Experiences with non-techies

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

The G3258 and GTX 960 are what's in my secondary desktop.  Sorry I should've been more clear about that.

I'd build the computer last March and added the GPU in April so this was well before the 470 was available.

Does a RX 470 perform better than a GTX 960?

Anyway, when I do my itx build I plan to use at least an i3 or maybe i5 depending on what my budget will end up allowing.  

Yeah rx 470 generally performs better than a 960. It's not worth directly upgrading from a 960 to a 470 though. That makes sense that you're using those if you already have 'em. :) I assumed you were buying them new... I'm not sure why I did :D 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah rx 470 generally performs better than a 960. It's not worth directly upgrading from a 960 to a 470 though. That makes sense that you're using those if you already have 'em. :) I assumed you were buying them new... I'm not sure why I did :D 

Well they were new last spring when I bought them.  Does that count?  lol

At the time I was looking for a cheap CPU that could overclock in case I felt like trying to learn that but I never really bothered much with tinkering with OCing it.

The 960 I added because I thought it would be nice to have the option to game on it if I wanted to.

I'm going to start something.. 

Ill start posting all the stupidity from the Apple discord,, have fun..

we'll start with the shit that I remember since last month.. 

• Dual cores are Better than quad cores
  • More cores are for show 
  • A trackpad is better than a mouse for everything. Blame 'Windows drivers'
  • Someone is going to be 'upgrading' to a Razer Blade.. Previous desktop was i7 6700k and GTX 1070.. 
  • Gaming market is 'small' and worse than Mac share. 
  • iGPU > dGPU

There's lots of more stupid shit that happens there.. Stay tuned for more stupidity. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Someone is going to be 'upgrading' to a Razer Blade.. Previous desktop was i7 6700k and GTX 1070.. 

giphy.gif

im gonna get good use out of this gif 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

8 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

giphy.gif

im gonna get good use out of this gif 

They're now arguing how a iGPU is better than a dGPU

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

11 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Shoot, I need to see screenshots of this!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

I'm going to start something.. 

Ill start posting all the stupidity from the Apple discord,, have fun..

we'll start with the shit that I remember since last month.. 

• Dual cores are Better than quad cores
  • More cores are for show 
  • A trackpad is better than a mouse for everything. Blame 'Windows drivers'
  • Someone is going to be 'upgrading' to a Razer Blade.. Previous desktop was i7 6700k and GTX 1070.. 
  • Gaming market is 'small' and worse than Mac share. 
  • iGPU > dGPU

There's lots of more stupid shit that happens there.. Stay tuned for more stupidity. 

this sounds amazing i am going to get on that discord in the near future

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Shoot, I need to see screenshots of this!

As close as I can get. image.png

26 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

this sounds amazing i am going to get on that discord in the near future

Just pretend to be in the heard and never say Windows or android is better! 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

57 minutes ago, themctipers said:

As close as I can get. 

Well tbh I kinda like OS X... It's not perfect but I think I like it more than Windows except for software support/compatibility. Unfortunately, I can't get my hackintosh sound drivers or whatever to work so that kinda sucks.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

As close as I can get. image.png

I think you posted it before but I'm too lazy to find it... could I have the link to that discord?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I think you posted it before but I'm too lazy to find it... could I have the link to that discord?

On the sidebar

http://www.reddit.com/r/Apple/

(haha don't want to be banned again for posting it..)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 10/16/2016 at 11:31 AM, BingoFishy said:

Not really non-techie but this is so stupid I can't resist putting it on here:

Capture.PNG

Well, precious metals are measured in Troy Ounces and Troy Pounds, but the Troy part is usually omitted and assumed.

That being said, a Troy pound of Gold is actually 82.29% the weight of a standard pound.

So technically, the pound of gold (using common assumptions) is not the same answer.

9 hours ago, themctipers said:

On the sidebar

http://www.reddit.com/r/Apple/

(haha don't want to be banned again for posting it..)

Can't find it :(

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

My mom is so bad at computers. She calls me one day. Says she got a message (read: popup) that said there was a problem with Microsoft. She clicked the link and went to the website that (surprise surprise) said there was a problem with her Microsoft that they could fix for a fee. She paid them with her debit card and downloaded the program. The program gave the "tech guy" control of the computer and she could see him messing around in settings as we spoke. The guy said he could fix the problem with magic software the cost $400. I told her to pull out the eithernet but it was over wifi so I told her to just unplug it. She took it to a repair shop and had to changer her debit card. The repair shop charged her like $90 to restore whatever the guy had done. 

200_s.gif

Asus Z97-A

Intel Core i5 4690K 4.6ghz

Dual EVGA GTX 970 SSC 14030 Mhz 

2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

CM Hyper 212 Evo

256GB SSD

500GB HDD

4TB WD Blue

Corsair HX 750i

Corsair 750D

2 hours ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Can't find it :(

Side bar. Scroll down. 

43 minutes ago, KickAHobo said:

My mom is so bad at computers. She calls me one day. Says she got a message (read: popup) that said there was a problem with Microsoft. She clicked the link and went to the website that (surprise surprise) said there was a problem with her Microsoft that they could fix for a fee. She paid them with her debit card and downloaded the program. The program gave the "tech guy" control of the computer and she could see him messing around in settings as we spoke. The guy said he could fix the problem with magic software the cost $400. I told her to pull out the eithernet but it was over wifi so I told her to just unplug it. She took it to a repair shop and had to changer her debit card. The repair shop charged her like $90 to restore whatever the guy had done. 

200_s.gif

I cannot 

even..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

This next one is a little strange because it comes from my brother who actually works in IT lol.

>So today he messages me asking why the fuck DDR2 ram is so damn expensive.

>I asked him why he needs DDR2? But i assumed for his workplace (Dunno why they'd have DDR2 though) So i'm like, i still have 4x2gb around.

>Then he answeres yeah, he has 4x2gb himself but he wants 16gig for his home PC.

>I'm like, you trolling bro?

>Nah, why? He needs DDR2 for his PC which only supports 800mhz. Old Asus P5B with Core 2 Duo.

>Bro... Bro .... You gotta be trollin?

>Nah?! I looked up my latest order which was the C2D?!

>Bro... ~1.5 years ago i upgraded your PC to a i7 4770k with 2x4gig DDR3 2400mhz....

>Oh, lol. Then forget that DDR2 thing... And he was wondering why he still has that old ass C2D lol.

Sometimes this dude is really weird man... His hardware skillz go to zero but programming is okay i guess lol.

Oh and the conversation is not done actually

>Why do you need 16gigs anyways?

>Firefox keeps dying

>Then maybe you shouldn't have 200tabs open all the time. It's not like it eats ram like Chrome does

>He actually had ... WAIT FOR IT.... ONE FUCKING THOUSAND (in Numbers: 1000) TABS OPEN yesterday and proceeded to close 600 of them.

What. The. Fuck.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Absolute classic: some dude wanted to "upgrade" his 3rd gen i3 to an FX 8300. He thought that higher frequency=better perf. It took me 20mins to explain him that's not how shit works.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

3 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Absolute classic: some dude wanted to "upgrade" his 3rd gen i3 to an FX 8300. He thought that higher frequency=better perf. It took me 20mins to explain him that's not how shit works.

Wish someone would explain that to my 7-yr-old self

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

18 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

This next one is a little strange because it comes from my brother who actually works in IT lol.

>So today he messages me asking why the fuck DDR2 ram is so damn expensive.

>I asked him why he needs DDR2? But i assumed for his workplace (Dunno why they'd have DDR2 though) So i'm like, i still have 4x2gb around.

>Then he answeres yeah, he has 4x2gb himself but he wants 16gig for his home PC.

>I'm like, you trolling bro?

>Nah, why? He needs DDR2 for his PC which only supports 800mhz. Old Asus P5B with Core 2 Duo.

>Bro... Bro .... You gotta be trollin?

>Nah?! I looked up my latest order which was the C2D?!

>Bro... ~1.5 years ago i upgraded your PC to a i7 4770k with 2x4gig DDR3 2400mhz....

>Oh, lol. Then forget that DDR2 thing... And he was wondering why he still has that old ass C2D lol.

Sometimes this dude is really weird man... His hardware skillz go to zero but programming is okay i guess lol.

Oh and the conversation is not done actually

>Why do you need 16gigs anyways?

>Firefox keeps dying

>Then maybe you shouldn't have 200tabs open all the time. It's not like it eats ram like Chrome does

>He actually had ... WAIT FOR IT.... ONE FUCKING THOUSAND (in Numbers: 1000) TABS OPEN yesterday and proceeded to close 600 of them.

What. The. Fuck.

That is my browsing habit.. Trust me. 

This is why I need not 24gb but 32gb!

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 2016-10-16 at 10:14 PM, themctipers said:

had to convince some guy on here that his HD 530 graphics werent going to run games maxed out and be nice when streaming... he though just an I7 would be a good way to spend his cash *facepalm*

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

ok here is something that just hapned to me:

i find a listing for a Wacom Intous 2014 small for $30

i email the seller that im interested if its still not sold

25h later(not even kidding) they reply that its still up for sale and that shipping it to me will be about $7

i email back to them within 5mins and say thats fine

another 25 god damn hours later they get back to me again having written down there complete panic attack that the micro USB cord is gone and that "you cant buy a new one anywhere!" and some more panic ramble and that they are not sure if they want to sell it if i cant use it...

i do some googeling and find out its litteraly just a micro USB cord thats needed, like the one for your freaking android phone

i email back to them that i have plenty of those and that this is not a problem

they email back another 10h later saying that they are so relived that this wasent a problem and more panicy stuff

to buy this fucking tablet has now taken me over 3 freaking days over email.... WHY IS THIS PERSON SO SLOW??? WHY CANT THEY REPLY BACK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON???? also not knowing that micro USB cables are like $1 and sold everywhere is just like wow.... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

51 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yea

I hate people who do that. I always reply 30 mins max, unless I'm away - in which case 6h at most.

and ignorance is just ... ignorant.

You can get someone to ask you to fix their PC that has "1 million viruses" (yes I quoted that because I have heard it before) and you can tell them that you had to replace all of the stuff you didn't have to replace (when really you just fixed a minor issue) and now they have to pay you in gold.

Another one from my "special" friend ... He's somehow persuaded that his 10 years old printer died because he printed a PDF that was embedded with a virus ...

This is what I got after asking him a few questions, he never downloaded a PDF from a malicious place, he doesn't have a virus on his PC, but since he did print ONE PDF a while back, it has to be the PDF ... *Sigh*

Even if the PDF was infected, why would it only target HP printers?

His printer was old and he had problems with it before.

The PDF was a manual he had already, he downloaded and printed it a few months back.

I highly doubt he found an infected PDF, that only targets old printers and that is time triggered ... I stopped trying to convince him after he replied "well, you never know!!!"

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !