Experiences with non-techies

17 hours ago, CT854 said:

I'm honestly curious as to where this came from.  When did people start calling their towers a "hard drive" or "CPU"?  I called it a CPU until I was tech-savvy enough to know better but that's just because my mom always called it that.

my mom comes in and is like "can you move your hard drive so I can clean?" After about 5 minutes I realize she meant the computer... Like, does she think that only the data is stored on there and the video signal magically appears?

I remembered another story from a traumatic after school program in 2nd grade. it was called "computer fun" or something like that, it was basically just a bunch of 7-10 year old kids smashing old computers that people donated to the school with almost no supervision and keeping the parts that looked cool to us (fans were a hot item). I did score a Pentium 4 engineering sample that for some reason was in one of the machines, and still have it to this day though. Anyway, one day a kid plugged in the exposed power delivery circuitry of a printer (because obviously if it has a plug that means you should plug it in.) He went on to touch it, shock himself, and burn his finger a bit. He was fine though

On 3/1/2021 at 12:35 PM, Belac F said:

. "YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. I WANT A CHEAP LAPTOP. THIS IS NOT CHEAP!" As I show them a 450 CAD laptop

Yeah I have to explain that to people. My moms desktop was a little over $300 if I remember correctly. Its a POS. Only has two SATA ports for hard drive and CD rom. I think the board has an M.2 slot BUT they have a proprietary mounting mechanism if I recall from my research. Next time she needs a computer Im just going to have her give me the money and Ill buy all the parts and build it myself to the specs I want. This way I know it will last a while. Because now she complains about it being slow. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Trying to explain to my boss that there's different versions of Windows 10. Like different OS builds of Windows 10. Like the laptop stuck on 1909 will stop getting security patches in May, the other computers are on 20H2 they're fine.

So at my school we have these 50 inch or so touch screens that plug into the teacher's computer for like, a white board and showing us the digital textbook. A few years ago someone was drawing on the board and the teacher's computer crashed, no BSOD, just froze. Kid goes, "Macs don't crash, macs are the best computer ever and can't get viruses, pcs crash because of viruses that macs can't get" (the teachers computer was one of the school provided 2013 macbook pros with like an i3 and 4g of ram, so yes, reeeealy crap macs can crash quite easily)

kill it with fire

16 hours ago, Science Officer Spock said:

This was years ago in elementary school, but using Aero Shake, a girl from my class thought that moving the Windows really fast like that would break the computer. I didn't and still don't understand the thought process behind this as my aunt saw me recently so the same thing and told me it would cause her computer to break. It's both cute and a little naive.

Maybe because frame lag in older machines... This picture is W7, but it was do able in 95 and other older OS as well.

BJGBH.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, tkitch said:

Create frozen screen effect - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

Exactly! I just couldn't find a better picture quickly than I did. 

Dragging windows used to make an already angry machine want to jump out of its self and strangle you. That was the best part of old crashes. New machines just don't quite manage to get the "revenge" factor built in like they used to...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I had to install Firefox over a very slow and buggy remote support connection (via Zoom, of all things... )for one of my grandparents because MS Edge did something which confused them and wasn't working correctly with some of the sites he was using.

I forget what; this was the old Edge before they switched to basically being a reskin of Chrome (with all of Google's bloat replaced with Microsoft's bloat instead).

If it had been new Edge, I might have delved in deeper and tried to actually work out what was confusing him and turn the feature off if possible - however, this was old Edge when it was still pretty much a laughing stock. New Edge was available at that point, but it hadn't been automatically installed via Windows Update yet and I didn't want to mess around installing the beta version.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:16 PM, CT854 said:

I'm honestly curious as to where this came from.  When did people start calling their towers a "hard drive" or "CPU"?  I called it a CPU until I was tech-savvy enough to know better but that's just because my mom always called it that.

Well calling the Desktop/Tower a CPU came from the Mainframe and Minicomputer Era. Referring to Memory/RAM and Storage Devices as "Primary Storage" and "Secondary Storage" also came from the same point in Time as well.

This drove me nuts when I went to Community College and took a few computer courses. To my Knowledge those Terms were never used with Microcomputers/PCs at all.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:16 PM, CT854 said:

Well calling the Desktop/Tower a CPU came from the Mainframe and Minicomputer Era. Referring to Memory/RAM and Storage Devices as "Primary Storage" and "Secondary Storage" also came from the same point in Time as well.

This drove me nuts when I went to Community College and took a few computer courses. To my Knowledge those Terms were never used with Microcomputers/PCs at all.

My Mom every time she sees it: 

Yoo, cool lamp !

3EB8C76B-32D2-440B-BE93-6E203089D8BD.thumb.jpeg.b4a8bbe10b5cc16fb2e9f204794138c2.jpeg

Me: That's not what that is:

A4E1115B-DC57-4654-AA9D-32353211847A.thumb.jpeg.88a61e12f9e3d2ba24c29e820794a4b3.jpeg

Meanwhile my actual lamp with two clearly visible wires: Am I a joke to you ?

6E8D1542-709A-47A9-B625-A488A485B5C9.thumb.jpeg.f34c5b44e3c85615fc57a24856ae212c.jpeg

This LTTStore sticker is so fitting now:

87C20B35-12A5-4944-90D5-7F9DE110E3B6.thumb.jpeg.ac3c4b1e97a4214af9bb9e5d97a9e372.jpeg

Spoiler

For reference I always put my Headphones back into their case while I'm not home and not using them.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I don't see why they couldn't have made the headphone stand a lamp too. I'm sure the base is hollow. Get a LED panel, thermal epoxy it to the bottom of the upright, and shove a driver into the base and cord out the butt.

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I don't see why they couldn't have made the headphone stand a lamp too. I'm sure the base is hollow. Get a LED panel, thermal epoxy it to the bottom of the upright, and shove a driver into the base and cord out the butt.

I actually used my lamp as a headphone stand ( the only headphones that weren't too heavy were the sennheiser hd201

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

On 3/5/2021 at 8:51 PM, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

So at my school we have these 50 inch or so touch screens that plug into the teacher's computer for like, a white board and showing us the digital textbook. A few years ago someone was drawing on the board and the teacher's computer crashed, no BSOD, just froze. Kid goes, "Macs don't crash, macs are the best computer ever and can't get viruses, pcs crash because of viruses that macs can't get" (the teachers computer was one of the school provided 2013 macbook pros with like an i3 and 4g of ram, so yes, reeeealy crap macs can crash quite easily)

kill it with fire

Schools 50 inch touch screens! Times have changed. Neither the touch screen nor a 50" screen of any description had been invented when I was at school!

2 hours ago, Ar558a said:

Schools 50 inch touch screens! Times have changed. Neither the touch screen nor a 50" screen of any description had been invented when I was at school!

We had a 'smart board' in a few class rooms that interfaced with a projector to allow teachers to draw on the projector or something? Yeah most used it as a white board because it doubled as a dry erase board and the teachers didn't know how to use them properly or they didn't always work right.

My 7th grade history teacher who was so confused how someone logged into his computer and changed his password. He had it written in permanent marker on the palmrest "so he wouldn't forget it".

2 hours ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

My 7th grade history teacher who was so confused how someone logged into his computer and changed his password. He had it written in permanent marker on the palmrest "so he wouldn't forget it".

Hackerman

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

My uncle wanted to register on a website but kept complaining because he couldnt get past the registration form (password too weak)

Then I had to tell him using 1234 these days wont cut it. "Will it work if i type it twice?" It didnt.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:17 AM, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

My uncle wanted to register on a website but kept complaining because he couldnt get past the registration form (password too weak)

Then I had to tell him using 1234 these days wont cut it. "Will it work if i type it twice?" It didnt.

So many people who would benefit from a password manager... as long as they didn't write the password manager password on their palmrest. 😬

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

4 hours ago, CT854 said:

So many people who would benefit from a password manager... as long as they didn't write the password manager password on their palmrest. 😬

I use Passphrases so it is easy for me to remember. And yes always use numbers and special symbols.

21 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I use Passphrases so it is easy for me to remember. And yes always use numbers and special symbols.

I'd do that too, if sites never had existed that limit your password to like 8 or 12 or 16 characters, or that only allowed alphanumeric characters. (Once I first learn a way of doing something, I keep doing it that way for decades. Frequent change is hard for me.)