Experiences with non-techies

Well to be fair he was on a cracked piece of cement.  :P

hahaha Didn't notice that.

Well, my grandparents have never seen a PC before, before they both passed. Luckily, I didn't have to do tech support. Neither can speak english.

Hope I don't sound like a dick when I say this, but you are soooooo lucky. Tech support with grandparents is TERRIBLE.

At least my grandma on my dad's side is actually kind of interested in getting a computer to use.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Is the Wyoming stereotype of being nothing but tall dry grass any true?

Too lazy I just watched the Elders React to to him.

The middle is just desert and nothing. The east is full of mining and army. The west is the most beautiful place in the U.S. IMO. I live right next to Yellowstone and the #1 ski resort in North America. I live in the richest town in the state as well. Tourists are there 9 months out of the year. Never go to central Wyoming, stay on the edges if you ever go. Cheyenne is alright, Cody is nice because of the money they get from tourists who go to Yellowstone and Jackson (where Live) is where you want to go. Best town in Wyoming by far.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

The middle is just desert and nothing. The east is full of mining and army. The west is the most beautiful place in the U.S. IMO. I live right next to Yellowstone and the #1 ski resort in North America. I live in the richest town in the state as well. Tourists are there 9 months out of the year. Never go to central Wyoming, stay on the edges if you ever go. Cheyenne is alright, Cody is nice because of the money they get from tourists who go to Yellowstone and Jackson (where Live) is where you want to go. Best town in Wyoming by far.

Got it go to Yellowstone if I ever need to visit.

Got it go to Yellowstone if I ever need to visit.

But don't come in the winter, I want shorter lift lines. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I'm afraid that I'll have to get my grandma off of Windows 7 before too long. I know, Windows 7 has extended support for a while more, but she needs as much security as humanely possible. I don't want to back up all of her stuff. It will take forever. -_-

probably better off with an android pc

But don't come in the winter, I want shorter lift lines. 

Yeah, try going to Vegas in summer.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

in math there was a graphing problem about internet and according to the math problem an internet plan costs $10/GB

there is no possible way that can make sense

Perhaps in the real world... However, in classes, numbers are chosen so the answer to the problem is the hard bit not the arithmetic.

To this end we used to be told "take G as 10 ms-2 (not 9.81 ) [1]as in those days [2]it was much easier to just move a decimal point than try to multiply/divde by 9.81.

[1] No idea what that should be in imperial.

I am British and 51 tyears old matur(ish) so think in miles and milimetres, pounds and grammes etc very eclectic.  Imperial and decimal (whatever best fits the situation).

[2] Calculators were availlable but were not yet widespread.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I don't see why someone would think that...  :ph34r:

The old iMac G3s were AiO s that superficially looked like they were only the monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G3

SUPPOSITION :-Perhaps he had seen one of them and only dimly remembering seeing a crt thought "Ooo that's old, maybe it is that old computer".

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

or do Adobe editing on a PC, fanboy schmucks :)

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I use CS6 on my PC and it works as fine as CS6 on the iMacs at my TAFE

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

hahaha Didn't notice that.

Hope I don't sound like a dick when I say this, but you are soooooo lucky. Tech support with grandparents is TERRIBLE.

At least my grandma on my dad's side is actually kind of interested in getting a computer to use.

TBH, for me it is not that bad... I do computer maintenance for my grandparents on both my parent's sides and they both use laptops. I just use TeamViewer and explain everything over Skype if I'm not there. Just take things slow and be patient. When I'm there, I can do all necessary maintenance... The one good thing is that they both don't randomly install stuff without reading thanks for that. If they need something, they ask me...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

probably better off with an android pc

Nope. She needs Windows for a lot of things.

TBH, for me it is not that bad... I do computer maintenance for my grandparents on both my parent's sides and they both use laptops. I just use TeamViewer and explain everything over Skype if I'm not there. Just take things slow and be patient. When I'm there, I can do all necessary maintenance... The one good thing is that they both don't randomly install stuff without reading thanks for that. If they need something, they ask me...

I have Avast on her account basically set to "A fly is on your screen. Let me kill it for you."

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

When people ask me questions that really should be answered by google. Live and die by: http://lmgtfy.com/  

My friend kept asking me to link him to battlefield hardline beta and i kept telling him to google it so i used google it thing ^^ but that didnt help :(

Steve

Someone came into the PC repair shop I was working in carrying nothing but a monitor and said they had a virus on their motherboard. I asked if I could see the computer and she handed me the monitor. I said, "that's the monitor, Do you have the computer with you? You know. The big box?"  She replies "No, I need you to fix the computer (tries to hand me the monitor). I tell her that the monitor is not the computer. She gets pissed and says "My son does IT so I think I know what I am talking about". She left and never came back.

An old guy called up the shop and complained to me that his mouse was not working. He said "WHEN I GO UP THE CURSOR GOES DOWN! AND WHEN I GO DOWN THE CURSOR GOES UP!". I replied "Are you, by any chance, holding the mouse the wrong way round?". He mumbled and hung up. He called back later and said "I fixed it. It's working fine now but I'm still not happy that it broke. I demand a refund". I hung up.

http://live.lmgtfy.com/

The stuff that some people are typing in there...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

AGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PENIS!!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

AGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PENIS!!

The one said "Is it normal to have sex with your mom?"

What the actual fuck.

EDIT: Seriously.

gallery_37587_679_78949.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

The one said "Is it normal to have sex with your mom?"

What the actual fuck.

I fucking know, right? What the actual fuck was this guy thinking? Sex with your mother? You want to start a family with someone who started you? :blink:

I fucking know, right? What the actual fuck was this guy thinking? Sex with your mother? You want to start a family with someone who started you? :blink:

Ugh. Just... No more.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Quick update to the whole mcafee thing: I actually got in an argument with my friend's dad over the terribleness of Mcafee. He also mentioned that the service is packaged with his internet service (optimum is retarded for doing that) and he is convinced that it works very well and does not slow down whatever it is running on. To put this in perspective, he PREFERS internet explorer to chrome and has not yet been convinced to switch. 

Oh god... Are people seriously that stupid? What has modern society boiled down to?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.