Experiences with non-techies

Was watching a pc unboxing by a youtuber who was normally a console gamer

(im Phllips in the comments) some guy claimed that it was a waste of money to get expensive graphics cards and that his 460 or something similar i forget could run bf4 ultra 100fps. also that benchmarks were a lie. worst part was his comment got likes :/. i replied simply no it doesn't  and that started an argument that was extremely cringe worthy EDIT i cant seem to find that comment it must of been deleted :o

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

So, for those of you that don't know, I'm getting a new rig (in my sig under Athena). My dad is telling me that his "FX 9-something" (it has an 8350-esque heatsink) and his Radeon HD 6770 will beat it...

He feeds me so much shit about tech, saying that his will run faster than mine since he knows what he's doing... As I recall, HELIOS has been running for 2 months solid without any problems.

Well... Even though your dad is feeding you with sh*t when it comes to tech, he's at least somewhat tech literate. Better than most teenagers today at least...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

No, they're not. Funnily, we Mac users are stereotyped as being ignorant.

Most of my techie friends are Mac users. In my experience, technologically illiterate idiots often think they're super cool for using a PC?

Super cool? I don't see how using a computer can make me cool. I do have more money in my pocket though.

Well... Even though your dad is feeding you with sh*t when it comes to tech, he's at least somewhat tech literate. Better than most teenagers today at least...

Thank god.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I MADE IT TO THE END TAKE THAT NON BELIEVERS #CONSOLEBEATSPC #<3BEATS #MACFORLIFE #ALIENWAREISBETTERTHANPC #MACHASNOVIRUS #GAMESAREAVIRUS Seriously though does anyone want me to go through all of this and choose about 25 stories and make a compilation of the best?

I MADE IT TO THE END TAKE THAT NON BELIEVERS #CONSOLEBEATSPC #<3BEATS #MACFORLIFE #ALIENWAREISBETTERTHANPC #MACHASNOVIRUS #GAMESAREAVIRUS Seriously though does anyone want me to go through all of this and choose about 25 stories and make a compilation of the best?

Can't say I recommend it I got through the entire thing when there were around 220 pages in about 2 days but that number has doubled.

There are techies and non-techies on both sides of the OS war.

Exactly. Just because some Mac users are non-techie doesn't mean we all are :P and shut up fanboys. Studies have shown fanboys have lower IQs and low self-esteem, if anyone was wondering why they're so ignorant. I personally think each one is good for their own thing, I use OSX cuz it runs faster than Windows 7 on my Laptop. Yes, deal with it, Mac is better optimized most of the time.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

Super cool? I don't see how using a computer can make me cool. I do have more money in my pocket though.

Precisely. Using one OS as opposed to the other doesn't mean you are any more or less techie. Obviously, whilst the ignorant PC fanboys and the irritating Mac fanboys as well as the "SUPER KOOL!!!1!1one!1!!1" Linux users battle each other with ignorance, I'll be here in my house using all three each to complete different tasks. Have fun trying to game on a Mac or do Adobe editing on a PC, fanboy schmucks :)

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

2 from daily life

Not techsavy dad when he marks an application with the mouse and then press the startbutton waiting for it to execute.

*sigh* Explained it multiple times. He's a real pc noob.

Conversation on ts

annoying 12y old me

HELP LAG OMG 1!!11

Calm down please

*pause* other ppl talking

LAG OMG WTF

WTF THIS SERVER S..

Still lagging?

YEH

Delete system32

U sure

Sure

Okay

-User disconnected from your channel-

/priceless :P

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

2 from daily life

Not techsavy dad when he marks an application with the mouse and then press the startbutton waiting for it to execute.

*sigh* Explained it multiple times. He's a real pc noob.

Conversation on ts

annoying 12y old me

HELP LAG OMG 1!!11

Calm down please

*pause* other ppl talking

LAG OMG WTF

WTF THIS SERVER S..

Still lagging?

YEH

Delete system32

U sure

Sure

Okay

-User disconnected from your channel-

/priceless :P

I'm surprised that A: he knew where System32 is and B: Windows let him delete it.

I'm surprised that A: he knew where System32 is and B: Windows let him delete it.

Only god knows. But he wasnt active anymore. Nor on ts nor the gameforums :D

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Only god knows. But he wasnt active anymore. Nor on ts nor the gameforums :D

I would think that his sense of logic tells him not to delete things under the Windows folder.

Yesterday my grandma managed to keep accidentally closing Google Chrome while checking her email and looking at clothes online. Whenever she closed it, she yelled really loudly and told me to open it again -_-. And keep in mind, she used a Computer with Windows XP on it for god knows how long without any issues and when I build her a PC with Windows 8.1(Classic Shell installed) she has no idea how to use it.

Life.exe is missing

People who live in Wyoming don't know what a computer is so there's that.

But in all seriousness:

My entire class freaking out when I showed them bluetooth on their Macs. Teacher was pretty mad because they were too preoccupied to pay attention. (screen sharing, files transfer ETC) My teacher sometimes randomly sends me files of funny stuff during the day now. 

My entire grade freaking out when my M14X's keyboard lit up/changed color and asked me how their Mac can do that.

Everyone blaming me for "hacking" the servers network configuration (Wat?) whenever the wifi goes down... Those are their words not mine.

My classmate has a touch screen on her ASUS notebook. Holy shit white girls went crazy.

Whenever someone has a technology problem (literally anything) they come find me and I usually have no idea how to fix it. Took me forever to figure out how windows 8 worked to install a driver on aforementioned girls ASUS notebook. Was my first time ever using windows 8, but now that I have classic start and boot to desktop, and use it every day it's pretty simple.

Most people think I don't know how to fix anything because most of their problems are internet related. Example: Chrome page just has a ton of ?'s in black diamonds showing up. (I don't know how to fix that, anyone here know?)

Anyway, there are some more but those are the best ones IMO.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Yesterday my grandma managed to keep accidentally closing Google Chrome while checking her email and looking at clothes online. Whenever she closed it, she yelled really loudly and told me to open it again -_-. And keep in mind, she used a Computer with Windows XP on it for god knows how long without any issues and when I build her a PC with Windows 8.1(Classic Shell installed) she has no idea how to use it.

I'm afraid that I'll have to get my grandma off of Windows 7 before too long. I know, Windows 7 has extended support for a while more, but she needs as much security as humanely possible. I don't want to back up all of her stuff. It will take forever. -_-

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

People who live in Wyoming don't know what a computer is so there's that.

But in all seriousness:

My entire class freaking out when I showed them bluetooth on their Macs. Teacher was pretty mad because they were too preoccupied to pay attention. (screen sharing, files transfer ETC) My teacher sometimes randomly sends me files of funny stuff during the day now. 

My entire grade freaking out when my M14X's keyboard lit up/changed color and asked me how their Mac can do that.

Everyone blaming me for "hacking" the servers network configuration (Wat?) whenever the wifi goes down... Those are their words not mine.

My classmate has a touch screen on her ASUS notebook. Holy shit white girls went crazy.

Whenever someone has a technology problem (literally anything) they come find me and I usually have no idea how to fix it. Took me forever to figure out how windows 8 worked to install a driver on aforementioned girls ASUS notebook. Was my first time ever using windows 8, but now that I have classic start and boot to desktop, and use it every day it's pretty simple.

Most people think I don't know how to fix anything because most of their problems are internet related. Example: Chrome page just has a ton of ?'s in black diamonds showing up. (I don't know how to fix that, anyone here know?)

Anyway, there are some more but those are the best ones IMO.

One of my cousins lives in Wyoming the other Utah more relatives in Texas and none of them really know how to use a computer.

I'm afraid that I'll have to get my grandma off of Windows 7 before too long. I know, Windows 7 has extended support for a while more, but she needs as much security as humanely possible. I don't want to back up all of her stuff. It will take forever. -_-

Well good luck with that. My grandma also had norton installed on her old XP computer and I think she will eventually make be want to install it on this one because she paid a lot of money for it -_-

Life.exe is missing

One of my cousins lives in Wyoming the other Utah more relatives in Texas and none of them really know how to use a computer.

The Crack Kid (Vine, look it up) lives in Michigan. Fuck.

Well good luck with that. My grandma also had norton installed on her old XP computer and I think she will eventually make be want to install it on this one because she paid a lot of money for it -_-

I ditched my grandma's Webroot (it was the top end one) for Avast free. It protects better, runs better, and doesn't bog down her computer.

It took me 2 hours to try and remove all of the traces of the one "screensaver" she downloaded... So much shit in one little package...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I live in the rich part of Wyoming so yea. My school recommends Macs which I understand, but there is nothing they can do I can't.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

One of my friends thought my old CRT monitor was my computer.

Well those things are pretty big in his defense but yeah I don't see why someone would think that...  :ph34r:

Life.exe is missing

I live in the rich part of Wyoming so yea. My school recommends Macs which I understand, but there is nothing they can do I can't.

Is the Wyoming stereotype of being nothing but tall dry grass any true?

The Crack Kid (Vine, look it up) lives in Michigan. Fuck.

I ditched my grandma's Webroot (it was the top end one) for Avast free. It protects better, runs better, and doesn't bog down her computer.

It took me 2 hours to try and remove all of the traces of the one "screensaver" she downloaded... So much shit in one little package...

Too lazy I just watched the Elders React to to him.

Is the Wyoming stereotype of being nothing but tall dry grass any true?

Too lazy I just watched the Elders React to to him.

Yeah. I'm ashamed to live in the same state as him.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Yeah. I'm ashamed to live in the same state as him.

Well to be fair he was on a cracked piece of cement.  :P

Well, my grandparents have never seen a PC before, before they both passed. Luckily, I didn't have to do tech support. Neither can speak english.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D