Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nillas12

Experiences with non-techies

^^Andrew, 

I hear you, no matter how many times we help others, they don't listen, break something or whatever, and contact us to fix it for free. Yeah, I finally stopped as well. Otherwise, it'll never end. 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

When I worked in first line support, I had a user call me who was based on the other end of the country. She told me that she had lost her laptop.

"Do you know where it is?", she asked me.

Take that in for a moment.... At least 300 miles away from me, never met her before, never been in her office at all.

"Do you know where it is?"

She called back roughly 30 mins later and told me she had worked it was in the cupboard, but it was locked.

"How do I open the cupboard?"

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

2 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

When I worked in first line support, I had a user call me who was based on the other end of the country. She told me that she had lost her laptop.

"Do you know where it is?", she asked me.

Take that in for a moment.... At least 300 miles away from me, never met her before, never been in her office at all.

"Do you know where it is?"

She called back roughly 30 mins later and told me she had worked it was in the cupboard, but it was locked.

"How do I open the cupboard?"

Call back, be like, “why you dumb?”

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB@3600  -  Strix 1070Ti  -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB  -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  LTT NH-D15  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3: Xeon X5670  -  MSI X58 Pro-E MS-7522  -  DDr3 6GB@1086  -  GTX 770 Titan Cooler  -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

DIYPc Cheapo Case  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro  -  1TB Hitachi@7200RPM  -  DvD drive 😎  -  Good Intel stock cooler

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110

1 minute ago, GrockleTD said:

Call back, be like, “why you dumb?”

LOL, I mean, I know some companies will put tracking software on their devices and stuff like that, but she had apparently worked for the company for over a decade so she would've known we didn't do that. But then the cupboard.... oh my days I mean come on man seriously

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

This is more of a "cool story, bro". 

I took a vacation day off work to be a guest speaker at my son's middle school. I taught several classes of 6th and 7th graders on desktop PC parts and how to build them. 

First, I gave a PowerPoint presentation to discuss the various parts and their role/purpose. Then, after a Q&A session, I had enough time to give about half of the class some hands-on training (after school, I showed the teacher how to assemble and disassemble so she could help the other students the next day who didn't get a chance). Using old Dell and HP desktop PCs from the XP and Vista days, I showed them how to remove the heatsink/fan, CPU, motherboard, RAM, and HDD. There was no GPU. Also, for safety reasons, I removed the power supply in advance. After assisting them on how to take it apart, I let them take turns putting it back together. 

Other than a couple of students who were obviously bored, majority of them were excited and learned pretty quickly. It was a fun day to teach them something I enjoyed doing. 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

16 minutes ago, mcbaes72 said:

This is more of a "cool story, bro". 

I took a vacation day off work to be a guest speaker at my son's middle school. I taught several classes of 6th and 7th graders on desktop PC parts and how to build them. 

First, I gave a PowerPoint presentation to discuss the various parts and their role/purpose. Then, after a Q&A session, I had enough time to give about half of the class some hands-on training. Using an old Dell and HP desktop from (Win98 and Vista days), I showed them how to remove the heatsink and fan, how to remove the CPU, how to remove the motherboard, and HDD. There was no GPU and for safety reasons, I removed the PSU. After showing them how to take it apart, I let them take turns putting them back together. 

Other than a couple of students who were obviously bored, majority of them were excited and were quick learners. It was a fun day to teach them something I enjoyed doing. 

How would a GPU be a safety concern?

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

How would a GPU be a safety concern?

I revised my post. I meant the power supply was removed in the advance before the kids started building. 

On 9/15/2019 at 11:40 AM, GilmourD said:

I think his school is fanfic.

No. The Morphsuit is 100 percent true. If I can grab a pic somehow without a phone. I'll post it on Halloween.

The Schnoz

12 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Also, this fiasco. It involved a school district using the webcams on school-issued laptops to take pics of students.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbins_v._Lower_Merion_School_District

WTF? Why? Why did they think this was a good idea?

Guides & Tutorials:

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Build Your Own DAS

In the Queue:

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

How to Setup Drive Sharing in Windows 10

How to Format a HDD/SSD in Windows

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

45 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Also, this fiasco. It involved a school district using the webcams on school-issued laptops to take pics of students.

Not non-techies. Just a bunch of creeps.

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

Toyota Corona appreciation month

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@4.0 GHz (1.35V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|Scythe Fuma 2|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|500GB Segate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Fractal Design Meshify C dark TG (4 intake 1 exhaust)|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Dell XPS 420:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Phone: Samsung Galaxy s8 64GB USA factory unlocked Midnight Black (with a 200 GB MicroSD card)

Laptop(s):

Acer Spin 15 64GB Chromebook:

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Acer 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display

A bunch of Dell Vostro 1000s

An old Powerbook G3

And an old 17" Macbook Pro Mid-2007

On 9/20/2019 at 10:05 PM, Schnoz said:

Oh, jeez, that's not legal...

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

snipity schnoz

why is there a hole in the IHS

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // FAQ

If you want to make a thread, check if there is another related thread first.

Don't be a light theme peasant

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE

5 minutes ago, Gegger said:

why is there a hole in the IHS

I think that's something like a breathing hole to cope with changes in external air pressure. It's still present in Intel and AMD CPU's, where there's a spot where silicon glue is not applied to IHS.

The Schnoz

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

I think that's something like a breathing hole to cope with changes in external air pressure. It's still present in Intel and AMD CPU's, where there's a spot where silicon glue is not applied to IHS.

why does the bottom left of the pcb part look like it's wood

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // FAQ

If you want to make a thread, check if there is another related thread first.

Don't be a light theme peasant

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE

25 minutes ago, Gegger said:

why does the bottom left of the pcb part look like it's wood

It's the color of most PCB's under the external coating. The green/blue/black, etc. coloring is only on the surface. 

The Schnoz

13 hours ago, sandvich64 said:

my dad can barley use windows ive tried teaching him to actually explore the os using the mouse but hes fixated on only using it whether or not he has a task

image.png.95006e9dd902179fccae811a5563dfc5.png

The Schnoz

11 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

image.png.95006e9dd902179fccae811a5563dfc5.png

windows 10 is for dummies.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

5 minutes ago, will4623 said:

I just like convenience.

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

Toyota Corona appreciation month

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@4.0 GHz (1.35V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|Scythe Fuma 2|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|500GB Segate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Fractal Design Meshify C dark TG (4 intake 1 exhaust)|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Dell XPS 420:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Phone: Samsung Galaxy s8 64GB USA factory unlocked Midnight Black (with a 200 GB MicroSD card)

Laptop(s):

Acer Spin 15 64GB Chromebook:

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Acer 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display

A bunch of Dell Vostro 1000s

An old Powerbook G3

And an old 17" Macbook Pro Mid-2007

9 minutes ago, will4623 said:

I'd personally take any Linux OS (but preferably Ubuntu) over Windows but for ease-of-use in terms of downloading games I stay with windows.

my terrible laptop: CPU: i5-2450M at 2.60 ghz base (however goes up to 3.30 ghz on any steam game i run. odd.) GPU: integrated Quadro NVS 4200m (garbage. the reason that this is terrible.) 6GB of ram, 300GB HDD. refurbished Dell Latitude Esomething. got it for like 140 bucks on amazon.

6 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

I just like convenience.

Only convenient when it works. Seems like MS is going a piss poor job on updates and breaking shit every 10 seconds. I gave up on Windows and moved to Linux. Sure, I cant play most of my Steam games, but I rather have a system that works then one that is flat out broken most of the time. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Only convenient when it works. Seems like MS is going a piss poor job on updates and breaking shit every 10 seconds. I gave up on Windows and moved to Linux. Sure, I cant play most of my Steam games, but I rather have a system that works then one that is flat out broken most of the time. 

Yeah, if Windows decides to mess up my updates for me, I'll probably install a Linux kernel on a backup drive and then run it.

The Schnoz