Experiences with non-techies

Theres this super smart awesome teacher who tutors me right, and he knows I'm pretty good with tech.  And I thought he was too, until.   

We were talking about computers after the lesson and he says "and you can see the cpu, the cpu lights up blue and stuff".  I was going to say thats the cpu cooler, but he talked so much I couldn't say anything!  I just feel sorry for him, I couldn't tell him he was wrong.  

(Just now)

Mom: I'm going to take the USB to my TV in my room so I can watch that show

Me: Do you know how to use the USB on your TV?

Mom: I can figure it out.

2 minutes later

Mom: I can't get it to go in and I don't want to force it

Me: It only goes in one way make sure its lined up properly

Mom: Does it go in the first one, the second one, or the third one?

Me: There's only 1 USB port, the other 2 are HDMI

Mom: So I have to plug it into USB?

My brother killed him usb.  

He stabbed it in the hdmi port so hard it broke.  

Yesterday, my grandparents wanted to pay me for installing flash and helping my grandma to clean out her downloads folder. She did must of it herself, but I was there if anything went wrong xD

My grandparents didn't pay me for setting up their printer, a new PC with Windows, Adobe stuff + other programs as well as hooking up both their computers to a KVM switch....

You got it easy man.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My grandparents didn't pay me for setting up their printer, a new PC with Windows, Adobe stuff + other programs as well as hooking up both their computers to a KVM switch....

You got it easy man.

My friends parents always pay me for doing normal stuff.  Its awesome! But I think about it, and really.  To them its something big, to us its nothing but to them it means the world for us to go and help them with something they don't understand.  

Anyways, I normally get paid for virus removals.  I work at AVG so, thats probably why.  But, my AVG job is good, great actually but tons of other people in my team are so much smarter.  I'm hoping to become a cyber security researcher.  

Just saw this comment on Kotaku.

"I hate mechanical keyboard. Too noisy, and over time, slowly breaks your hands. I love smooth soft long-stroke keys."

Needless to say my face got reacquainted with my desk.

i like dem squishy domes (no srsly)

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Walks into PC Local Store

Me: Hi, got any mechanical keyboards

Shopkeeper: yeah sure, what kind

Me: Cherry MX Brown, RGB one. Corsair please

Shopkeeper: here *pulls out 3 k70 keyboard*

Me: Uhh, which one is the RGB

Shopkeeper: This one is Red LED Backlit, this one is green, and this one is blue

Me: post-56383-0-22784500-1414835269.png K, thanks.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

You should not be cleaning virus's out computers.... 

Why not? Also, *viruses.*

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Here's my "job list" from the last time I had to work on Nan's laptop...

- Turned up the brightness on her laptop after my mum turned it all the way down

- Had to stop Nan from searching dangerous and retarded shit such as "free offline spider soduku download windows xp version"

- Had to delete her cookies and explain why her old Facebook notifications were gone which led to her admitting that she didn't know what cookies were

- Had to teach her how to download attachments after she insisted I switch her back to Internet Explorer because she couldn't download attachments. (Short story; she couldn't download attachment, forwarded her email with attachment to a friend who forwarded it back to her and downloaded the attachment for her)

- Lastly, I had to explain that "Run" doesn't store cookies so searching stupid shit in "Run" doesn't delete cookies

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Let me guess its now faster than the speed of light? :D

Try running the 4.5 GHz upgrade on your smartphone, I've just been playing battlefield 4 on my Samsung Galaxy Ace! ;)

How you handling the heat?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It looks a lot like this just an oem version, also hdmi instead of the optical thing

tnbig.jpg

I believe that is the S video output.

Also, *viruses.*

Not virii or viri ?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Not virii or viri ?

Nope. The plural form of virus is "viruses."

Nope. The plural form of virus is "viruses."

You sure?  Remember this is as applied to computing.

"This too shall pass"

You sure? Remember this is as applied to computing.

Yes. I'm sure.

Here's my "job list" from the last time I had to work on Nan's laptop...

- Turned up the brightness on her laptop after my mum turned it all the way down

- Had to stop Nan from searching dangerous and retarded shit such as "free offline spider soduku download windows xp version"

- Had to delete her cookies and explain why her old Facebook notifications were gone which led to her admitting that she didn't know what cookies were

- Had to teach her how to download attachments after she insisted I switch her back to Internet Explorer because she couldn't download attachments. (Short story; she couldn't download attachment, forwarded her email with attachment to a friend who forwarded it back to her and downloaded the attachment for her)

- Lastly, I had to explain that "Run" doesn't store cookies so searching stupid shit in "Run" doesn't delete cookies

Happens...

This happened like last week or so..

Girl1: That's retarded, the website has cookies. Why would it ask about cookies if it can't cook?

Girl2: Never heard of the internet having cookies.. That's just stupid.

Girl1: Yeah, I know.. What kind of website has these retarded cookies?

Girl2: I don't know. Maybe it is a virus.

Me: Wat... What the fu.... *facepalm and walks out door as I was heading to the bathroom*

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

One of my teachers told me that computers are obsolete and that tablets will replace them

I felt the need to kill her.

Yea, because everyone wants a 10-inch screen with no USB ports that can only run one app at a time.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Some of the experiences I had with non-techies. were

Storing their important doc in the Temp folder as well as the recycle bin!

Using their web history as favorites

Organize the icons on the desktop somehow cause them to forgot on how to use the computer

Thought the changes in Google logo is a virus.

Had to explain about 15 minutes on how to click on the Start button.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Had to explain about 15 minutes on how to click on the Start button.

How is that possible?

Yes. I'm sure.

So Virus is not a latin word then?

I know viruses is the commonest form viri is actually relating to a man (same root as virile), Virii would only be the plural if the singular already has an i in it, so Vir(I)us

strictly speaking a good argument for the plural (in Latin) being Virua.could be made

but as we speak English not Latin 'we' can pluralise a word anyway we want.

"This too shall pass"

Theres this super smart awesome teacher who tutors me right, and he knows I'm pretty good with tech.  And I thought he was too, until.   

We were talking about computers after the lesson and he says "and you can see the cpu, the cpu lights up blue and stuff".  I was going to say thats the cpu cooler, but he talked so much I couldn't say anything!  I just feel sorry for him, I couldn't tell him he was wrong.  

My brother killed him usb.  

He stabbed it in the hdmi port so hard it broke.  

(Just now)

Mom: I'm going to take the USB to my TV in my room so I can watch that show

Me: Do you know how to use the USB on your TV?

Mom: I can figure it out.

2 minutes later

Mom: I can't get it to go in and I don't want to force it

Me: It only goes in one way make sure its lined up properly

Mom: Does it go in the first one, the second one, or the third one?

Me: There's only 1 USB port, the other 2 are HDMI

Mom: So I have to plug it into USB?

When you were a little kid, and you could stick the triangle shape into the triangular hole and not the circular hole, I think you can realize STICK THE USB STICK INTO A USB PORT!! NOT FUCKING HDMI!!! THEY ARE TWO SEPARATE SHAPES ENTIRELY!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Yea, because everyone wants a 10-inch screen with no USB ports that can only run one app at a time.

Or you know, playing a really intense game like battlefield 4 without a mouse/keyboard on low settings and meh frame rates or installing a mobile GPU and dealing with insane temps....you know, PCs are so useless nowadays....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

How is that possible?

When your on the phone talking to them, probably not that long, but it sure felt like it. 

Meh, everyone starts out as a newbie, so you'll have to be patient and give them time.

me: Click Start

them: What is start

m: the button the bottom left corner

t: I don't see it

m: what you mean you don't see it

t: There is no start button

m: What windows OS are you using

t: Windows

m: which windows?

t: I don't know

m: If the Start button on the bottom left is green, then you're running XP, Is your button green?

t: No

m: Okay, so you are not running XP, must be one of the newer OSes then, click on the start orb

t: Where is the start orb?

m: The button on the bottom left corner, the one that looks like a ball with the windows logo

m: Do you see it?

t: Yes

m:  Now click on it

t: OK I did

m: Good now moving on...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list