Experiences with non-techies

14 hours ago, Schnoz said:

I found this. A Core 2 Extreme, still at MSRP and still in stock...

image.png.6f7d648c4fd2a014169ceb94b058b9af.png

There used to be a small Computer Shop in my town that still had a Nvidia GTX 480 for 400.- that was literally besides a GTX 1070 for the same price ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Girl from our class refers to Over Ear Headsets as Beats.

My Teachers refer to In-Ears as Ear plugs.

A Guy from another Class bought the iMeme 11 and already dropped it, now walks around with a cracked Screen.

My school updated all the Windows PCs on Campus today (we have about 700 Think Centers) and they borked something up resulting in many Blue Screens and office not working in IT Class today.

Yeah regarding that IT Class: Basically what we do all year is learn all the basics about Word, Excel and PowerPoint and some Windows basics crap with some buggy af E-learning Program and I always have to cringe when my class asks the IT Teacher a stupid question like: I dOn'T kNoW hOw tO cOpY tHaT tExT iNtO tHaT oThEr dOcUmEnT.

And my IT Teacher always brags about having Back Ups of important stuff on multiple clouds and to always save the Document that you're working on regularly and bla bla bla. And today she lost an important Excel Spreadsheet.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

26 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

And my IT Teacher always brags about having Back Ups of important stuff on multiple clouds and to always save the Document that you're working on regularly and bla bla bla. And today she lost an important Excel Spreadsheet.

Did the IT teacher backup that important Excel spreadsheet into the recycle bin?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

22 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Did the IT teacher backup that important Excel spreadsheet into the recycle bin?

Probably not ?

4 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

-le snap-.

Shame upon them and their ancestors!

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

On 11/2/2019 at 1:33 PM, Pascal... said:

There used to be a small Computer Shop in my town that still had a Nvidia GTX 480 for 400.- that was literally besides a GTX 1070 for the same price ?

They hope an older lady will buy it one day for someone

This was from one of the local tech guys at work.

Tech: The VGA is broken, we need to replace it.

Officemate: Oh? You're replacing the cable?

Tech: No, the VGA not the cable.

Officemate: Uhm, can you point out what's actually broken?
Tech: *Pulls out the GPU* This is the VGA.

image.jpeg.70b6144ba3f8b7c9d5358a291836cdb3.jpeg

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

7 hours ago, Xiee said:

This was from one of the local tech guys at work.

Tech: The VGA is broken, we need to replace it.

Officemate: Oh? You're replacing the cable?

Tech: No, the VGA not the cable.

Officemate: Uhm, can you point out what's actually broken?
Tech: *Pulls out the GPU* This is the VGA.

image.jpeg.70b6144ba3f8b7c9d5358a291836cdb3.jpeg

Officemate is more techie than the Tech?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

14 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Officemate is more techie than the Tech?

The tech just has his terminologies screwed up from what I heard.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

On 11/1/2019 at 11:26 PM, Gegger said:

are they pulling a "this dual core processor....with it's four cores"

Intel Core2 are a series name, just like i5 or i7, it's not related to the core count.

The QX9775 is a quad core CPU ;

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/34692/intel-core-2-extreme-processor-qx9775-12m-cache-3-20-ghz-1600-mhz-fsb.html

EDIT : also, the difference with the Extreme edition is the unlocked multiplier, back then, OC was done by overclocking the FSB. But with the Extreme editions Core2 CPUs, you could also play with the multiplier on top of the FSB. Fun things to OC IMO.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Intel Core2 are a series name, just like i5 or i7, it's not related to the core count.

The QX9775 is a quad core CPU ;

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/34692/intel-core-2-extreme-processor-qx9775-12m-cache-3-20-ghz-1600-mhz-fsb.html

EDIT : also, the difference with the Extreme edition is the unlocked multiplier, back then, OC was done by overclocking the FSB. But with the Extreme editions Core2 CPUs, you could also play with the multiplier on top of the FSB. Fun things to OC IMO.

I'm referencing a freegeek eBay description for a core 2 extreme i found a few months ago, it said something about dual core processor with 4 cores

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

29 minutes ago, Gegger said:

I'm referencing a freegeek eBay description for a core 2 extreme i found a few months ago, it said something about dual core processor with 4 cores

Ah!! Got it! ?

Must've missed it!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 hours ago, Xiee said:

The tech just has his terminologies screwed up from what I heard.

No, sounds like he ain't as techie as the officemate.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

On 5/28/2018 at 5:31 AM, GilmourD said:

Seriously. I've got more than that open in just this one window.

image.thumb.png.eaa6604dcd728d9b5222a98530163034.png

*laughing whilst having 50 open on one monitor and 8 on the other at my intel NUC at work with an i3-8109u*

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

an intern at a company currently.

what i do is if people have an it problem i ask if they are using the internet, if yes press f12 and reload the webpage and if it works press f12 again and carry on working if not i have the error in the console.

in many cases reloading the browser fixes the problem and it halved the amount of times i needed to get off my butt to walk to reload a browser window

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, flashiling said:

an intern at a company currently.

what i do is if people have an it problem i ask if they are using the internet, if yes press f12 and reload the webpage and if it works press f12 again and carry on working if not i have the error in the console.

in many cases reloading the browser fixes the problem and it halved the amount of times i needed to get off my butt to walk to reload a browser window

Yes that F5 though

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

oof, we're going to have Social Media as the next topic in class. That's going to be cringe af.

One guy was already like: aRe yOu hAaPiEr iF yOu dOn'T uSe Social Media or Fourms. The Forums part triggered me so hard that I wanted to punch him in the face. At least my Teacher already gave me huge credit for knowing a lot but oh man you had to see their faces when I used the words Clouds and Big Data when replying to a question...

Also people still ask me if I wear a Rolex or Tissot watch... Like, seriously they look at the AOD Display of my Garmin Fenix 5X and the silicone bracelet. I will never spend any money on a "dumb" watch nor wear one. 

Oh it makes me sooo mad. Our parents refused to put service on our phones because they read an article on CNN like 10 years ago claiming the signal from "radiowaves" cause cancer.

I called them out on it but they refused.

26 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Why? I have a weird need to know the time and a normal watch does that fine.

I'm already in the Smartwatch market, soo. And I'm a fan of Gadgets and IoT.

10 hours ago, Pascal... said:

One guy was already like: aRe yOu hAaPiEr iF yOu dOn'T uSe Social Media or Fourms

the forums part is kinda stupid, but many people actually do get mood swings because of social media when they're in the ages of 13-15 (the most vonurable) other ages can as well but during this time it's considered life or death to get more likes on your instagram photo than stacy from the other class.

Thinking internet likes mean anything like that is stupid but at that age they just don't know much better and that's what they're growing up knowing

20 minutes ago, flashiling said:

the forums part is kinda stupid, but many people actually do get mood swings because of social media when they're in the ages of 13-15 (the most vonurable) other ages can as well but during this time it's considered life or death to get more likes on your instagram photo than stacy from the other class.

Thinking internet likes mean anything like that is stupid but at that age they just don't know much better and that's what they're growing up knowing

i totally agree

i have an insta account, i posted a few pics on it(of my dog) but people were too toxic about me liking every photo and i left, only checking on people that weren't toxic af

meanwhile this forum has more room for interaction, no "oh you didn't like my post, i'm going to block you" people

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

another thing is when employees decide to restart their pc for no reason and end up just coming in asking why their pc is updating which in turn leads to 30 min of downtime...

that's supposed to be my 30 min of downtime :(

On 10/29/2019 at 9:06 PM, Xiee said:

On my way home from work on the train, I heard this from a conversation between two guys talking about laptops.

"Dude, don't get an AMD or INTEL, they both blow, get an ASUS."

I'm like, what the hell?

Im going to use this line whenever I can "Get an asus".

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

I was at the mall a couple of days back and I decided to check out the Microsoft Store. I was just browsing around and this lady comes in and asks if they sell AirPods. The sales guy pointed her in the direction of the Apple store which was literally 100 feet way. I asked him, he said it happens all the time. People are pretty dense.