Experiences with non-techies

I would have sat in there all day playing the Chrome and YouTube app, in addition to the PCPartPicker app. :D

I would have been tempted by the Settings app....

Still, I can't get my head round the idea that the school ran a club whereby you had to have spent £££££££££££££ on an iDevice to be able to sit with a group of people and 'play' apps and then tell the others 'Oh, look! I just discovered Candy Crush! Isn't it amazing!ERT>G?HSDF<:kahyvfe8"

Nope, just realized now. It's going to be developed soon tho.

Good ol' WinNut, making crap up. I just watched STAR_ the entire time (this was around his glory days of 1000-10,000 subs as opposed to 500,000). This was back in late 2011 - early 2012 btw.

I would have been tempted by the Settings app....

Still, I can't get my head round the idea that the school ran a club whereby you had to have spent £££££££££££££ on an iDevice to be able to sit with a group of people and 'play' apps and then tell the others 'Oh, look! I just discovered Candy Crush! Isn't it amazing!ERT>G?HSDF<:kahyvfe8"

Hit the nail right on the head.

These stupid liberals think that our future will be run by these inexplicably useless iDevices. Annoying as hell, these progressives are.

And the general hypothesis was that you already owned an Apple device, which was absolute crap.

when people call me and ask where the "j" key is

I still, to this day, wonder what the hell you mean here?

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

Norton almost got it right this year, they switched everything to the cloud, and the problem is that it takes like 5 minutes to scan one file, and threats can't be detected right.  

They completely ruined it.  

The main reason I hate it is the face that CPU and RAM ussage is crazy. When I got my laptop if came with Norton and I was at 50% ish CPU usage until I uninstalled it.

CPU:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 Ghz  - Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - RAM:Kingston Hyper X Blu - 8GB - GPU:Gigabyte GTX 760 - Case:NZXT H440 Red & Black - SSD:Kingston Digital 120GB - HDD:(2) Western Digital 1TB Blue - PSU:Thermaltake Smart 650W 80 PLUS Bronze - Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB - Mouse:Corsair M45

Hit the nail right on the head.

These stupid liberals think that our future will be run by these inexplicably useless iDevices. Annoying as hell, these progressives are.

And the general hypothesis was that you already owned an Apple device, which was absolute crap.

I don't have much against iDevices (until bendgate and lack of funding were issues I was considering an iPhone 6 as my upgrade from a Galaxy Nexus), but it's a bit much when they make a club to let you play on your own phone/tablet.

On a related note (can't remember if I already mentioned it) but my school revamped their website over the summer. By this I mean they got rid of the Dreamweaver everything-inside-a-table-job and paid another company to design and make one for them. It looks pretty slick and works well (though it's a bit of a paradigm shift), but they also invested in a system called 'Firefly' of the 'Virtual Learning Environment'. This takes Google Apps for Education (we finally get unblocked gmail, including for personal email though that's probably not intentional), access to a read-only resources drive we use in school and a homework/home-learning/notifications/online-homework-completion/tasks system that appears on a dashboard and auto-generates emails with a table of the homework we've got to complete.

This may be sounding all nice and good, but there are a few problems:

• Homework still can't be checked off/removed from the list by a student unless it's set as a task on the VLE. That means that a homework email may contain 5+ completed homeworks on there as well and you have to sift through them to find the ones you need to do. This hasn't changed from the old system, though since they added the ability to set a task as complete, I'd hope that it would apply to work not set as a task
  • Any message or task left is then sent as an email to your school email address. Yup. Duplication of information. How annoying
  • The letter that introduced it contained these words: "If you are lucky enough to have an iPhone or iPad you can download a free app called Student Planner"

About that last point. When picking the contractor to make the system they went with one that doesn't explicitly have an Android counterpart to the iOS app. I know that the teachers use iPads and that a good 65% of pupils in the upper years have iPhones (along with some younger ones :o), but that's just ignoring a whole market and is disadvantaging people who don't want or can't afford an iOS device. And that's the other thing - "lucky enough" - we're a state school so not everyone is rich enough to have one, and it also implies that you're not considered lucky to have any other decent smartphone. Fucking brand awareness again. I swear the iPhone branding has made people dumber. Preceding generations who are proven to have a lower IQ are still probably more clever than those who have been dumbed by this branding and its influence, and I'm ignoring the 'pracitcal' aspects of previous generations when skills like making stuff or fixing stuff was considered useful. At least our grandparents and greatgrandparents don't get dumber over time.

Someone building a 10k usd PC: http://www.twitch.tv/seriousgaming

The amount of tech illiterate people in the chat is hilarious

i watched him put the cpu in and try to figure out how to screw something in for the waterblock and then mess with a corsair dominator ram cooler.............

i watched him put the cpu in and try to figure out how to screw something in for the waterblock and then mess with a corsair dominator ram cooler.............

Also if you were early enough you would have heard "How do I mount this reservoir? Do I need a drill? I didn't know I needed a drill!" I stopped watching after that...

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Oh here's another one I get frequently and hate.

"Macs are awesome"

"Why do you say that?"

"I had a PC and my new MacBook is much faster"

Of course, their new MacBook was at least $1200 (AUD) and their old PC was some crappy $300 thing from 2005.

And, of course, the analogy that "just because a brand new top-of-the-line Nissan GTR is better than a bargain-basement 1995 BMW 316i doesn't make Nissans better than BMWs" doesn't apply...

I get frustraited when people say I'm stupid because I use a PC when I could have a mac which is much faster.  

me: "Whats so fast about it?"

them: "Programs open much faster, its much faster turn on's and everything!"

well duh, it has a PCIE SSD.  But the problem is that they don't understand when I try explain that disk speeds aren't everything. 

Also if you were early enough you would have heard "How do I mount this reservoir? Do I need a drill? I didn't know I needed a drill!" I stopped watching after that...

I never watched that.

Glad I didn't I would cry and tear my cheeks off if they did that during the stream!  

There was another stream I saw where this guy was building a 5k PC, he used just the color stuff for the reservoir.  The Pump died.  

The main reason I hate it is the face that CPU and RAM ussage is crazy. When I got my laptop if came with Norton and I was at 50% ish CPU usage until I uninstalled it.

hmm.  

Could have been an interference.   Because Norton uses like 30mb of RAM and 1% CPU.  The new version uses 0.1mb-1mb of RAM but its protection has gone.  Essentially. 

My younger brother just like fixes everything by banging it.  He did it with the printer, he did it with the television, with a bunch of other stuff.  I'm like "wtf?"  He bangs it once, and it works.  Yet I go and do all this stuff to diagnose the problem, and I can't fix it!!!

ARRGGHHH

My grandpa was surfing around on my PC and was talking about 'cleaning it up'. He defragged my SSD in the process. I wasn't angry at him though, we had a good laugh. :D

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

hmm.  

Could have been an interference.   Because Norton uses like 30mb of RAM and 1% CPU.  The new version uses 0.1mb-1mb of RAM but its protection has gone.  Essentially. 

Please use multiquote and condense each of your posts into a single post in future... It could constitute post farming otherwise...

HTTP/2 203

Please use multiquote and condense each of your posts into a single post in future... It could constitute post farming otherwise...

Sorry.   :(  Will do next time

Oh, I got tons.

--

*Mom pays me $20 to add her 200+ contacts from her Blackberry to her new iPhone*

*Spends a good 1.5-2 hours adding them all in manually*

"Alright Mom, here you go."

*I Go upstairs, game for 30 minutes, then on my way back downstairs...*

"Oh shoot, I think I deleted all my contacts!"

--

*Talking to a friend who had $2K+ to blow on a new computer, gets an i7 and a Titan*

"Dude, why did you buy that thing?  You should've gotten a 780 Ti or something"

"This one is better since it has more VRAM"

"You'll never use that much, and it's primarily for developing games and such"

"No, it's better for gaming"

"I can assure you otherwise"

*He pulls up the Nvidia Titan site*

"It's for gaming, see, they say so!"

--

(My dad is complaining how the computer is way slow)
"Alright, I'll see what's going on"

*He leads me to the computer, and opens up Internet Explorer*

"There's your problem"

--

*Playing TF2 on a server*

*Some guy gets on*

"OMG this is terrible everyone on [team] is hacking!"

*Before he leaves, I notice he has a ping of 300*

*Facepalm*

--

(Playing with a friend, we're talking about framerates.)

"Yeah, I don't have on VSync, and rarely see screen tearing.  Usually I get more than 100 FPS when playing TF2"

"I thought games would get as close to 60 as possible and if you get any more the game would speed up to use the extra frames"

"..."

--

I've done stupid things as well...

[witty signature]

My mom calls my computer a computer box and my SSD a Windows box.. No matter how many time you explain stuff to them, they never care to remember it.

Thats sorta makes sense since the SSD (probably) contains Windows on it. Also, calling a computer a computer box is like calling a computer a computer, so that makes sense too.

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

Thats sorta makes sense since the SSD (probably) contains Windows on it. Also, calling a computer a computer box is like calling a computer a computer, so that makes sense too.

I've never seen a SSD have Windows pre-installed.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I've never seen a SSD have Windows pre-installed.

I never said that it had to be pre-installed, but usually a person installs their main OS on it (whether it be Linux, OS X, or Windows) and without a storage device (SSD) to boot off, the computer would just just go to the motherboard startup screen and sometimes say that there is no boot media or something like that. So without a storage device (in this case SSD) windows would not be able to run on the computer.

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

I never said that it had to be pre-installed, but usually a person installs their main OS on it (whether it be Linux, OS X, or Windows) and without a storage device (SSD) to boot off, the computer would just just go to the motherboard startup screen and sometimes say that there is no boot media or something like that. So without a storage device (in this case SSD) windows would not be able to run on the computer.

So what if you're rich and have 2 SSDs, one for the OS and another as a separate drive? Basically calling an SSD a windows box is about as logical as calling a GPU a Star Citizen box.

So what if you're rich and have 2 SSDs, one for the OS and another as a separate drive? Basically calling an SSD a windows box is about as logical as calling a GPU a Star Citizen box.

kind of like the kid who called the Wi-Fi setting box on the iPad the internet box.

I think that picture would be more accurately depicting the atari 5200 and RCA studio II's shitty ass switch box connectors that combine power and video into one wire....

Who thought that was a good idea!?

Ah was reading it a bit fast.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Who thought that was a good idea!?

APPARENTLY RCA AND ATARI DID!!! NO WONDER ATARI WENT BANKRUPT!

Edit: Speaking of bad ideas, the RCA studio II had no controllers whatsoever! That meant players had to get up close and personal.....oh yeah.......around 2 numerical keypads on the console itself!! I quote the AVGN: 

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Again, I never said that the SSD is only for your operating system, you could have multiple operating systems to boot off it and have all your applications reside on it and yes you can use it to store things on the same drive. If you were wondering, I store my space consuming data on Hard Drives, not another SSD if you were wondering. The Other SSD was because I edit video and I ran out of space on my main boot disk and editing high bitrate video takes speed.