Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nillas12

Experiences with non-techies

36 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I can understand all of that, but are you buying some super high wattage 80+ titanium psu for it to be 200$? Mine was about 70$

Corsair HX1000I costs slightly more than 200$ where I live.

Just now, Trinopoty said:

Corsair HX1000I costs slightly more than 200$ where I live.

Ah, you got the HX1000i. My CX550M was 74€ and my SFX Power 2 400W was 79€

Ryzen 5 1500X (2.8GHz@0.8875V) === ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/AC === 24GB DDR4 === Sapphire RX 570 4GB === Optane 800P 58GB === Patriot Burst 240GB === Toshiba Q300 240GB === beQuiet SFX Power 2 400W === Silverstone ML08B

Spoiler

OK, i'm not even gonna build this, but is this a good workstation?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($168.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: Samsung 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($256.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($179.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2130WX ATX Full Tower Case  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($23.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1745.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 12:48 EST-0500

30 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Ah, you got the HX1000i. My CX550M was 74€ and my SFX Power 2 400W was 79€

I had to upgrade because my XFX 750W one couldn't deliver enough power for my Vega 64.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:05 AM, GilmourD said:

Yeah, that's about it. The test is otherwise very similar. NJSLA is only for New Jersey. Not sure what it's called in other states.

I think it's still PARCC here, but Maryland is dropping PARCC this year.

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

Toyota Corona appreciation month

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@4.0 GHz (1.35V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|Scythe Fuma 2|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|500GB Segate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Fractal Design Meshify C dark TG (4 intake 1 exhaust)|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Dell XPS 420:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Phone: Samsung Galaxy s8 64GB USA factory unlocked Midnight Black (with a 200 GB MicroSD card)

Laptop(s):

Acer Spin 15 64GB Chromebook:

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Acer 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display

A bunch of Dell Vostro 1000s

An old Powerbook G3

And an old 17" Macbook Pro Mid-2007

Kind of a twist on this topic but funny. 

Helping my mom buy her first laptop. So we are in BestBuy looking at laptops when sales guy comes over to help.  Mom tells the sales guy she needs a new laptop as she is going to a Red hat convention.   Sales guy spends the next 5-10 minutes thinking that my mom works for Red hat (the software company) or that she is a hacker. Mom is oblivious to this and is talking about the Red hat as in old ladies in purple clothes. Then there is me trying not to laugh my ass off as neither one catches onto what the other is talking about.      

I work as an IT technician for a school. I have heard a lot of hilarious phrases, knowledge and ideas, sometimes it is very difficult not to laugh whilst explaining how something actually works. Today however, is a glorious day when all of the Sh** hits the fan as staff members and pupils alike forget how to use IT equipment that they've now probably been using for years... This day my friends... Is back to school day after the summer holidays. 

The following comments are only a few of which I heard today or was in conversation with as I was trying to help an individual.

- "I get a lot of gibberish text whenever I open a document from another device, is it because I am using Windows 9?" - They were in fact using Microsoft Office 2013 on a Windows 10 laptop, and, they were trying to open newer documents not supported by Office 2013. Neither Office or Windows 10 were activated. 

- "I've just had my summer holiday and I was expecting my laptop to have been worked on over the holidays, why was it not worked on? Plus I'm still on Windows 7!" - They had indeed taken their laptop home over the holidays, I can do nothing at this stage. I had also sent a notice out about a month prior notifying all staff members that any laptop with Windows 7 on it will need to be upgraded to Windows 10, and, must be left in their office or classroom before they leave for their holidays. 

- "We're really sorry sir, but the laptop screen cracked when we closed the lid of the laptop and we're not sure why. We were just fed up with how long it was taking to log in" - The kid had in fact slammed the lid of one of our laptops from science, but he closed it on his poor friends hands as he still had his hands on the laptops keyboard. 

The result of today is 20 to 30 tickets on our help desk of things that all staff members were happy with when they left for their summer break. I am tempted to give up and never help some of these folks again, as lovely as they may be. 

"If I don't seem to laugh very often, it will be because I sold my soul for good money." - Me 2019

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.4GHz - Asus Rampage Extreme IV - 16GB = 8 x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz Dimms - GTX 1080 HP OEM - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 480GB Kingston A400 SSD 1 x 1TB Seagate 7200rpm Drive - EVGA 750W GQ Gold+ Rating - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = NVidia Surround @ 75Hz - Akasa Venom R20 240 RGB Cooler & 5 x 120mm silent fans - BlueFinger Mechanical Keyboard - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 1809 64-Bit

Portable Devices: 

Dell Precision M6700 17" Workstation Laptop - Dell Latitude E6330 13" Business Laptop - Huawei Honor 9 Phone - Nintendo Switch

Screenshots of games I play

Spoiler

I am an Audiophile, therefore I share the below info with you:

Headphone set up: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's - Little Dot Valve Pre-amp with upgraded shenanigans

Speaker Setup: 2 x Beovox 1001 speakers & Akai AM-M11 audio amp - Behringer XM8500 Microphone with UM-2 Pre-amp - Marshall Major 2 portable headphones

Homemade custom Audio: TurtleBeach Earforce X11 cans with QiGOM 260Ω 40mm drivers (Studio grade sounding now)

Dunno if this counts as non–tecchies, but regardless; I started at a new school this year and was wondering how much people knew about PCs here, or what the "PC People" are like. Well, now I know. As a preface: we have some kind of school bulletin where you can advertise yourself or something you wish to sell. Some kid was trying to sell the following rig for the equivalent of 1000 USD: 

• Intel i7 8700
  • GTX 1060 3GB
  • 8GB of DDR4 2666Mhz RAM
  • Some Z370 motherboard. I don't know what brand, as it's in Chinese.
  • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
  • 400W PSU

I don't know about you all, but I feel that this is quite clearly a ripoff. I could build a PC for the same price that's at least 50% better. Maybe it's none of my business, but I feel bad for the person that ends up buying this PC for that price, and then later realises that they could have built it themselves for almost half the price (if not less). 

So, when I was on holiday with my parents a few years back, we were staying in a nice hotel in Austria.

One evening we decided to have a seat in the bar and enjoy the mountain view. On the table next to us there were two elderly couples having their best time of life. Suddenly one phone rang and the husband (I assume) handed the ringing phone to his wife. So she said all the stuff you'd normally say if you pick up your phone.......

Yeah about that....

She didn't pick up the call, until she opened the phone (an older flip phone), obviously the person calling hung up already.

At this point it's obvious to say that my parents and me were trying to keep a straight face. (Trying.....)

Dunno if I posted this, but here are two pictures I found online.

1. Screw "for improved mounting pressure and cooling" through the SoC of a Raspberry Pi:

asdf.jpg.26e33b1681da553fe7b4da036d2fb2dc.jpg

2. Soldering zinc pennies to a PS3 in an attempt to improve performance:

yueyddhgj.thumb.jpg.07f4ba92762d734e2ad88e8a840723bf.jpg

The Schnoz

Kids in school still using USB sticks (and losing them all the time, also they don't work half the time)  even though everyone has OneDrive. 

Also whenever I tell them what my hobby is, they always have to ask the same stupid Question: ArE yUo a hAcKeR ? 

#JustREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

2 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Kids in school still using USB sticks (and losing them all the time, also they don't work half the time)  even though everyone has OneDrive.

Death is a preferable alternative to cloud storage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Also whenever I tell them what my hobby is, they always have to ask the same stupid Question: ArE yUo a hAcKeR ? 

They probably don't have reliable internet at home, a lot of kids at my school don't.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

This is what happens to me when I bring an ergonomic mouse to school. Not /s

The Schnoz

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

This is what happens to me when I bring an ergonomic mouse to school. Not /s

only 1 of my friends knows what a trackball is

me: you know those arcade games with that ball thing?

THAT'S WHAT ATRACKBALLIS

fuck it my spcaebar isbroken

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // FAQ

If you want to make a thread, check if there is another related thread first.

Don't be a light theme peasant

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE

On 9/9/2019 at 4:34 PM, Pascal... said:

OneDrive sucks. I say that from a professional standpoint.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

I work in technical service at a home electronics store and this thread is more or less my jobb every day. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my job but after showing anyone over 60 how to use an smartphone or laptop (or anything) I want to cry a little bit. 

I know that not anyone know about tech like we here in the forum but really? How hard is it to open a locked smartphone by swping? 

On 8/30/2019 at 7:39 PM, wkdpaul said:

/r/TechSupportGore is one hell of a place ...

fwyQtZS.jpg

I'm sorry, but are those drill holes?  Trying to understand what has happened here.

And yeah, see some great stuff posted to that sub :D

46 minutes ago, Koeshi said:

I'm sorry, but are those drill holes?  Trying to understand what has happened here.

Drill holes. "To improve ventilation". /s

The Schnoz

1 hour ago, Koeshi said:

Yeah, I remember the story, the tech drilled holes in the back of the SSF case to mount it somewhere ... He did that twice ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Guide to run any software as Admin

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

people not ejecting flash drives properly then wailing when they can't get their data

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // FAQ

If you want to make a thread, check if there is another related thread first.

Don't be a light theme peasant

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE

5 minutes ago, Gegger said:

people not ejecting flash drives properly then wailing when they can't get their data

Device was removed unexpectedly

WTF are you on about Windows, I was totally intending on removing that USB drive, it wasn't unexpected!!!

VPN server guide

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Device was removed unexpectedly

WTF are you on about Windows, I was totally intending on removing that USB drive, it wasn't unexpected!!!

Had an instance this week where the lady just unplugged her 3tb external drive in the middle of copying files then was badgering me about recovering her data

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold, awaiting zen2 parts)

25 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Had an instance this week where the lady just unplugged her 3tb external drive in the middle of copying files then was badgering me about recovering her data

Yeah ... Usual (l)user bs!

VPN server guide

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Yeah ... Usual (l)user bs!

I don't think she liked the price I told her recovery would start at as a minimum ($300 USD) 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold, awaiting zen2 parts)