Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

in my personal open testbench expirience , the ram was always something that got pretty warm ,

unless its the cheap low freq stuff , heatsinks are not a bad idea on some rams, my ballistix tracer gets pretty toasty ,

and having 4 of em acts like a radiator infront of the cpu intake fan 

and the entire motherboard tempts to get warm ,

onboard chips and cpu / ram heat it up and it spreads through the entire board thanks to the many many layers of silver and copper happily conducting it 

1333mhz ram

cas11

heatsink

corsair ftw

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

32 minutes ago, themctipers said:

1333mhz ram

cas11

heatsink

corsair ftw

you said it was cas 12...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

23 hours ago, Lord_Doge said:

they RMAed a chip that you fried? fuck dude.

yes, I know right. Kudoos to intel for that

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

7 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

yes, I know right. Kudoos to intel for that

for a big cooperations (like intel or any other hw manufacturer)

its much easyer to just send you a new chip,if its still covered, than testing it

and they sell the old chip as scrap to re-sellers or (gold/silver)scrap collectors

(look at ebay , lots of RMA re-sellers who sell it as broken/untested for 10% of the MSRP , great source for harddrives and peripherals ) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

for a big cooperations (like intel or any other hw manufacturer)

its much easyer to just send you a new chip,if its still covered, than testing it

and they sell the old chip as scrap to re-sellers or (gold/silver)scrap collectors

(look at ebay , lots of RMA re-sellers who sell it as broken/untested for 10% of the MSRP , great source for harddrives and peripherals ) 

ooh really. Ill have a look.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

11 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

ooh really. Ill have a look.

its a bit of a gamble , but if you buy 5 harddrives and 3 work and you spent only money worth 1 its a win i guess 

(also perips are supper easy to fix , esp wired keyboard/ mouses , the usb cable is standard w/ standard plug and works 90% of the time as fix ) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

its a bit of a gamble , but if you buy 5 harddrives and 3 work and you spent only money worth 1 its a win i guess 

(also perips are supper easy to fix , esp wired keyboard/ mouses , the usb cable is standard w/ standard plug and works 90% of the time as fix ) 

ok thx

Build

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

you said it was cas 12...

12 if I get it in the wrong channels 

I think

Idk anymore.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I got one for ya.

I work at a computer store that does a lot of PC repair. One of our regulars, an older lady, uses an Apple cinema display with her Windows PC. She tells us that her PC no longer comes up on the Apple cinema. We take it in and find out that the adapter that goes from the HDMI on her video card to whatever proprietary bullcrap Apple uses as display input, has gone bad. Now it turns out that the company that made these adapters has gone out of business (I believe they were forced out by none other than Apple), so, the adapter no longer exists for anything lower than $100.

When we inform her, she tells us that "You promised me that you could fix it!" and "Why would you make a promise you can't keep!" When we tell her, for the umpteenth time, that the adapter is no longer produced, she gets very angry and proceeds to accuse us of "Cheating people out of their money!" and "Running a false business!" My boss (I felt sorry that he had to deal with this woman) offers to trade a Shimian monitor for her cinema display. Shimian is a Korean company that provided the screens for Apple's cinema displays, and the monitor he's offering has almost the exact same screen in it. She shuts his offer down and hangs up angrily.

A couple days later, she comes into the store with her freaking lawyer!!! She keeps accusing him of being a fraud, and she still does not understand that the adapter pretty much doesn't exist anymore. Finally, the owner just tells her to leave the store.

The whole exchange made me realize that PC repair techs take a lot of crap from non-techies.

41 minutes ago, Hameck said:

-snip-

Dude, it's not proprietary, the newer ones use mini Displayport and the older ones use DVI-D, unless she has the thunderbolt version, in that case, I don't know, probably DP over Thunderbolt.

EDIT: Oh, she has the version with Apple Display Connector. Maybe you could find one on ebay.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

My friend was telling me that he'll get a better computer than me. "It's got o7 and 1070"

Then in the bus on my way home, my another friend showed me a pic of the computer he was getting. It was a package computer, 1400€ and it had i5 6400 and GTX 970. I was laughing my ass off as my computer is around 1000€ and has literally the same specs, except for the processor, (though 4460 and 6400 have barely any performance difference)

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

On October 17, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok here is something that just hapned to me:

i find a listing for a Wacom Intous 2014 small for $30

i email the seller that im interested if its still not sold

25h later(not even kidding) they reply that its still up for sale and that shipping it to me will be about $7

i email back to them within 5mins and say thats fine

another 25 god damn hours later they get back to me again having written down there complete panic attack that the micro USB cord is gone and that "you cant buy a new one anywhere!" and some more panic ramble and that they are not sure if they want to sell it if i cant use it...

i do some googeling and find out its litteraly just a micro USB cord thats needed, like the one for your freaking android phone

i email back to them that i have plenty of those and that this is not a problem

they email back another 10h later saying that they are so relived that this wasent a problem and more panicy stuff

to buy this fucking tablet has now taken me over 3 freaking days over email.... WHY IS THIS PERSON SO SLOW??? WHY CANT THEY REPLY BACK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON???? also not knowing that micro USB cables are like $1 and sold everywhere is just like wow.... 

It's because eBay sellers are a strange breed of person that runs at turtle speed...

Also sometines full of themselves in that too many sellers think they can set prices at bill gates levels and somehow that's reasonable.  Especially if sellers have older sealed items.  "PAY ME THIIIIS MUCH MONEY CAUSE BS REASONS.  I CAN'T SELL IT FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN WAY TOO MUCH.  DERP DERP."  Of course they could set a reasonable price for things but they CHOOSE not to.  Why do people think buyers are stupid and don't realize the seller is being a greedy bastard?  ?

Also lots of eBay sellers in an effort to make piles of money sell things they know nothing about.  I've seen more than one clearly non-techie seller listing a computer with a description along the lines of "it works but I know nothing about it.  I think it's a Windows."  ?  (Paraphrased for comedic effect.)

On October 17, 2016 at 6:18 PM, wkdpaul said:

Another one from my "special" friend ... He's somehow persuaded that his 10 years old printer died because he printed a PDF that was embedded with a virus ...

This is what I got after asking him a few questions, he never downloaded a PDF from a malicious place, he doesn't have a virus on his PC, but since he did print ONE PDF a while back, it has to be the PDF ... *Sigh*

Even if the PDF was infected, why would it only target HP printers?

His printer was old and he had problems with it before.

The PDF was a manual he had already, he downloaded and printed it a few months back.

I highly doubt he found an infected PDF, that only targets old printers and that is time triggered ... I stopped trying to convince him after he replied "well, you never know!!!"

Oh Godoka that guy needs help...  ?

Or maybe someone REALLY hates HP printers?  ?  

On October 17, 2016 at 7:05 PM, kaiju_wars said:

I swear I've heard every way to call WLAN other than properly calling it WLAN.

Possibly dumb question but that's just another name for wifi/a wireless internet connection right?  

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Possibly dumb question but that's just another name for wifi/a wireless internet connection right?  

Wireless local area network

That's the official full name of WLAN

30 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It's because eBay sellers are a strange breed of person that runs at turtle speed...

Also sometines full of themselves in that too many sellers think they can set prices at bill gates levels and somehow that's reasonable.  Especially if sellers have older sealed items.  "PAY ME THIIIIS MUCH MONEY CAUSE BS REASONS.  I CAN'T SELL IT FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN WAY TOO MUCH.  DERP DERP."  Of course they could set a reasonable price for things but they CHOOSE not to.  Why do people think buyers are stupid and don't realize the seller is being a greedy bastard?  ?

Also lots of eBay sellers in an effort to make piles of money sell things they know nothing about.  I've seen more than one clearly non-techie seller listing a computer with a description along the lines of "it works but I know nothing about it.  I think it's a Windows."  ?  (Paraphrased for comedic effect.)

wasent ebay, was Swedish Craigslist

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 10/18/2016 at 6:50 AM, Hogger said:

The most awkward things for me isn't with non-techies exactly. It's going into tech stores (Best Buy mainly) and 3 different people asking if you need help with anything. Of course they are doing their job and being nice, I just feel awkward saying no to them. Sometimes I ask them stupid questions to see what they say ?. the common question I ask is about GPUs. I ask "so, the r9 290 is better than the 1080, right? Because this is the 9th version of 290... Then why is it cheaper???" They always look dumbfounded, I love messing with people

Don't be too mean to the poor souls unfortunate enough to work for Best Buy.  lol

It's not their fault Best Buy sucks and doesn't train them or hire people who know about what they're selling.  ?

On 10/17/2016 at 7:35 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

How does this keep happening! ( ಥـْـِـِـِـْಥ)

xD 

Nature finds a way?  ?

On 10/18/2016 at 7:31 AM, wkdpaul said:

Another one from my "special" friend!

He listen to a guy on YouTube (but he didn't remember the name so I didn't see the vid) and apparently, the main heat source in a PC are;

CPU (yes, ok ...)

Motherboard (didn't specify, but ok, I could see that)

RAM (wait what???)

... and that's it, didn't mentioned anything else, GPU, PSU, etc...

Despite my diploma and experience, the guy on YouTube apparently knows more than I do ... lol whatever!

Does RAM even generate any heat?  Or enough to actually matter?

I was pretty sure those fancy oversized colored heatspreaders/heatsinks were mainly to appeal to people who want colored things.  ?

Or am I mistaken?  Idk for sure.  ?

4 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Dude, it's not proprietary, the newer ones use mini Displayport and the older ones use DVI-D, unless she has the thunderbolt version, in that case, I don't know, probably DP over Thunderbolt.

EDIT: Oh, she has the version with Apple Display Connector. Maybe you could find one on ebay.

That could work.  Without checking it's hard to say for sure.  But if it's rare and not made anymore then sellers might be price gouging and why he said the adapter can't be found for less than about $100.   

1 hour ago, PLME888 said:

Wireless local area network

That's the official full name of WLAN

That's the same as wifi though right?  Just a different name for it?

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

wasent ebay, was Swedish Craigslist

From my limited browsing on my local Craigslist it seems people selling on there are just as greedy as eBay.  Or at least they can be,

6 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That could work.  Without checking it's hard to say for sure.  But if it's rare and not made anymore then sellers might be price gouging and why he said the adapter can't be found for less than about $100.   

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's the same as wifi though right?  Just a different name for it?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

From my limited browsing on my local Craigslist it seems people selling on there are just as greedy as eBay.  Or at least they can be,

You know all of those can be merged into one post.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

FTFY ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

22 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Shhhhh..  (The mods don't need to know that.  ?)

Sorry...

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Wireless connection ≠ internet connection ;)

For example, at my workplace we have a WiFi network that is local for the handheld scanners used for inventory!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Wireless connection ≠ internet connection ;)

For example, at my workplace we have a WiFi network that is local for the handheld scanners used for inventory!

So WLAN is just a wireless connection between devices or computers?

But wifi is for internet specifically?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So WLAN is just a wireless connection between devices or computers?

But wifi is for internet specifically?

Wifi means nothing , its just a word that sounds better (and sounds like HIFI) , its just a name for wireless networks 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

Wifi means nothing , its just a word that sounds better (and sounds like HIFI) , its just a name for wireless networks 

So wifi is the same as WLAN but both just mean a wireless network not specifically for internet?