Experiences with non-techies

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

My friend asked me why I had two computers. (He's smart enough to see the 2 boxes on the floor, and knows that a monitor is not a computer.) I explained that they run different operating systems. After a long pause he asked, and I quote, "How is one a Mac if they're both PCs?", looking genuinely confused. I couldn't help but laugh. 

One is Ubuntu and one is Windows btw.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:08 PM, SpiderMan said:

So my mother has a Samsung S10 and her default web browser is the Samsung Internet App. When she goes to click on separate links in her emails, it automatically creates a new tab to that link. She exits the tab and goes on her way in emails and other things; creating more and more tabs until the app reaches 99 tabs open. She comes to me and says "Hey, can you fix this for me, it's saying there are too many tabs open and I don't know how to close them," so I help her and I show her what to do to clear all the tabs with a click of a button. I asked her if she understood how to clear them on her own and she said, "Yes, I can do that". 

A day or two goes by and we're back to the same position as when I showed her, "Hey, it's not allowing me to create a new tab again and I can't see XYZ". I do this so often, you think her doing her puzzle game everyday would make it actually *click* on what to do. 

I know it might sound...harsh, to be on your own parents but I expect if someone shows someone else something, to know how to do it after a couple tries before finally being able to do the task independently, but not constantly!!

My mom does that with the background apps on her iphone... Complains about it running slowly but cant figure out how to close the 30-ish bg apps...

Are school Chromebooks are very easy to fix software issues. (basically restart)

So a classmate has a crashed Chromebook and I just did a restart by power, esc and refresh.

of course it fixed itself and the kid goes how did you do that.

I just sigh really deeply

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

My mom does that with the background apps on her iphone... Complains about it running slowly but cant figure out how to close the 30-ish bg apps...

And even showing them how to close them and still not coming to fruition on how to do so from recollection....*sigh*

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

Are school Chromebooks are very easy to fix software issues. (basically restart)

So a classmate has a crashed Chromebook and I just did a restart by power, esc and refresh.

of course it fixed itself and the kid goes how did you do that.

I just sigh really deeply

Omfg Ido that for everyone in my class. Sometrs they just black screen on boot

But it's daily, and still no one remembers.

Makes me think about taking basic understanding of technology for granted.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

mine is once a month

me too

oh boy I wish I had a school recovery flash drive with me

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Best ones are always when they don't know how to close an application or worse don't know how to properly shutdown a device.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 minute ago, soldier_ph said:

Best ones are always when they don't know how to close an application or worse don't know how to properly shutdown a device.

I've experienced the other way round - they will always fully shut down the computer rather than just suspending/hibernating, even if there's no need to.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Ah yes the other post reminded me, half the time our school macbooks won't turn on. Like, refuse to boot. (You kinda just mash the power button a few times and swear and they work fine.) Or sometimes you close the lid, open it again and they've turned fully off and you have to boot them again.

5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I've experienced the other way round - they will always fully shut down the computer rather than just suspending/hibernating, even if there's no need to.

"obi wan" Meme Templates - Imgflip

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

11 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Had to show my boss that push the power button meant push and release, not push and hold till it turns off. He still does it when he borrows my flashlight, which turns it off and locks it from accidentally turning on.

Watching him use a computer is frustrating.

10 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I feel bad for you guys, in our schools they do have basic understanding of technology, or most of them, some don't know how to open google. But most do. Anyways, if you do a shortcut or anything "cool" they thing you're a pc nerd, and now because I know scratch, I'm a computer legend in my school

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

I'm a computer legend in my school

you don't earn that title until you've been inside the server rooms and network closets.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

you don't earn that title until you've been inside the server rooms and network closets.

At (at least my) school, its

you need to know how to use scratch to become somewhat familiar with tech

you need to know how to use shortcuts (mainly ctrl+w, ctrl+tab, ctrl+1(or 2, or 3, etc) to become a computer legend

if you can use a linux terminal your a hacker.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

nah in our school, know how to program something simple and everybody calls you that

56 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

have been inside the server rooms and network closets - well, some of them, anyway - and it's not really that exciting if I'm honest.

Honestly most of the teachers and lecturers are reasonably good with the tech. It did amuse me though when it required two IT support staff and several minutes of work to replace an audio cable (and it wasn't nicely routed or anything, just went from the desktop PC to a small amplifier unit on the wall next to it).

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

have been inside the server rooms and network closets, and it's not really that exciting if I'm honest.

its not exciting but it is funny to look at the mess, most in schools are just thrown together 0 care

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

have been inside the server rooms and network closets - well, some of them, anyway - and it's not really that exciting if I'm honest.

Honestly most of the teachers and lecturers are reasonably good with the tech. It did amuse me though when it required two IT support staff and several minutes of work to replace an audio cable (and it wasn't nicely routed or anything, just went from the desktop PC to a small amplifier unit on the wall next to it).

Our server closet is dusty as hell. I feel bad for the servers choking in there. There's also pretty much no ventilation and it's a tiny room.

My friend (same one from my last post) asked me why astronauts use Linux. I explained how it was an open source operating system and etc and how it could be modified to their needs. He just goes, "no, because they can't open Windows in space." I laughed until I realized he was dead serious. Think it was a joke he found online but didn't understand and thought it was some fact about how your license key doesn't work off-planet...

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

My friend (same one from my last post) asked me why astronauts use Linux. I explained how it was an open source operating system and etc and how it could be modified to their needs. He just goes, "no, because they can't open Windows in space." I laughed until I realized he was dead serious. Think it was a joke he found online but didn't understand and thought it was some fact about how your license key doesn't work off-planet...

Telling this to my dad.

Had a new experience today.

I guess I had a floppy disk in my jacket pocket (I visited my grandparents' house on Sunday and brought one home) but forgot about it. So I took it out during lunch and set it on the table.

Some random kid walks by, looks at it, then asks me "What is that thing?"
I reply "It's a floppy disk."
He says "Oh, those things that you put in a CD player and it spun around?"
Me: "No, that's a CD. This came before the CD."
Him: "So what do you put it in?"
Me: "A floppy drive."
He says (and I kid you not) "But how does it stay in if it can't hold its shape?"

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Telling this to my dad.

Had a new experience today.

I guess I had a floppy disk in my jacket pocket (I visited my grandparents' house on Sunday and brought one home) but forgot about it. So I took it out during lunch and set it on the table.

Some random kid walks by, looks at it, then asks me "What is that thing?"
I reply "It's a floppy disk."
He says "Oh, those things that you put in a CD player and it spun around?"
Me: "No, that's a CD. This came before the CD."
Him: "So what do you put it in?"
Me: "A floppy drive."
He says (and I kid you not) "But how does it stay in if it can't hold its shape?"

Well...

I'm guessing it was a 3.5? 

Also, I can tell something is hard plastic just by looking at it, and I think one of those would pretty obviously appear so. What kind of troglodytes do you go to school with? I've never had a floppy dissolve on me, personally. But that's just my limited experience.

16 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Our server closet is dusty as hell. I feel bad for the servers choking in there. There's also pretty much no ventilation and it's a tiny room.

Wow... ours actually has its own AC/ventilation separate from (and much better than) the rest of the building. As for the dust, there's a little bit but I wouldn't say they're choking.

pythonmegapixel

9 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Well...

I'm guessing it was a 3.5? 

Also, I can tell something is hard plastic just by looking at it, and I think one of those would pretty obviously appear so. What kind of troglodytes do you go to school with? I've never had a floppy dissolve on me, personally. But that's just my limited experience.

It was a 3.5" disk, but when I told him it went in a "floppy drive" he asked how the disk fit in if it flopped about.

Sorry that wasn't so clear.

elephants