Experiences with non-techies

On 10/14/2019 at 12:05 AM, RiverChicken said:

So in my Computer Graphics class (we learn how to use photoshop, illustrator, etc) there were a few upperclassmen in the back of the room trying to build a "Gaming" pc (i3, no GPU). I was kind of watching them out of the corner of my eye for a while, and it looked as if the only instructions they were given were "all of these pieces go into this big box". They didn't use any of the motherboard standoffs, they forgot thermal paste and figured "it'll be fine", and they somehow (dont ask me how) got the cpu in BACKWARDS. SERIOUSLY. Like, rotated 180 degrees. With the retainer down and everything. HOW DO YOU EVEN DO THAT??

I swear I can never unsee that you guys. It was truly disturbing...

How can a young person not know how to build a computer? That's almost the one thing we are good at.

9 hours ago, Schnoz said:

I guess you COULD utilize your hard disk caches as RAM. You could several gigabytes actually by hooking up a bunch of HDD's with a 128 MB cache each.

For to use the data storage caches as RAM, use a SSD NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 (7.8GB/s), same performance as DDR2 PC2-8000 :D

But his health will not survive for long ?

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

Seen someone today in the dimmer room (Where we patch dimmed power lanterns (15 amp)) 

He's a new kid learning the ropes, I think he was on placement

We have 3 x 3 phase power (64 amps) that come into the room where we can plug the dimmers into. 

Someone asks him to plug dimmer rack 3 into no3 socket on the wall. (pretty normal request in a theatre) 

These bad bays are a bit of a tight fit and take a good push to get them in.

he doesn't know this, so has a look up the female side on the wall, then proceeds to try and get his finger into one of the holes (you can fit a pinkie in if you try) 

I walk in and literally kick his hip to push him away from this, and proceed to explain that in 3 phase power, every pin is a live pin. 

Is it not common sense that you don't stick a finger into a plug socket? 

He could have been dead on the floor if he had managed to get his finger in. 

Also each rack has 60 dimmers and they're 2400w each, and im pretty sure most of the channels were already live for so that when they came online the bar of lights we just rigged would come on. We deal with some real power 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

YaBoiWill - You're a hero! You saved his life whether new kid knows it or not. 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

this shit showed up in my recommended feed

1569995340_Screenshot2019-10-17at9_08_26PM.png.04251e566d7292022543f1df15cbf102.png561861246_Screenshot2019-10-17at9_08_10PM.png.ee7ecbab00160b065ef0db07ad61fa24.png703898578_Screenshot2019-10-17at9_08_01PM.png.31b3dcd15260707c5dbc26df00d93006.png362964711_Screenshot2019-10-17at9_07_41PM.png.50aeb3c4df931457eb3226067692d3c7.png

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

7 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

quality adapter

I mean, a TRRS connector and USB A do have the same number of pins, so this could make "sense," I just don't see a use case.

Would be a cool cable for a keyboard.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

14 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

I mean, a TRRS connector and USB A do have the same number of pins, so this could make "sense," I just don't see a use case.

Recording your keyboard using audacity.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

On 10/15/2019 at 12:53 AM, Schnoz said:

One more: Around 10 people or so at my school type with their two index fingers adn nothing else. Remember, these are HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS TYPING WITH THEIR INDEX FINGERS. They're actually pretty fast typing like that though.

I don't "touch type" but I do use much more than 2 fingers... And don't have to look on keyboard.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

23 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

quality adapter

12 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

That's an iPod Shuffle USB cable.

There's probably a few other uber obscure devices that use it (there are devices that use TS/TRS power bricks), but the Shuffle gen 2+ had to use TRRS due to form factor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

Recording your keyboard using audacity.

Well, I was thinking just use a trrs jack instead of a usb port on the board (A custom pcb w/ an integrated controler)  but your idea would be even better.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

18 hours ago, mcbaes72 said:

You're a hero! You saved his life whether new kid knows it or not. 

He knows now. we now have a company policy (as im currently on a tour) that only certain people are allowed to do patching and be in the dimmer room of the venue. 

I did spend my lunch hour with him showing and doing 3 phase socket wiring, along with 15 amp. The more you know! 

he will probs never use that info, apart from don't jam a finger into a socket. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

On 1/16/2013 at 4:47 PM, rainbrodash666 said:

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

I am actually appalled, I mean WTH??

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Noob user ; I don't have *application* installed!! I really need it for my daily tasks!!!!11!1!1

Tech ; Let me remote in and have a look!

*Remotes in, open the Start menu, copy the shortcut to the desktop*

Tech ; There you go, you're all set

I hear that WAY TOO OFTEN!!!! How do people deal with this on their personal computer? Like it's the same thing! You don't open the fuckin start menu even at home?

This is braking my brain in so many different ways...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Bout to show the secretary how to print an invoice to PDF and email it, she says go step by step so she can write it down.

Ok this is like the 4th time she's written it down this year and probably the 8th time I've shown her how. Yeah, same person as before.

10 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Noob user ; I don't have *application* installed!! I really need it for my daily tasks!!!!11!1!1

Tech ; Let me remote in and have a look!

*Remotes in, open the Start menu, copy the shortcut to the desktop*

Tech ; There you go, you're all set

I hear that WAY TOO OFTEN!!!! How do people deal with this on their personal computer? Like it's the same thing! You don't open the fuckin start menu even at home?

This is braking my brain in so many different ways...

Users are probably used to consumer devices like iPads where everything is on one screen.

... it is on one part of the screen (the fucking start menu), but they just don't learn.

idk

On my way home from work on the train, I heard this from a conversation between two guys talking about laptops.

"Dude, don't get an AMD or INTEL, they both blow, get an ASUS."

I'm like, what the hell?

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Bout to show the secretary how to print an invoice to PDF and email it, she says go step by step so she can write it down.

Ok this is like the 4th time she's written it down this year and probably the 8th time I've shown her how. Yeah, same person as before.

Ended up just doing it myself out on the shop pc, didn't have time to train her how to do it again for the 5th time. She's old and just can't retain new information, keeps getting peoples names and cars all mixed up all the time, pretty sure she's loosing it mentally.

3 hours ago, Xiee said:

On my way home from work on the train, I heard this from a conversation between two guys talking about laptops.

"Dude, don't get an AMD or INTEL, they both blow, get an ASUS."

I'm like, what the hell?

get an ASUS ARM chromebook!

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

Spoiler

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I type this in Google, and these is what it came up with

Googlesucks!.JPG.15abb8469fbb8ed6aaea1106d28f8eb9.JPG

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I found this. A Core 2 Extreme, still at MSRP and still in stock...

image.png.6f7d648c4fd2a014169ceb94b058b9af.png

It's sold by a 3rd party, Mega Micro Devices Inc

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

On 10/31/2019 at 10:41 AM, NumLock21 said:

I type this in Google, and these is what it came up with

All valid questions.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

All valid questions.

I typed the same thing today and they fixed it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

34 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I found this. A Core 2 Extreme, still at MSRP and still in stock...

image.png.6f7d648c4fd2a014169ceb94b058b9af.png

are they pulling a "this dual core processor....with it's four cores"

Spoiler