Experiences with non-techies

Oh boy , I've been away for a long time and this thread has grow so much. I don't know where I left off.

Right now I have to troubleshoot my mother's laptop (that my little sister uses as her laptop's charger is broken), and the charger keeps shutting the laptop down (rather touch-sensitive charger, plus a dead battery), so I can't fix the Ubuntu OS my sister somehow managed to broke (it won't even load from a USB stick anymore. Just get's stuck in the loading screen). FML

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

My mother asked me to install facebook.

We know. We all know. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Got to listen to someone (My older brother, I don't think anyone knew I had one) try to recommend a wait... FX 4100 over the FX 6300 since he's getting the money for a computer.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Got to listen to someone (My older brother, I don't think anyone knew I had one) try to recommend a wait... FX 4100 over the FX 6300 since he's getting the money for a computer.

Tell him if he buys it, your dick is a dead man.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

this video

he was building a pc on the anti static bag, on a carpet, with socks on. huge palmface (a palmface is a special tree with a face that is very dumb).

I'll be building my computer on the box on my bed with socks on while I sit in my chair with my feet touching the carpet... :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Tell him if he buys it, your dick is a dead man.

I helped that friend get every part sorted around, told him the basics of the CPU's, and before that I thankfully mentioned why he shouldn't get the FX-4100 since he asked which CPU another friend had...

The FX4100 is a slim improvement from my DUALCORE i5 FROM THE FIRST GENERATION...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

story 1: sister refuses to fix macbook keyboard

Sister refused to change her macbook keyboard because it was too troublesome, despite it being probably a loosened ribbon connector.

Want to know how she fixed her problem?

she bought a wireless keyboard and placed it over the macbook's keyboard.

story 2: sister doesn't know about types of display connectors

after coming back from her fucking makers academy, she asked if she could borrow my screen just because she "liked having a secondary screen"

so I said fine whatever, she went to my desk and IMMEDIATELY moved her (still) broken macbook over and displaced all the stuff on my desk and tried plugging in the hdmi cable from my laptop (which I had to point out to her which cable it was) into her macbook.

I was silent and watching from behind the whole time as she was smashing the hdmi into the side of her macbook for about 5 minutes (i had a spare cable so it didn't matter if it broke). It was like watching Tyrion's scene about the beetles in game of thrones

"kuh, kuh, kuh"

She then turned around and asked why i didn't have a "normal" connector.

I asked her if she even knew what connector her macbook used for monitors.

this was legitimately her answer

yeah, usb, I used it all the time at makers

yes, no joke.

She even went so far as to call my monitor "shit" because it didn't use "normal" connectors

I was pretty mad already at the fact that she essentially pushed my whole desk aside so she could use it, and this just topped it off, so I decided to throw a bunch of terms at her and watch her confusion for my entertainment

I listed off all the connectors that my monitor uses to see if she knew any of these, displayport, hdmi, dvi, vga, and her face was just 0_o

she had no idea what I was talking about, and she even asked "do you even know what they are?" in a really bitchy 'omg, you're so dumb' tone.

I said they're just industry standard display connectors, again, 0_o

I was having fun, ripping into her lack of knowledge of display connectors and tech in general without her knowing what I was doing, but eventually I told her that she needed a mini display port to full size display port connector. again 0_o

so I said it again very clearly, and even wrote it down on a sheet of paper so she could go into the store and show them that piece of paper and they would give her the right connector.

the next day, my sister and parents went out for shopping and I stayed home because I had to do work and uh...other...things, but I get a whatsapp from her a bit later with a picture of

a mini hdmi, with the words "mini hdmi" explicitly written on the front packaging

and the text followed: "finally got the right cable"

my reply: that's fucking mini hdmi, I said mini display port. mini DISPLAY PORT

sis reply: it IS mini display port

my thoughts: holy fucking shit, where's my house's nail collection? i want to drive one through my eyeballs.

my reply: no it's not, the box says right there "MINI HDMI", go to the computer shop I go to and ask for MINI DISPLAY PORT TO STANDARD DISPLAY PORT CONNECTOR, SAY THOSE WORDS EXACTLY.

sis reply:

actually, she didn't reply.

they come back later, and I asked if she got the cable, and she said "nah, it was too troublesome to ask them so I didn't"

are...

you......

kidding..........

and so now, she won't be able to use my screen no matter what, and I say no matter what because there's no hope in the world that she'll get the right cable or bother to get the right one at all.

tl:dr:

sister went to progamming course for 12 weeks, claims to have used usb as display connector in her time there, called my monitor shit for not using usb as connector.

I play around with her lack of knowledge in display connectors. She fails to get correct connector (gets wrong one) after being explicitly told which connector to get.

Hahaha poor sister you shouldn't have told her about various connectors maybe she would invent her own with those tools.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

story 1: sister refuses to fix macbook keyboard

Sister refused to change her macbook keyboard because it was too troublesome, despite it being probably a loosened ribbon connector.

Want to know how she fixed her problem?

she bought a wireless keyboard and placed it over the macbook's keyboard.

story 2: sister doesn't know about types of display connectors

after coming back from her fucking makers academy, she asked if she could borrow my screen just because she "liked having a secondary screen"

so I said fine whatever, she went to my desk and IMMEDIATELY moved her (still) broken macbook over and displaced all the stuff on my desk and tried plugging in the hdmi cable from my laptop (which I had to point out to her which cable it was) into her macbook.

I was silent and watching from behind the whole time as she was smashing the hdmi into the side of her macbook for about 5 minutes (i had a spare cable so it didn't matter if it broke). It was like watching Tyrion's scene about the beetles in game of thrones

"kuh, kuh, kuh"

She then turned around and asked why i didn't have a "normal" connector.

I asked her if she even knew what connector her macbook used for monitors.

this was legitimately her answer

yeah, usb, I used it all the time at makers

yes, no joke.

She even went so far as to call my monitor "shit" because it didn't use "normal" connectors

I was pretty mad already at the fact that she essentially pushed my whole desk aside so she could use it, and this just topped it off, so I decided to throw a bunch of terms at her and watch her confusion for my entertainment

I listed off all the connectors that my monitor uses to see if she knew any of these, displayport, hdmi, dvi, vga, and her face was just 0_o

she had no idea what I was talking about, and she even asked "do you even know what they are?" in a really bitchy 'omg, you're so dumb' tone.

I said they're just industry standard display connectors, again, 0_o

I was having fun, ripping into her lack of knowledge of display connectors and tech in general without her knowing what I was doing, but eventually I told her that she needed a mini display port to full size display port connector. again 0_o

so I said it again very clearly, and even wrote it down on a sheet of paper so she could go into the store and show them that piece of paper and they would give her the right connector.

the next day, my sister and parents went out for shopping and I stayed home because I had to do work and uh...other...things, but I get a whatsapp from her a bit later with a picture of

a mini hdmi, with the words "mini hdmi" explicitly written on the front packaging

and the text followed: "finally got the right cable"

my reply: that's fucking mini hdmi, I said mini display port. mini DISPLAY PORT

sis reply: it IS mini display port

my thoughts: holy fucking shit, where's my house's nail collection? i want to drive one through my eyeballs.

my reply: no it's not, the box says right there "MINI HDMI", go to the computer shop I go to and ask for MINI DISPLAY PORT TO STANDARD DISPLAY PORT CONNECTOR, SAY THOSE WORDS EXACTLY.

sis reply:

actually, she didn't reply.

they come back later, and I asked if she got the cable, and she said "nah, it was too troublesome to ask them so I didn't"

are...

you......

kidding..........

and so now, she won't be able to use my screen no matter what, and I say no matter what because there's no hope in the world that she'll get the right cable or bother to get the right one at all.

tl:dr:

sister went to progamming course for 12 weeks, claims to have used usb as display connector in her time there, called my monitor shit for not using usb as connector.

I play around with her lack of knowledge in display connectors. She fails to get correct connector (gets wrong one) after being explicitly told which connector to get.

That was entertaining as hell, thank you!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

This is a long and technical one

Background info: This took place at a COMPUTER ENGINEERING camp a few weeks ago and the other person in the argument is the "looks/sounds like he is 10 but is actually 14 and pisses everybody off" type. At the time, we were talking about ultra high end intel processors then this little shit chimed in.

Him: The best procesor is the AMD FX-8350 8-core processor!

Me: Well it is behind the current gen haswell processors in terms of single core performance and runs pretty hot.

Him: Well Intel processors are just cheap knock offs of AMD processors!

Me: Um... No they aren't

Him: Yes they are! Intel just takes AMD technologies and makes them worse then sells them at a high price.

Me: Um... No. I'm certain that that does not at all happen. Intel processors are very different from AMD ones.

Him; Well my AMD FX 8350 8-core processor is more powerful than the highest end core i7 processors because of its 8 cores.

Me: It is only faster when you are using all cores and if it is overclocked. But then it is using a ton of power and producing loads of heat 

Him: Well a major selling point of the AMD FX  8350 8-core processor is how much L2 and L3 cache it has. It has 16 MB of it which is more than the highest end i7 has which makes it perform better in games.

Me: Cache is not a major selling point for it, it doesn't do shit in games and that CPU only has 8 MB of each level. My i7 has the same amount of L3.

Him: Well it is 16 MB combined which is more than your i7 has.

Me: Yes, but due to the fact that the processors have different architectures that use L2 cache differently, and the 8350 benefits from more of it.

This continues  for a while until he get's flustered and changes the subject.

he was building a pc on the anti static bag,

...and the problem with that is?

Remember despite what Linus says anti-static bags are non-conductive (at all sensible voltages:even air can conduct if the voltage is high enough (viz lightning)),  test it yourself.

Aside to :-

@LinusTechTips  maybe test a few bags and post a video showing the conductance (or rather lack of it) of a few bags, settle this once and for all.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

My friend thought the power hole in the psu was for the monitor. I was showing him my pc and he was like "this is for the monitor right?" I agreed with him and to this day he still believes that. 

While watching TV on a DVD, I commented that I liked that it didn't have the theme song every episode and that there was chapters in the episodes. She tries to explain that it was something completely unrelated to that and refused to allow me to explain it again. Yes, me the person who is doing a course on production defiantly doesn't know what he's talking about.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

this thread hurts my head i hope it goes away please mods

Oh shut up. The mods don't care about it. It's lasted 9017 posts without one complaint until you. So shut your traphole.

After reading the entire thread this is the conclusion I have come to, The security on the computers in my school is fairly light, there is only blocked websites (I have yet to find out if ltt is blocked) and no admin privalages and the computers are quite powerful compared to what others have to put up with. In the rooms where we do CAD there is zeon machines with higher end integrated graphics (I can't remember which, it is the holidays for me) and 8gb ram and the rest have dual core pentiums and 2gb ram (also integrated graphics). They all run Windows 7.

No one in my family are extremely non tech savvy apart from my grandparents who used to be but they are willing to learn. I also don't get blamed for breaking things that are completely unrelated.

I thought I had it bad at school but after reading your experiences I now feel lucky.

Most of the people in my school know that pushing the power button on the monitor doesn't turn the computer on. The only non techie stories I have are from people not listening/reading instructions and those are nothing compared to the stories that others have said, which were all very easy to fix.

EDIT: fixed formatting

After reading the entire thread this is the conclusion I have come to, The security on the computers in my school is fairly light, there is only blocked websites (I have yet to find out if ltt is blocked) and no admin privalages and the computers are quite powerful compared to what others have to put up with. In the rooms where we do CAD there is zeon machines with higher end integrated graphics (I can't remember which, it is the holidays for me) and 8gb ram and the rest have dual core pentiums and 2gb ram (also integrated graphics). They all run Windows 7

No one in my family are extremely non tech savvy apart from my grandparents who used to be but they are willing to learn. I also don't get blamed for breaking things that are completely unrelated.

I thought I had it bad at school but after reading your experiences I now feel lucky.

Most of the people in my school know that pushing the power button on the monitor doesn't turn the computer on. The only non techie stories I have are from people not listening/reading instructions and those are nothing compared to the stories that others have said, which were all very easy to fix.

You're lucky to have Windows machines at school. We have old (19" maybe) Intel-based iMacs. No web filter though, I used to go on  9gag when I was supposed to be programming.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You're lucky to have Windows machines at school. We have old (19" maybe) Intel-based iMacs. No web filter though, I used to go on  9gag when I was supposed to be programming.

The web filter is quite harsh, no social media/games, sometimes it is hard to find the info I need for a project and have to be bothered to take it home and finish it there. Also I would quite like to find out how to bypass the filter, it is on the network, not the pc's themselves

After reading the entire thread this is the conclusion I have come to, The security on the computers in my school is fairly light, there is only blocked websites (I have yet to find out if ltt is blocked) and no admin privalages and the computers are quite powerful compared to what others have to put up with. In the rooms where we do CAD there is zeon machines with higher end integrated graphics (I can't remember which, it is the holidays for me) and 8gb ram and the rest have dual core pentiums and 2gb ram (also integrated graphics). They all run Windows 7

Please tell me more about integrated graphics on those Xeons.

@CtW that is not much of a non techie story. Just fanboyism. A far cry from "I bought a Hdd and installed it in my computer by inserting a photocopy of the drive iinside the case" stories.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The web filter is quite harsh, no social media/games, sometimes it is hard to find the info I need for a project and have to be bothered to take it home and finish it there. Also I would quite like to find out how to bypass the filter, it is on the network, not the pc's themselves

You could try changing the DNS servers if you have access to those settings.

Please tell me more about integrated graphics on those Xeons.

@CtW that is not much of a non techie story. Just fanboyism. A far cry from "I bought a Hdd and installed it in my computer by inserting a photocopy of the drive iinside the case" stories.

All I can remember is that I saw no expansion slots used, video out came from the motherboard. Also I won't be back in school until mid August to check what it is running on the board.

You could try changing the DNS servers if you have access to those settings.

I have no idea how to do that, please tell me.

I have no idea how to do that, please tell me.

Press Win + R, then enter ncpa.cpl. Right-click on your network adapter and select Properties. Now click on Internet Protocol Version 4 and select Properties again. Now select "Use the following DNS Server". Se the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the Secondary to 8.8.4.4. Those are Google's Public DNS Servers. Now click OK and you're done.