Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Nah see. The moose gets the cookies from the Keebler elves and brings it to me. In return I get cookie crumbs to vacuum to the cloud. Apple does some weird compression stuff. Something about a zip, but my zipper is always up. Moose double checks that for me. Then I get full cookies to sell!

Reveal hidden contents

download.jpeg.819b2eefa6f8b8bcc0b5c4743ae14a96.jpeg

How dare they touch our glorious Canadian moose. I shall be speaking to my local MP about this. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, Koeshi said:

It's a joke because Hoover is a brand name of vacuum cleaner like Dyson is.

Some people don't want/need/afford a smartphone.  Why is it an issue if people don't want to spend money on a luxury item?

Yes, I know...

6 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What there's a bakery involved now?! Damn young people turning the internet into some kind of Zoo. 

Already is. You got your chipzillas, your lobbytoads, your doge, your Trump-o-toupee (yes, sentient unassuming tufts of hair that attach themselves to their hosts is a thing) and most importantly.......NYANCAT.

Don't you love seeing those endangered poptart felines leave a trail of rainbows as they float around middair?

Just now, Results45 said:

It's already a zoo. You got your chipzillas, your lizard people, your lobbytoads, your doge, your Trump-o-toupee (yes, species of sentient unassuming tufts of hair that attach themselves to their hosts is a thing) and last but undeniably not least ~ NYANCAT.

Don't you love seeing those endangered poptart felines leave a trail of rainbows as they float around middair?

What's a chipzillas? MARGRET GET MY OXFORD DICTIONARY. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

6 hours ago, Voluspa said:

Nah see. The moose gets the cookies from the Keebler elves and brings it to me. In return I get cookie crumbs to vacuum to the cloud. Apple does some weird compression stuff. Something about a zip, but my zipper is always up. Moose double checks that for me. Then I get full cookies to sell!

Reveal hidden contents

download.jpeg.819b2eefa6f8b8bcc0b5c4743ae14a96.jpeg

You must be one of those Swedeonamoose:

e1LNx7ZjtsEBDIhVhQQNsQCiXd1YcEHlfkgPHO8s5rQ.jpg?auto=webp&s=b4e0f9f0ea4db5d888f5831ded805ba9c7faf0f0

On 9/18/2020 at 9:18 PM, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Trying to explain to my father that the Hoover didn't affect Wi-Fi got old...fast.

What's worse is for all I know he might have even be right all along and I was wrong.

Looks like I'm the idiot.

Looks like your father may have the post hoc ergo protcer hoc fallacy, where you asociate one thing with another merly because they happened in a certain order. (I got this vaccum, and then my wifi stopped working. Therefore, the vaccum must of messed with my wifi) also, even if you got a smart vaccum that can connect to the internet, there is no way a vaccum will cause EM interference in the 2.4/5Ghz range. Any interferance caused by things like to motor will be well into the kilohertz range if that. In fact, that is exactley what part 14 of the FCC sticker entails. 

2 hours ago, Tedstonegenious said:

Looks like your father may have the post hoc ergo protcer hoc fallacy, where you asociate one thing with another merly because they happened in a certain order. (I got this vaccum, and then my wifi stopped working. Therefore, the vaccum must of messed with my wifi) also, even if you got a smart vaccum that can connect to the internet, there is no way a vaccum will cause EM interference in the 2.4/5Ghz range. Any interferance caused by things like to motor will be well into the kilohertz range if that. In fact, that is exactley what part 14 of the FCC sticker entails. 

I get it.

However, I did read that there might actually be something in the idea of it interfering with the Wi-Fi signal.

Are you saying that's impossible?

7 hours ago, Results45 said:

or people who like to leave all their devices plugged into USB ports and don't upgrade their PC in 7 years:

For the record thats about the life time for one of my PC's. I work on the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality. Hell my old gaming rig is still in service from 2013 as a Plex server. While I think that might be a bit excessive on the USB ports, I have ran out of ports in the past. At least you know you're not going to run out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 9/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I get it.

However, I did read that there might actually be something in the idea of it interfering with the Wi-Fi signal.

Are you saying that's impossible?

EM interferance has to be done at the same (or atleast very simmular) frequency of what you're trying to interfere with. This is because what a radio (the lifeblood of every wireless devide) does is listen to one specific frequency and filter out the rest. So something that generates a 500khz signal not will not even touch something in the 2.4/5ghz range. which is what wifi operates under.

4 minutes ago, Tedstonegenious said:

EM interferance has to be done at the same (or atleast very simmular) frequency of what you're trying to interfere with. This is because what a radio (the lifeblood of every wireless devide) does is listen to one specific frequency and filter out the rest. So something that generates a 500khz signal not will not even touch something in the 2.4/5ghz range. which is what wifi operates under.

Then the old man was talking rubbish and I was right...cheers, mate.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:55 PM, Results45 said:

For people who like to leave all their devices plugged into USB ports and don't upgrade their PC in 7 years:

PR4AgpV94cdNNKXgrLF9jV-320-80.jpg

https://www.pcgamer.com/forget-about-usb-hubs-this-comet-lake-motherboard-has-20-usb-ports/

that is nothing if you have lived in the times where token ring network was a thing lol

On 9/19/2020 at 8:07 PM, Koeshi said:

Some people don't want/need/afford a smartphone.  Why is it an issue if people don't want to spend money on a luxury item?

In 2020 it's more of a tool than a luxury.

Might as well have no bank account.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Great old story from an old teacher of mine who previously worked in IT Support:

An old lady called them to help her with her pc, something wasn't working with some software she wanted to use. This story is old enough for the issue to involve a floppy disk.

They asked her to send them a copy of the floppy disk and she literally went the the library, photocopied both sides of her floppy disk and mailed them the printouts. 

A+ for effort but I don't think that's what they meant.

19 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

In 2020 it's more of a tool than a luxury.

Might as well have no bank account.

Its really not.  I've had times when my smartphone has died in me and o have had to go back to an old feature phone.  All it really does is reduce the amount of time I spend on Reddit and reading manga.

Also, some people still manage without bank accounts.  I don't know why they do it, but its possible.

31 minutes ago, Koeshi said:

Its really not.  I've had times when my smartphone has died in me and o have had to go back to an old feature phone.  All it really does is reduce the amount of time I spend on Reddit and reading manga.

Also, some people still manage without bank accounts.  I don't know why they do it, but its possible.

Yes it's possible, but 99.8%+ of people earning more than $40,000 a year likely have a bank account or have opened one with the initial intent of storing $$$ there.

Some subsisting off sub-minimum/minimum/minimum+some wages might not though.

That's where bank alternatives come in:

when someone is asking you if now is a good time to buy a new PC or laptop, and you tell them to wait for a month because Zen 3 processors are coming soon, and they proceed to tell you "yeah but there's always something new coming out soon that's better than what's available now." 

I mean... they're correct in the long-term, but getting non-techies to understand product cycles often backfires as there's no way to explain it without sounding like you have an agenda of some kind, or that you've got a few screws loose.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

3 hours ago, Koeshi said:

This is what I was thinking...

On 9/24/2020 at 12:19 PM, Koeshi said:

I would agree thats its more of a tool now also. Yea, there are luxary features in pratically every smartphone. But most buisneeses assume you have a phone, and they plan on you having one. Most resturants don't give a menu anyomore, they just have a qr code on the table for you to scan. And many buiisnesses rquire you to have 2fa on your accounts, a pracice I agree with and it hard to do without a phone. The latest and greatest tends to be expencive, duh. but it isn't that hard to get one that'll do the job for cheap. 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:56 AM, Teddy07 said:

disclaimer: non native english speaker

My father has a very high opinion of an electrician and praises him all the time for his knowledge and skill. He ignores the fact that he regularly screws up which leads to my father paying to solve his screw ups.

My father asked this guy to have a look at my sisters PC because she wants to connect it with her old TV through HDMI. The problem is that her new RX480 has HDMI 2.0 output and it only shows a black screen when connected with the TV because it has only HDMI 1.4. The electrician recommended that my sister swaps the power supply and replaces the GPU with a gtx 1050ti. She would have to pay a total of 210 € for having worse gaming performance and still having the same issue since the power supply is already good enough and the gtx 1050ti having also HDMI 2.0 output. I was honestly speechless but my fathers opinion of this guy hasn't changed one bit. 😤

How did I solve it?

My sister connected the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the motherboard. It however has to be connected with the HDMI port on the graphics card

I take this issue as the largest proof of people's refusal to read. I have yet to find a single motherboard/computer manual that does NOT at least three times in bold font, to not plug the hdmi port into the motherboard unless you have a prosessor with a igpu. 

When you see someone say you're buying a PS5 and have this in the marketplace ad....for $599.

PS5 Fake.JPG

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

That you should trust their experience and not what's written literally on the company webpage

Frankly I've heard/seen a lot of stupid things, but what makes me mad are those types of guys who act with conviction over this, and deal with you like you were the idiot