Experiences with non-techies

I'm noticing a lot of mums feature on this thread. 

I gave up trying to teach mine with mobile phones. Got her just a regular push button, programed all her numbers in. No matter how many times she was shown she couldn't find them. Multiple people trying so it's not just my bad teaching. 

Told her then to just keep her phone book and dial them when needed. She could never remember to press the green button to start the call. 

Tried her with a touch screen with a basic theme big clear buttons on it, and only the 2 on the home screen, call and contacts. Still no good, had to keep telling her it was a touch screen not a press screen. Couldn't put a lock screen on as she couldn't unlock it, so got more pocket calls than real calls. 

But to be honest if she had an emergency she could shout the way she does when using a mobile someone would hear. 

6 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

People who have smartphones but no data plan, can't you at least afford 1 gb or whatever it's now for emergencies.

Where do they even offer that?

Also... For what sort of emergencies? You don't need data to call 911. Also, we gave my 9.5-year-old son a smartphone and we don't want him chewing through data like Rush Limbaugh at a pie eating contest so I have his mobile data turned off. He connects to WiFi only.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

16 hours ago, GilmourD said:

Where do they even offer that?

Also... For what sort of emergencies? You don't need data to call 911. Also, we gave my 9.5-year-old son a smartphone and we don't want him chewing through data like Rush Limbaugh at a pie eating contest so I have his mobile data turned off. He connects to WiFi only.

Talk & text remains a thing in Canada.

Work emergencies, we mostly work through an app for messaging and scheduling. Once had to share a photo to confirm something but the reply was basically "sorry bro, gonna get back to you at home". Another time it was "sorry bro, didn't know I had to show up today as quick as possible".

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 2/9/2020 at 8:11 PM, Andreas Lilja said:

Work emergencies, we mostly work through an app for messaging and scheduling.

If it is for work then your company should provide you with a phone/plan.  If they don't then clearly it is not that important to them.  No reason to use your personal device/plan for work.

2 minutes ago, Koeshi said:

If it is for work then your company should provide you with a phone/plan.  If they don't then clearly it is not that important to them.  No reason to use your personal device/plan for work.

Here in the US its not uncommon for people to use their personal devices for work. As many dont want to have to carry two devices. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Here in the US its not uncommon for people to use their personal devices for work.

The same happens here, but if these people are not going to spend the money to have a plan that meets work requirements (which is fine), they should get a device/plan from their company that handles any requirements of their job.  Or get a personal dual-SIM device and just have work and personal plans in it.

One of the most stressful experiences I've had.

Christmas day, my grandparents got my little cousin a laptop. They ask me to set it up, set up his email account, and all other accounts he'd need. We also got him MS office, I set up all fine. No problem at all. While I was setting it up, it was on charge. The moment I finished, I left it to charge. Later on my cousin went to play with his new laptop, unplugged it and it switched off. Then he came and told everyone that I broke it and that it was my fault, started screaming and shouting. I then looked at it and realized the battery wasn't taking power. My grandparents then demanded I fixed it there and then. Of course, I don't know how to fix something like this. Little cousin left upset that his new laptop wasn't working.

Eventful Christmas day.

1 hour ago, Ecchi said:

One of the most stressful experiences I've had.

Christmas day, my grandparents got my little cousin a laptop. They ask me to set it up, set up his email account, and all other accounts he'd need. We also got him MS office, I set up all fine. No problem at all. While I was setting it up, it was on charge. The moment I finished, I left it to charge. Later on my cousin went to play with his new laptop, unplugged it and it switched off. Then he came and told everyone that I broke it and that it was my fault, started screaming and shouting. I then looked at it and realized the battery wasn't taking power. My grandparents then demanded I fixed it there and then. Of course, I don't know how to fix something like this. Little cousin left upset that his new laptop wasn't working.

Eventful Christmas day.

Didn't it just ran out of battery in the end ? 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Just now, Pascal... said:

Didn't it just ran out of battery in the end ? 

The battery didn't charge. At all. It wasn't taking power.

12 minutes ago, Ecchi said:

The battery didn't charge. At all. It wasn't taking power.

oh no, poor little cousin's free laptop wasn't working! i feel so bad for him :/

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

@Schnoz can i get some PC with my dust please?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I don't know if this is a 'non-techie' experience, but my mom always tries to talk to me when I have earbuds in. It's quite annoying because I have to take out an earbud and have her repeat what she was saying. It's kinda annoying.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:33 PM, Andreas Lilja said:

People who have smartphones but no data plan, can't you at least afford 1 gb or whatever it's now for emergencies.

Speaking to me

Why should I? I can make calls in case of emergency. I am nearly all the time where I have wifi available.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:12 PM, Marbo said:

I'm noticing a lot of mums feature on this thread. 

I gave up trying to teach mine with mobile phones. Got her just a regular push button, programed all her numbers in. No matter how many times she was shown she couldn't find them. Multiple people trying so it's not just my bad teaching. 

Told her then to just keep her phone book and dial them when needed. She could never remember to press the green button to start the call. 

Tried her with a touch screen with a basic theme big clear buttons on it, and only the 2 on the home screen, call and contacts. Still no good, had to keep telling her it was a touch screen not a press screen. Couldn't put a lock screen on as she couldn't unlock it, so got more pocket calls than real calls. 

But to be honest if she had an emergency she could shout the way she does when using a mobile someone would hear. 

Thankfully this doesn't apply across the board.  I wouldn't call my mom an expert, but she's comfortable using and sometimes troubleshooting tech.  She's also astute enough to recognize phishing scams, and if she has any doubts, she checks with me.

Really, the issue isn't so much with moms as it is people who neither grew up with tech nor were encouraged to adopt it as adults.  You see plenty of dads who act this way, too.

31 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

I don't know if this is a 'non-techie' experience, but my mom always tries to talk to me when I have earbuds in. It's quite annoying because I have to take out an earbud and have her repeat what she was saying. It's kinda annoying.

So Relatable. Same thing with my ANC Headphones and my mom.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:02 PM, Schnoz said:

*heavy breathing* NO!!! DON'T DO THIS!!! SPARE MY EYES!!!

pynG6.jpg

Reminds me of this. It was all over the tech part of the Internet.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/561041-980ti-darwin-awards-help/

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 hours ago, Koeshi said:

That’s kinda expected in the u.s,

my dads boss bought him all sorts of iPhones and iPads and whatnot and had a data plan, but they shared whole ass building plans and he was managing multiple crews, none of the actual workers got free phones.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

17 hours ago, scuff gang said:

That’s kinda expected in the u.s,

my dads boss bought him all sorts of iPhones and iPads and whatnot and had a data plan, but they shared whole ass building plans and he was managing multiple crews, none of the actual workers got free phones.

Thats weird.  I'm not US based, but I work for a US company and they are pretty free with the company phones for those who need them.  They are of course not free phones, they belong to the company and are tracked accordingly, but they don't expect people to provide their own device for work, its an option but not a requirement.

23 hours ago, Commodus said:

Thankfully this doesn't apply across the board.  I wouldn't call my mom an expert, but she's comfortable using and sometimes troubleshooting tech.  She's also astute enough to recognize phishing scams, and if she has any doubts, she checks with me.

Really, the issue isn't so much with moms as it is people who neither grew up with tech nor were encouraged to adopt it as adults.  You see plenty of dads who act this way, too.

My mom thinks she knows what she’s doing because she built a pc in ~2003 with the help of fries employees. This basically sums her up, she has three fucking ram sticks in her pc, THREE all matching Kingston sticks, she has no idea where the fourth one went.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I'm going to keep my parents on stock android forever. My dad when from an s4 mini to some cheap samsung that had a horrible verizon skin and him moving to a pixel3a XL was so hard for him. my moms s4 mini to s9 was so much easier cus of the lack of a horrible skin.

Like dad, the idea and placement is still the same it just looks slightly different.

My parents were complaining for a while I was using 'so' much power with my 6600k and a 970 or with my old servers (which usually only had 1 running lightly). They say that as they ran a core 2 quad with a 5770 24/7 365.

Funny data saving story related to that PC, I had just moved them to an SSD and so I had done a full picture and document backup. About a month later the HDD begins to die. had it died they would have lost the last year or 2 of pictures.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Don't know if this counts but I just read on here someone asking if an HDD can be overclocked.. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard: Asus Z170-Deluxe ATX LGA1151 Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8 GB) DDR4-3200 Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2-2280 NVME & 1TB HDD GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB PSU: Corsair RMi 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Monitor: Dell AW3418DW 34.1" Ultrawide Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower

Back when I was first getting into tech, I thought my PC was being slow because of the (10 year old) hard drives running at 7.2k rpm, but I did know that Western Digital sold 10k rpm drives. I thought that this extra speed would be all I needed, but didn't realize that it was probably because my PC was so old and running pretty slow hardware by today's standards. Now I have a much newer 5.4k rpm hard drive as my main/boot drive with decent hardware, and it's plenty fast for what I do. Boot times could definitely be improved, but it's surprisingly quick in pretty much everything else.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

20200220_155115.thumb.jpg.c4681f3579cf4074ae1e15b0b18d217d.jpg

Sorry, let me regain my composure from laughing majorly hard at this. 

Ahem 

First of all, you shouldn't be comparing a Canon Rebel to a Fujifilm X-T4 or similar class of camera. The Rebel is an entry-level camera designed for consumer applications and beginners. The Rebel doesn't have all that many fancy features because it is designed to be as cheap/affordable as possible whilst being simple enough for casual use and for beginners to understand before they move up to something more capable and advanced. 

The Fuji costs more because it is a much more capable camera in comparison. It has much more advanced autofocus technology than the Rebel, it has the ability to record DCI oversampled 4K at up to 60FPS at 10-bit 4:2:0 in-camera or 4:2:2 externally, is weather sealed and in the case of the X-T4, will probably be stabilized inside the body itself and such. All of those come at a premium. 

As to why the Rebel outsells it? Because it's cheap and simple, genius. The X-T4 (and the X-T3) are very capable but only few people like me can justify such a tool. For a lot of people who just want a dedicated camera to snap casual shots, that $400 Rebel does fine and guess what? That's a lot more of an audience than what the Fuji is targeting. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1