Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nillas12

Experiences with non-techies

7 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

read this carefully

I am a christian I will not apoligize.

I play minecraft

The unanimous Declaration of the penguins independance

when in the Course of technological events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all computers are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are security and customizability . — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Operating System becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Operating System, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their security and customizability. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Operating Systems long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Operating systems, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of control. The history of microsoft windows is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these pc's. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Microsoft has refused there Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

Microsoft has forbidden there users to pass patches of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till there Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, they have utterly neglected to attend to them.

Microsoft has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

Microsoft has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with there measures.

Microsoft has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

Microsoft has endeavoured to prevent the compitition to windows; for that purpose obstructing the The furthurment of technology; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of pcs.

Microsoft has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing there Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers..

Microsoft has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

Microsoft has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving there Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

Microsoft has abdicated Government Microsoft, by declaring us out of there Protection and waging War against us.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our human brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement Microsoft. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the penguins of linux, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent Operating System, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the Microsoft Emporer, and that all political connection between them and the Operating system windows, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Operating System, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent Operating Systems may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

7 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called " xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install " lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

this is lunix this is bsd and this is mandrake

I play minecraft

when in the Course of technological events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all computers are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are security and customizability . — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Operating System becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Operating System, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their security and customizability. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Operating Systems long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Operating systems, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of control. The history of microsoft windows is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these pc's. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Microsoft has refused there Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

Microsoft has forbidden there users to pass patches of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till there Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, they have utterly neglected to attend to them.

Microsoft has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

Microsoft has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with there measures.

Microsoft has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

Microsoft has endeavoured to prevent the compitition to windows; for that purpose obstructing the The furthurment of technology; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of pcs.

Microsoft has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing there Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers..

Microsoft has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

Microsoft has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving there Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

Microsoft has abdicated Government Microsoft, by declaring us out of there Protection and waging War against us.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our human brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement Microsoft. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the penguins of linux, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent Operating System, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the Microsoft Emporer, and that all political connection between them and the Operating system windows, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Operating System, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent Operating Systems may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

Most of these are from a FreeGeek ad, I'm guessing the person that wrote these isn't very knowledgeable:

"The Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core 3.4 GHz processor gives demanding applications power when they need it. While the Intel chip processes data, the clock speed reaches 3.4 GHz as electricity travels to four individual processors in the CPU."

"Each core of the four in this Intel chip help your system run efficiently without overheating."

"When extra speed is needed, the Intel Core chip is suitable for overclocking with a max turbo frequency of 3.90 GHz." IT'S A NON-K SYSTEM!!!!!

"When the Intel Core 3.4 GHz chip works hard, thermal design power helps to ensure that the case only reaches 67.4 C, and the junction components rise to 105 C." wat

"If this Ivy Bridge Intel Core 3.4 GHz chip is used in a business environment, its protection technologies will keep everything secured." excuse me? meltdown, spectre

"Socket Type    LGA 1155/Socket H2" then later it says "Compatible Slots    1X Processor-LGA 775/Socket T Socket"

also they are selling a c2d for 250 usd

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // FAQ

If you want to make a thread, check if there is another related thread first.

It's American Pride Month! (At least that's what @Crunchy Dragon said)

24 minutes ago, Gegger said:

ha zombieload time

I can crash a computer in 30 seconds by running a .bat file with the contents %0|%0.

I can crash a computer in 1 second by yeeting it.

I also now have about 7 GB of viruses on an autorun flash drive.

image.png.13b21ce42a44f6c03be2cfbc2645a4d8.png

it's not a freaking cpu

found on tinkercad

and i just got my finger stuck under my shitty keyboard

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

10 minutes ago, Gegger said:

image.png.13b21ce42a44f6c03be2cfbc2645a4d8.png

it's not a freaking cpu

found on tinkercad

and i just got my finger stuck under my shitty keyboard

I am dying!

I play minecraft

Posted (edited)

Will keep details vague ...

Store has their POS (Point Of Sales, but could also be Piece Of Shit) server in the manager's office, that server is used as a file server and for the point of sale application used on the registers.

Was at the store for some regular maintenance (dusting and a quick check of the server and network equipment).

When I checked the server, I had to move the rack (it's an enclosed 8u rack on wheels). There were some lightning USB cables laying on top of the rack (obviously to charge employees phones). But ... When I moved the rack, the cables stayed there ... WTF??

After a quick look, I found out the employees had left the back of the rack open and were using the server back USB ports to charge their phones !!!

On of the cables was all mangled with exposed wires!!! Thankfully the server and it's USB ports we're fine.

Small precision ; yes, the office has a desktop with front USB port, and a power bar, both of which are more accessible than the back of the server rack.

... Looks like that store "common sense" was dragged out the back and was shot in the head ....

EDIT :

pic of the cable 

Spoiler

rsz_photopictureresizer_190601_154010059_crop_2893x1612.jpg.ae7095003bf697bf96c9939c3a481952.jpg

Edited by wkdpaul

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

The Community StandardsPSU Tier list | PSU Whitelist

3 hours ago, Almighty_Denny said:

Something that I see happens a lot is people calling 'the CPU' to the desktop tower / the computer itself. 😋

An administrator at my old elementary school (not a system administrator) used to call the tower a "hard drive". She even put up a chart of what to do when you are leaving the computer in the computer lab, and one of the steps said "put the keyboard and mouse on top of the hard drive". My smartass asked her if I should open the computer and put the keyboard and mouse on top of the actual hard drive.

Do you like Transit? If you do, feel free to leave a post on the Transit thread.

Subaru fans unite.

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@3.9 GHz (1.294V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|AMD Wraith Spire|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo (1878 Boost, 8808 Mem)|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Dell XPS 420:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Phone: Samsung Galaxy s8 64GB (with a 200 GB MicroSD card)

Laptop(s):

Acer Spin 15 64GB Chromebook:

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Acer 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display|No HDD

A bunch of Dell Vostro 1000s

An old Powerbook G3

And an old 17" Macbook Pro Mid-2007

35 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

snipity snapity schnoz

that cable...

my eyes hurt

my friends and i once took a generic lightning cable and bent and abused it for 2 hours and it was never like that....

No Johnathan, the entire PC is NOT the motherboard!

I can crash a computer in 30 seconds by running a .bat file with the contents %0|%0.

Just now, Gegger said:

that cable...

my eyes hurt

my friends and i once took a generic lightning cable and bent and abused it for 2 hours and it was never like that....

how tf can it still conduct power...

1 minute ago, Gegger said:

that cable...

my eyes hurt

Sounds like a normal friday night, oy lads lets bend some cables ! 

Speaking of cables...

Image result for opening usb cable package bored panda

Just now, Norwegiantweaker said:

Sounds like a normal friday night, oy lads lets bend some cables ! 

One time I had a friend over on a friday night and we tried to delete System 32 off of Windows Server 2000 on a Optiplex 960.

Do you like Transit? If you do, feel free to leave a post on the Transit thread.

Subaru fans unite.

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@3.9 GHz (1.294V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|AMD Wraith Spire|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo (1878 Boost, 8808 Mem)|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Dell XPS 420:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers

Laptop(s):

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Acer 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display|No HDD

An old Powerbook G3

1 minute ago, Kaloob said:

One time I had a friend over on a friday night and we tried to delete System 32 off of Windows Server 2000 on a Optiplex 960.

Make sure to use the "Takeown" command or else you can't touch it.

3 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

No Johnathan, the entire PC is NOT the motherboard!

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but one time my sister wanted to get iMovie, and she asked me if her HP laptop running Windows 10 was a PC or Mac. She looked up "iMovie for PC", found a virus site, and before I could stop her, she downloaded it. Before she could open the .exe I deleted it off of her computer and ran a virus scan just in case.

Subaru fans unite.

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Dell XPS 420:

Laptop(s):

Dell Latitude D630:

An old Powerbook G3

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

Make sure to use the "Takeown" command or else you can't touch it.

I don't think I did that, but after that the log in windows wouldn't load.

Subaru fans unite.

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Dell XPS 420:

Laptop(s):

Dell Latitude D630:

An old Powerbook G3

11 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

how tf can it still conduct power...

i don't even know...

I feel like @Gegger is the new @themctipers.

Yup the yup.

Socialism is for figs.

Not supporting the political facade known as "Gay Pride."

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

i'm reading that part of the thread xD i'm on pg 1190

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

i forgot what i was known here for

is this bad or is this good

i7 3770k @ 1.3v 4.0GHz | 2x8GB CAS9 1600MHz | Radeon VII | ASUS P8Z77-V LE | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

i forgot what i was known here for

is this bad or is this good

It is neither good nor bad.

And I mostly know you for this thread

Yup the yup.

Socialism is for figs.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

It is neither good nor bad.

And I mostly know you for this thread

hard to believe 2017 was 2yrs ago

and 2016 was 3yrs ago

because that's 1/5th of my life away lol

i7 3770k @ 1.3v 4.0GHz | 2x8GB CAS9 1600MHz | Radeon VII | ASUS P8Z77-V LE | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 minutes ago, themctipers said:

hard to believe 2017 was 2yrs ago

and 2016 was 3yrs ago

because that's 1/5th of my life away lol

But you're like 10 /s

Yup the yup.

Socialism is for figs.

Pyo.