Experiences with non-techies

So I work in a small (one room) restaurant in a small town in the middle of rural Wisconsin. My boss said that she needed to get her desktop working while she's looking for a replacement laptop for the loaner she has. Her rig? Pentium III, 762mb RAM, and an 80gb HDD. With an old (2000ish) Dell 15" LCD. The guy who had set the thing up previously and installed Ubuntu on it had failed to inform her of the password, and is now, as far as I know, in prison. So, I install Ubuntu 14.04 on it, get everything set up and working on a wired internet connection... and man, is this thing slow. Sitting at the desktop, even. Opening the settings. Typing in a spreadsheet was SLOWER than molasses. You could bake a batch of cookies before you could get a character to appear. And now I'm waiting on a USB Wifi adapter that will, hopefully, work. Since she has no wired internet connection. Somehow. 

So I work in a small (one room) restaurant in a small town in the middle of rural Wisconsin. My boss said that she needed to get her desktop working while she's looking for a replacement laptop for the loaner she has. Her rig? Pentium III, 762mb RAM, and an 80gb HDD. With an old (2000ish) Dell 15" LCD. The guy who had set the thing up previously and installed Ubuntu on it had failed to inform her of the password, and is now, as far as I know, in prison. So, I install Ubuntu 14.04 on it, get everything set up and working on a wired internet connection... and man, is this thing slow. Sitting at the desktop, even. Opening the settings. Typing in a spreadsheet was SLOWER than molasses. You could bake a batch of cookies before you could get a character to appear. And now I'm waiting on a USB Wifi adapter that will, hopefully, work. Since she has no wired internet connection. Somehow. 

Your boss should probably try to invest into a newer computer.

Also welcome to the forum!

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Your boss should probably try to invest into a newer computer.

Also welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Been following Linus for a good few years now, just finally joined today. She should be getting a Macbook of some sort shortly. I know, I know, but she likes the OS and is accustomed to it. The easier for her, the better. 

Console gamers forcing their consoles to run in a enclosed or dusty atmospere and never clean them and wonder why they overheat/get the red ring of death. I have heard stories about the dust.

Console gamers forcing their consoles to run in a enclosed or dusty atmospere and never clean them and wonder why they overheat/get the red ring of death. I have heard stories about the dust.

Speaking of dust, my rig got real dusty very quickly. But after I cleaned it a few months ago, it hasn't picked up a single speck. What's going on...

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Speaking of dust, my rig got real dusty very quickly. But after I cleaned it a few months ago, it hasn't picked up a single speck. What's going on...

I'd been cleaning the inside of mine once every couple months, but never thought to check the front intake. Yeah. I wondered why the LED wasn't shining that bright through the front and it turned out that I'd let it accumulate 7 months' worth of dust :o You could peel the dust off it, man. It was like a negative copy of the fan filter! I've got a pic, but it's on my phone and I need to head off to bed (yay for UK time)

I'd been cleaning the inside of mine once every couple months, but never thought to check the front intake. Yeah. I wondered why the LED wasn't shining that bright through the front and it turned out that I'd let it accumulate 7 months' worth of dust :o You could peel the dust off it, man. It was like a negative copy of the fan filter! I've got a pic, but it's on my phone and I need to head off to bed (yay for UK time)

Heh. It's 1:22AM here in Estonia.

My computer hasn't picked up a single spec of dust since i got it but that was may. does the season have something to do with it?

i am in scotland and it is dark here

Heh. It's 1:22AM here in Estonia.

Damn, guy :P I don't do past midnight on computer; phone in bed is a whole nother (that expression looks really derpy written down) matter! Relax to some YouTube

My computer hasn't picked up a single spec of dust since i got it but that was may. does the season have something to do with it?

i am in scotland and it is dark here

I'd say location. Mine was under my desk on a carpet and my room gets kinda dusty.

I'd say location. Mine was under my desk on a carpet and my room gets kinda dusty.

Mine is also under my desk, but no carpet.

Same as mine, cept it doesn't get dusty. I have no dust filters so I have no idea how it doesn't get dusty. My bro's (jambls) pc is in a similar position to mine.

Mine is also under my desk, but no carpet.

mine is on my carpet but my room windows get opened daily so that's got to help with dust. Sorry for the bad formatting I am on my phone now

Damn, guy :P I don't do past midnight on computer; phone in bed is a whole nother (that expression looks really derpy written down) matter! Relax to some YouTube

I would have said it would be "a whole other matter!"

Right, guess I'll shut down the UH57W729J (that's what I call this PC).

I would have said it would be "a whole other matter!"

Yeah that works too. Welcome to Conversing with an English English Language student (that looks dumb; substitute British for English) at late'oclock his time xD

Wait, aren't you in Scotland or did I imagine that??

Derp another = an + other. Makes sense.

I had a friend who bought 128 gigs of RAM for his desktop, because he wanted to run Minecraft at 60FPS.

What a waste.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

What a waste.

Yeah and he didn't even use all of it, his mobo only supported 32gb. No idea what he did with the rest.

Yeah and he didn't even use all of it, his mobo only supported 32gb. No idea what he did with the rest.

Probably chucked in the trash.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I had a friend who bought 128 gigs of RAM for his desktop, because he wanted to run Minecraft at 60FPS.

Because you know, Minecraft needs a whole lot of ram... lol

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Because you know, Minecraft needs a whole lot of ram... lol

yeh u need 1024 to run at 20 fps.

Notice how I didn't say GB? It's because I meant MB.