold it for less than it was bought. If you're gonna sell something worth some money don't you normally get someone to evaluate it (or at least your family to help you)?

I Helped her choose, we went to this store in Canada called Memory Express. I guess I just can't stand 1mbps since at my home (compressed) 4K video loads without buffering. The $5 a month extra is actually $10 extra and is to upgrade to 10mbps (Canadian internet prices; which makes her pay $44.99 for internet right now or $55 for the 10 times faster internet) but I asked her if she would upgrade even if it is only $5 more and she said no.

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

Once at primary school I spent a week designing a game. And I visited my dad and wanted to show it to him.  

I plugged the flash drive into his computer and his antivirus asked him whether he wanted to scan the drive.  He thought it was a virus and ripped it out.  My USB got corrupted...

RIP in peace m9

Yeah it's not just IT she's bad at, she had a month off last year and we went from the lowest earning branch to the highest :D and she has no product knowledge and refuses to learn it

I'm sure your receptionist is blaming you for not being able to recover the data

That is always the way the shit floats to the top. Thing is she will probably stick around longer than anyone else.

The receptionist didn't have a chance to blame me for her data because I sat her down and explained all the possibilities of how the drive was perfectly reformatted including aliens sneaking in and wiping the drive. and then went into a grand list of why we have file servers and why she has access to them and even has her own folder on one of them.

My Auntie says she doesn't need to backup because her macbook 2007's hard drive is super stable and will last forever.  

Your auntie is going to lose all of her shit one of these days and you will be able to stand there and say in an incredulous tone "Do you not have a backup?!"

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

That is always the way the shit floats to the top. Thing is she will probably stick around longer than anyone else.

The receptionist didn't have a chance to blame me for her data because I sat her down and explained all the possibilities of how the drive was perfectly reformatted including aliens sneaking in and wiping the drive. and then went into a grand list of why we have file servers and why she has access to them and even has her own folder on one of them.

Your auntie is going to lose all of her shit one of these days and you will be able to stand there and say in an incredulous tone "Do you not have a backup?!"

yeah, she'll loose everything.   

stating to feel like every bloody person that posts in new builds and planning knows so little about tech to read the obvious read before posting...

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed