Experiences with non-techies

51 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

In Europe we use periods like you use comma´s, at least when writing out numbers. Can make it very confusing when transferring from a European corporation to an American one, or discussing prices.

Speaking of punctuation, generally in english you use the ' symbol as the apostrophe instead of `.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Do not get me started on numbers and punctuation and stuff... I'm not so *centric as to think there's a right or wrong way, or to want to force my way on the rest of the world, but I do think we need to pick one and make it the global standard.  Not having that be universal is frankly insane.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎03 at 8:34 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

That may be, but they've got every right to complain :P 

Especially with the 2.5 down / 0.2 up I have right now...

Yay Shaw.

-Don't you just hate it when for whatever reason, your web browser doesn't send you to the last page of the thread so you awkwardly reply to a comment from several days ago?-

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yay Shaw.

yes... xD

Just so we're clear, that's MB/s... in Mb, I guess the plan is something like 25/2.5

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yay Shaw.

I need to bless you people with 1/4th my internet speed

(50 down, 2.5 up)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

oh are we talking internet speed? 

300 down 50 up , kilobytes that is 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

12 hours ago, themctipers said:

I need to bless you people with 1/4th my internet speed

(50 down, 2.5 up)

And may I bless you with half of mine (100 down, 10 up). :D 

That still pales in comparison to the internet connection at my school... I get like 100-150 up and down... on wifi. I wonder what the speeds would be if connected by Ethernet...

I'm jealous of myself xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

And may I bless you with half of mine (100 down, 10 up). :D 

That still pales in comparison to the internet connection at my school... I get like 100-150 up and down... on wifi. I wonder what the speeds would be if connected by Ethernet...

I'm jealous of myself xD 

And I'll bless you with all of mine

200 down 10 up

my schools wifi is like 1/50 over wifi

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

Busy times, 0.1/100mbps over wifi...200/120mbps when nobody is using the internet at my school :P (I still cri about my 60/19 connection...it used to be 75/19 ;-;)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

28 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Busy times, 0.1/100mbps over wifi...200/120mbps when nobody is using the internet at my school :P (I still cri about my 60/19 connection...it used to be 75/19 ;-;)

Haha rip

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 hours ago, themctipers said:

And I'll bless you with all of mine

200 down 10 up

200 down at home?!? Holy craps...

Image result for can i haz?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

200 down at home?!? Holy craps...

snip

well where i live i can get 500/500 from kpn (Dutch ISP) *flies away*

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

28 minutes ago, kelvindeschutter said:

Image result for sniffle meme

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On October 6, 2016 at 0:42 PM, cummerou1 said:

Quick backstory, i'm getting an education in IT, in my class we have several people above the age of 25

So this woman in my class said that her son built a PC, she offered to help him build it but he refused saying that he "certainly did not need ANY help from his mom". First mistake he did was that he bought a motherboard with the wrong socket for the CPU he had bought.  After buying another motherboard with the right socket he decided he could not afford to spend any more money. The thing is, he had not bought a hard drive yet! So she gave him a hard drive from an old build. How many hours has it been running you ask? Oh, just a measly 34.000 hours xD

To be fair the kid is like 12, but i'm pretty sure he has learned to ask his mom for help from now on xD 

Derp I didn't read this..

( ° ʖ °) I started watching LTT when i was 10/11 :P and know most of this shit by the time I was 11

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

Derp I didn't read this..

( ° ʖ °) I started watching LTT when i was 10/11 :P and know most of this shit by the time I was 11

Same. I knew difference CPUs had different sockets by the time I was 11 and I built my first PC on my 12th birthday. I did manage to mess up pretty bad (I've mentioned it before, forgot standoffs and killed GPU/wifi card, also would have been a lot worse without my semi-techie friend's help.) but I chose parts that were all compatible and was a decent deal. I've learned a ton more since then and have successfully helped my friend build a PC without issue (other than a bootloop but reseating ram fixed it). I still have a lot to learn, but I've gained a lot of technical knowledge in the last couple years.

ok done with my life story

NON-TECHIE TIME!!!

I tend to know more about iPhones than people who own iPhones. Whenever people have trouble hearing sound on their phone I just flip the mute switch. When people's iPhones get frozen, I'm the one that holds power+home.

I've never owned an iPhone in my life.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

5 hours ago, kelvindeschutter said:

Attached picture is my schools internet at 10:00pm on a friday. technically we have a full gb up/down in speed. but the servers at both schools and the finance office are likely doing there weekly backups to the town hall, as well as the update server pushing gp and windows updates to all the computers on the domain (roughly 600).

In other words, i once brought in my gaming pc, and it downloaded my entire steam library (150 games) overnight.

school internets.PNG

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

10 minutes ago, kagarium said:

Attached picture is my schools internet at 10:00pm on a friday. technically we have a full gb up/down in speed. but the servers at both schools and the finance office are likely doing there weekly backups to the town hall, as well as the update server pushing gp and windows updates to all the computers on the domain (roughly 600).

In other words, i once brought in my gaming pc, and it downloaded my entire steam library (150 games) overnight.

school internets.PNG

:( 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

:( 

im sorry do you want it? :P

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

6 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Same. I knew difference CPUs had different sockets by the time I was 11 and I built my first PC on my 12th birthday. I did manage to mess up pretty bad (I've mentioned it before, forgot standoffs and killed GPU/wifi card

I allegedly stepped on a few motherboard LGA socket pins :ph34r: and it screwed up the Motherboard so badly that it couldn't POST.

also would have been a lot worse without my semi-techie friend's help.) but I chose parts that were all compatible and was a decent deal. I've learned a ton more since then and have successfully helped my friend build a PC without issue (other than a bootloop but reseating ram fixed it). I still have a lot to learn, but I've gained a lot of technical knowledge in the last couple years.

ok done with my life story

NON-TECHIE TIME!!!

k then......

I tend to know more about iPhones than people who own iPhones. Whenever people have trouble hearing sound on their phone I just flip the mute switch. When people's iPhones get frozen, I'm the one that holds power+home.

Same

I've never owned an iPhone in my life.

Same. I'm still using my first smartphone xD. Bought in 2015. I guess that makes me a phone noob scrub.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Same. I'm still using my first smartphone

im on my second one , an Galaxy S4 , before that S3 , before that Nokia phones (5510 etc) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

honestl... ANOTHER SPAM WA.. okay talking about it, lol

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

7 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

so thats why they blew it up :ph34r:MIGHTY NUMBER 911.png

(finally i get to use this horrible picture i made) 

PSU Tier list

On 10/8/2016 at 4:20 AM, Space Reptile said:

so thats why they blew it up :ph34r:

(finally i get to use this horrible picture i made) 

lots of quality in that pocoyo i... SERIOUSLY BOT STOP ADDING VBULLETINNNN

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

lots of quality in that pocoyo i... SERIOUSLY BOT STOP ADDING VBULLETINNNN

i dont understand

(also dont quote images or atleast resize em, done by double-clicking the image in the qoute ) 

PSU Tier list

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I allegedly stepped on a few motherboard LGA socket pins :ph34r: and it screwed up the Motherboard so badly that it couldn't POST.

Wait .... Stepped ... On a few !?!?!?!?!

Motherboards are for PCs, not to be used as tiles in a bathroom!!! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !