Experiences with non-techies

Well they are right about it freezing when you run too many programs (kinda) - My computer gets pretty sluggish and unresponsive then I'm using 8GB/8GB RAM (due to running a virtual machine), and when I close it, my computer becomes practically unusable while it saves the state and exits. Although it's not really a normal use case.

I don't fully remember what I've did in the past but the term "multi tasking" was completely out of order, because of that slowdown they fought that I started "harming" the computer. I do understand that from one particular reason, we've returned so many PC's in the past because of overheating and or any malfunctions which made my mother and my family in general inconvenient with the entire "build your own PC" thing which I started looking at in 2011.

Edit: grammar error

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

my cousins are screaming when playing roblox at their party today. it sucks when you're the oldest there by 5 years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

my cousins are screaming when playing roblox at their party today. it sucks when you're the oldest there by 5 years.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I don't remember being hugely childish between 8 and about 12 and today it seems as if there's a growing amount of over-immaturity in some children. There's being a kid, and then there's acting with the mental capacity of a selfish/attention-seeking and irresponsible four-year-old.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I don't remember being hugely childish between 8 and about 12 and today it seems as if there's a growing amount of over-immaturity in some children. There's being a kid, and then there's acting with the mental capacity of a selfish/attention-seeking and irresponsible four-year-old.

Agreed. Heck, October will mark 2 years since I stopped playing video games and stopped acting like a selfish, screaming, annoying 4-year-old.

My mom finally gave in and my dad installed IE Killer and AdBlock on my mom's laptop, thank the lords.

I'm going to buy a G550JK next year with my own money because I'm tired of using a shit laptop.

Agreed. Heck, October will mark 2 years since I stopped playing video games and stopped acting like a selfish, screaming, annoying 4-year-old.

My mom finally gave in and my dad installed IE Killer and AdBlock on my mom's laptop, thank the lords.

I'm going to buy a G550JK next year with my own money because I'm tired of using a shit laptop.

HEY! playing video games isn't childish! ;-).

-snip-

I feel offended now, thanks a lot WinNut...

:P

Hooray! No more viruses on your mom's laptop ;)

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

HEY! playing video games isn't childish! ;-).

I'm not sure he was implying that all video games are childish, just that he stopped playing them (for whatever reason) and at that time also realised he should act a bit more mature. Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth WinNut :P

My mom finally gave in and my dad installed IE Killer and AdBlock on my mom's laptop, thank the lords.I'm going to buy a G550JK next year with my own money because I'm tired of using a shit laptop.

Why did you stop playing videogames? And correlation doesn't mean causation, read "The Art of Thinking Clearly" and not all people who play videogames are childish.

I bet you haven't ever even played any quality games like Diablo, the Souls series or even the VALVE games. Your definition of videogames is most certainly Roblox, CoD and Minecraft. I understand you probably don't think of all videogame players as such, but there's no need to act narcissistic and brag about "not being immature or playing videogames anymore".

omg 2 yrs ago i stahpd plying vidyagaems and nuw im not slfish or immature lol

Furthermore, you're 13. So am I (well I will be very soon). October 4th will be the day three years have passed since I turned 10. Cool.

In the words of fungo, PRAISE THE SUN!!!111!!1!1one!1!1!!3-2!11!1!

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

I can't have my pc connected to my router because the wire is apparently a "tripping hazard"

Why not use Wifi? ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Why not use Wifi? ;)

Because WiFi "causes cancer"... Courtesy of mainstream media in my country

Because WiFi "causes cancer"... Courtesy of mainstream media in my country

HA! That's what my aunt says. She turns off their router when ever not using their PC. I then pointed out to her that we are all surrounded and bombarded with wifi and other wireless signals pretty much anywhere you go. She still turns it off. -_-

I will say this though; I moved our router in our house to a different location a couple months ago (so it could be hardwired to my PC and the HTPC for Steam in-home game streaming with minimal latency) and the two plants beside it started to not do so well. Might be a coincidence, might not. Just an observation. Wife made me move the router further away from them, so we shall see if they perk up again... In this case, I'm talking about the router sitting literally right beside the plants. Perhaps being that close can have an effect...? I suppose it's debatable.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

HA! That's what my aunt says. She turns off their router when ever not using their PC. I then pointed out to her that we are all surrounded and bombarded with wifi and other wireless signals pretty much anywhere you go. She still turns it off. -_-

I will say this though; I moved our router in our house to a different location a couple months ago (so it could be hardwired to my PC and the HTPC for Steam in-home game streaming with minimal latency) and the two plants beside it started to not do so well. Might be a coincidence, might not. Just an observation. Wife made me move the router further away from them, so we shall see if they perk up again... In this case, I'm talking about the router sitting literally right beside the plants. Perhaps being that close can have an effect...? I suppose it's debatable.

Maybe it's just a result of the heat being given off by the plants. But you should absolutely do a controlled experiment to see what happens (if you can).

HTTP/2 203

Please do the experiment and post it on the forums... It would be interesting to see if there's something that would come out...

When I said that I stopped acting childish, there was no relation to me not playing video games, I stopped playing them to put forth more effort to my studies and I stopped acting childish as in I changed my personality. No relation exists between the two. Sorry if anybody was offended. :(

EDIT: my parents never let me play decent games (they think that it will turn me into some sort of emo psychopath/murderer) so I can't really comment on the topic, although I would like to play said games once the overload of studies are over.

EM fields don't cause cancer, don't believe anyone who tells you that. Even living under a 400 kV powerline would not cause any health issues due to magnetic fields, and a measly 1 W radio transmitter would? Oh please...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

This is what I call mother fuck uppery.

Where did the facepalm go? NOOOOOOO!

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Maybe it's just a result of the heat being given off by the plants. But you should absolutely do a controlled experiment to see what happens (if you can).

I meant the plants started to not do as well when the wifi was moved right next to them (within 2 feet). Or so my wife says - they looked ok to me, but I never paid close attention to them before that. lol.

EM fields don't cause cancer, don't believe anyone who tells you that. Even living under a 400 kV powerline would not cause any health issues due to magnetic fields, and a measly 1 W radio transmitter would? Oh please...

I agree with you it doesn't cause cancer. However, some people and other living things can be effected by Em fields. It's called EM hypersensitivity. I'm not saying our wifi router is causing cancer in the plants right next to it, but it is totally possible that the EM field it's giving off is strong enough [up close] to somehow harm some part of it's biological system. 

Perhaps I'll do a more controlled test of this and see what happens. As I said before, it may have just been a coincidence. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

My friend called me in a panic because her internet "didn't work" and she had to take a test that night. I calmed her down and she explained when she opened Internet Explorer *eye roll*, it said her proxy configuration was incorrect. I asked her if she changed that and she firmly said she didn't. I walked her through to resetting it to the default configuration. I still wonder how she messed it up.

EM fields don't cause cancer, don't believe anyone who tells you that.

Rather think the jury is out on that one.  Some (most) people say there is no way it could, but at the same time there are others convinced that this stuff isn't good for you.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Rather think the jury is out on that one. Some (most) people say there is no way it could, but at the same time there are others convinced that this stuff isn't good for you.

Radio waves are hardly ionizing radiation, they don't have the energy to break chemical bonds in DNA. As for other EM fields, their strength would have to be truly colossal to affect people. We had quite a conversation with a professor in our power engineering course regarding this topic.

But hey, I could be wrong...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

This is a little OT, but I've never played roblox, I've only briefly heard about it, so what is so bad about it, i'd like to know.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

one day i was trying to fix a broken fan inside my computer and when i was idleing i got really high temperatures so, i took off the side panel and put a fan running next to it, then my grandma comes in my room and starts touching a bunch of random things after i told her not to....    i was lucky nothing got fried

not really a non-techie thing but kindof related 

one day i went to my (other granmas) house and i had to do a  school project on her computer and i turned it on and there was windows vista i just bursted out in laughter

LOL. My aunt still uses windows vista and I ask her why she doesn't use windows 7, she says its because "it will make my computer slow" (her computer is a toshiba and has a 1.5ghz centrino duo.)

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply