Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nillas12

Experiences with non-techies

7 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Ouuuuch...

For those of you who don't know, when trying to improve VRM cooling on my Ass Rock AB350M, the heatsink fell onto the unprotected back of my 1060, killing it.

sub_zero_mk2.png

10 hours ago, Schnoz said:

And the spark goes from your finger to the motherboard if you forgot your antistatic wrist strap.

*Livestrong Wireless Anti-Static Wristband

Every time ever that some idiot complains about how the Nvidia control panel looks or that it's a bugfest.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Every time ever that some idiot complains about how the Nvidia control panel looks or that it's a bugfest.

I mean, it’s not like they don’t have the budget to make it look less potato

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB@3600  -  Strix 1070Ti  -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB  -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  LTT NH-D15  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3: Xeon X5670  -  MSI X58 Pro-E MS-7522  -  DDr3 6GB@1086  -  GTX 770 Titan Cooler  -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

DIYPc Cheapo Case  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro  -  1TB Hitachi@7200RPM  -  DvD drive 😎  -  Good Intel stock cooler

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110

Just now, GrockleTD said:

I mean, it’s not like they don’t have the budget to make it look less potato

It's a waste of resources for something that the vast majority of people might see once a year at most. I'd rather see that go to making better graphics cards.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's a waste of resources for something that the vast majority of people might see once a year at most. I'd rather see that go to making better graphics cards.

Yes, I’m sure a multi billion dollar company company can’t afford to waste resources on improving the graphical interface for some of their software🙄

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Crosshair VIII hero  -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB@3600  -  Strix 1070Ti  -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB  -  Lian Li PC-011D  -  LTT NH-D15  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3: Xeon X5670  -  MSI X58 Pro-E MS-7522  -  DDr3 6GB@1086  -  GTX 770 Titan Cooler  -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

DIYPc Cheapo Case  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro  -  1TB Hitachi@7200RPM  -  DvD drive 😎  -  Good Intel stock cooler

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110

Yes, I’m sure a multi billion dollar company company can’t afford to waste resources on improving the graphical interface for some of their software🙄

It works, and it works well. It's rarely seen by users. There is no point in throwing money away.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I just got called a hardcore Nvidia fanboy, just because I don't buy into the whole "Muh Nvidia panel sucks" bullshit.

Idiot demonstrated that he hasn't been here long.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I just got called a hardcore Nvidia fanboy, just because I don't buy into the whole "Muh Nvidia panel sucks" bullshit.

Idiot demonstrated that he hasn't been here long.

?

?

I've been here for years, and anyone that has known me for that time would know that I have many positive opinions on Nvidia and recommend AMD over Nvidia in literally every segment AMD competes in.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I've been here for years, and anyone that has known me for that time would know that I have many positive opinions on Nvidia and recommend AMD over Nvidia in literally every segment AMD competes in.

i was confused, thought you had been referring to me

confused.png

Ryzen 5 1500X (2.8GHz@0.8875V) === ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/AC === 24GB DDR4 === Sapphire RX 570 4GB === Optane 800P 58GB === Patriot Burst 240GB === Toshiba Q300 240GB === beQuiet SFX Power 2 400W === Silverstone ML08B

Spoiler

OK, i'm not even gonna build this, but is this a good workstation?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($168.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: Samsung 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($256.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($179.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2130WX ATX Full Tower Case  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($23.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1745.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 12:48 EST-0500

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

confused.png

they are saying although they like Nvdia, they still recommend AMD

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

confused.png

Basically, I only like Nvidia's 1070 and up, only for gaming. Otherwise, AMD is very often the better route.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:26 PM, Schnoz said:

Yep. One of the resistors was knocked off.

Couldn't you solder it back on? Those surface mount resistors can occasionally be a total bitch to solder on to the PCB if your a noobie to soldering but it isn't that bad as long as your somewhat handy with a soldering iron. I've done a couple before, dude, it's not worth buying a new 1060. Just solder that little cunt on.

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2400 4 Cores, 4 Threads @3.4GHZ ( Turbo ) 

MOBO: Dell 980 1155 Motherboard

RAM: 2x4 DDR3 1333mhz generic ram

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB Zotac Mini 150+ core, 500+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 250gb Kingston A400 SSD + 1tb 7200rpm Hitachi HDD

CASE: Rosewill FBM-X1 Case

PERIPHERALS: Corsair K55 RGB Keyboard, Logitech G Pro Mouse

Personal Email Client, NAS, Website Hoster, and Game Server: 

CPU: Intel Xeon X5647 4 Cores, 8 Threads @2.93GHZ

MOBO: Dell Precision T3500 LGA 1366

RAM: 2x16 32GB 1066MHZ (PC3-8500) generic ram

GPU: Radeon HD 7670  65+ core 65+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 3TB Hitachi 7200rpm, 250gb Kingston A400 SSD 

PSU: Corsair TX750m semi-modular 80+ gold 750w

CASE: ( Literally no case, just sat on top of a cardboard box ) 

PERIPHERALS: Dell L100 Keyboard, Logitech G300s Mouse

Laptop: Dell Precision M6300

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2 Cores, 2 Threads @2.6GHZ

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800mhz sodimm 

GPU: Quadro FX3600M 512mb vram

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1920x1200

PERIPHERALSLogitech M705 Marathon

Just now, MS-DOS Guy said:

Couldn't you solder it back on? Those surface mount resistors can occasionally be a total bitch to solder on to the PCB if your a noobie to soldering but it isn't that bad as long as your somewhat handy with a soldering iron. I've done a couple before, dude, it's not worth buying a new 1060. Just solder that little cunt on.

The thing is, I can't find it. Even with a relatively powerful microscope, I still can't find it. And I don't have a soldering iron. And I found a deal on a $300 triple-fan triple-heatpipe 1660 Ti. But thanks for the suggestion.

The Schnoz

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

I like the Nvidia control panel....it's easier to use to me than the flashy AMD one.

Don't you know, the Nvidia control panel is the worst thing ever! So many people are saying how bad it is!!!

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

off topic question but what does /s mean?

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

Just now, will1432 said:

off topic question but what does /s mean?

Means end of sarcasm.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Means end of sarcasm.

got it!

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

Ok. So.

My aunty texts me the other day, asks if I have another hard drive she can use until she can get another one. I ask her if she means a USB thumb drive. She sends me a picture of the whole computer. Says it's been on the fritz and now completely shut down. I make plans to come get the computer to take it home to see what's going on with it. When I pick it up I get a little more detail, was using it and it froze completely, she had to shut off the power strip to turn it off. Came back a couple days later and it was not turning on.

I take it home and today and connect cables and try to power it on. Nothing happens when the power button is pushed. I pull the side panel and....So about a year ago she had an issue with one of her cats spraying. She rescues stray cats, most go to a shelter or good homes but some especially cute ones she keeps. She has 3 cats, 2 were rescues, and a rescue dog. When that one cat sprayed it killed two computer monitors because they're near a window, it would see another stray outside it had beef with, get all riled up, and spray whatever was near it.

So I open up the computer and am immediately hit with the odor or cat urine. I see the paperboard I had used to control airflow (case has a duct to the CPU,  inlet, and outlet fans, so I blocked the other vents to make sure the air was coming through the filtered front fan and that the CPU had straight cool air from it's side panel duct) was distorted from being wet and smelled terrible, there was sticky yellow dried urine on the case bottom, but the board power LED was lit. Press power button, nothing. Unplug 24 pin PSU connector and jump it, PSU fan just wiggles. Ok, PSU is dead it's a cheap ass Sparkle branded unit anyway so not surprise or loss. I grab a spare unit that's a known good, connect it, same thing. Ok, unplug board power switch header and short pins, same thing. Jump PSU 24 pin connector...same thing. Oh hell, this board smoked my good PSU!? I unplug the 4 pin header and jump the PSU on, it works. Do the same to the Sparkle unit, it also works.

Board has a short on the 12V somewhere. I don't have a spare mATX Socket 1156 board currently, so I'm lending her my HP EliteDesk SFF with 8GB and an i5 4590S. I just swapped her hard drive in and am fixing VirtualBox that's been broken for a while so she can boot up Windows7 in case she needs it for anything. This computer is WAY more computer than she needs but it's together and currently unused so it'll be on loan until I figure out what I'll do with the current mess. Might try to snag a used mATX board from ebay and just leave the CPU and RAM alone. I have some spare 4th gen stuff but it's parts I'd like to use for myself here.

Well it's like $150 to build the cheapest AM4 system I think I can assemble. So we're not doing new, sadly. I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced 1156 board on eBay that's not some weird SFF part or wholly integrated to a particular case and PSU. I have DDR3 already so that limits me to DDR3 systems in order to keep costs down. I may see if I can find a cheap good 1150 board and donate the 4460S to the cause.

On 2/4/2018 at 12:39 AM, aezakmi said:

Went to a friend's place because her computer wasn't working.

>try to turn it on, no response

>check the cables on the back everything seems ok

>wait there's something wrong here

>psu power output has two cables connected

>ask her why she did that and said she went to a hardware store with a drawing of the cable and asked the guys there for a longer cable because the one she had was too short, she plugged in both and boom goodbye computer

Later inspection revealed everything except for the cd reader was dead, and I got a free beer.

wait what ? hooking up to two outlets doesn't magically make it X2 the volt ?

Yeah that makes no sense, you can't plug two cables into the back of a PSU in the first place (not until you're at server level) and why wouldn't she just get a normal extension cable?