Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Kids in school still using USB sticks (and losing them all the time, also they don't work half the time)  even though everyone has OneDrive. 

Also whenever I tell them what my hobby is, they always have to ask the same stupid Question: ArE yUo a hAcKeR ? 

#JustREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They probably don't have reliable internet at home, a lot of kids at my school don't.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

This is what happens to me when I bring an ergonomic mouse to school. Not /s

only 1 of my friends knows what a trackball is

me: you know those arcade games with that ball thing?

THAT'S WHAT ATRACKBALLIS

fuck it my spcaebar isbroken

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 9/9/2019 at 4:34 PM, Pascal... said:

Kids in school still using USB sticks (and losing them all the time, also they don't work half the time)  even though everyone has OneDrive. 

Also whenever I tell them what my hobby is, they always have to ask the same stupid Question: ArE yUo a hAcKeR ? 

#JustREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

OneDrive sucks. I say that from a professional standpoint.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

I work in technical service at a home electronics store and this thread is more or less my jobb every day. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my job but after showing anyone over 60 how to use an smartphone or laptop (or anything) I want to cry a little bit. 

I know that not anyone know about tech like we here in the forum but really? How hard is it to open a locked smartphone by swping? 

On 8/30/2019 at 7:39 PM, wkdpaul said:

/r/TechSupportGore is one hell of a place ...

fwyQtZS.jpg

I'm sorry, but are those drill holes?  Trying to understand what has happened here.

And yeah, see some great stuff posted to that sub :D

1 hour ago, Koeshi said:

I'm sorry, but are those drill holes?  Trying to understand what has happened here.

And yeah, see some great stuff posted to that sub :D

Yeah, I remember the story, the tech drilled holes in the back of the SSF case to mount it somewhere ... He did that twice ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

people not ejecting flash drives properly then wailing when they can't get their data

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

Spoiler

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

5 minutes ago, Gegger said:

people not ejecting flash drives properly then wailing when they can't get their data

Device was removed unexpectedly

WTF are you on about Windows, I was totally intending on removing that USB drive, it wasn't unexpected!!!

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Device was removed unexpectedly

WTF are you on about Windows, I was totally intending on removing that USB drive, it wasn't unexpected!!!

Had an instance this week where the lady just unplugged her 3tb external drive in the middle of copying files then was badgering me about recovering her data

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

25 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Had an instance this week where the lady just unplugged her 3tb external drive in the middle of copying files then was badgering me about recovering her data

Yeah ... Usual (l)user bs!

Yeah ... Usual (l)user bs!

I don't think she liked the price I told her recovery would start at as a minimum ($300 USD) 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

oops accidental post

Spoiler

Introducing a new series: Stupid FreeGeek eBay Descriptions

From a Pentium G620 listing:

The Intel Pentium processor delivers great desktop and mobile performance, low power enhancements, and multitasking for everyday computing.

From some 3D printer filament:

All units are inspected and wiped to federal standards by our team.

From an i3-2100:

The Intel Core i3 processor is the perfect entry point for a fast, responsive PC experience. This processor comes equipped with Intel HD graphics, an advanced video engine that delivers smooth, high-quality HD video playback, and advanced 3D capabilities, providing an ideal graphics solution for everyday computing. A smart choice for home and office, the Intel Core i3 processor also features Intel Hyper-Threading technology, which enables each core of your processor to work on two tasks at the same time, delivering the performance you need for smart multitasking. Do not let too many open applications slow you and your PC down. Get smart performance now.

From a Maxtor DiamondMax HDD:

The storage is 200GB as opposed to 250GB.

From a Seagate Barracuda HDD:

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 is the perfect 3.5-inch hard drive for extending the storage capacity of your home or office computer. With a 200GB hard drive, this Seagate 3.5-inch hard disk enables you to store all of your data. The spindle speed of up to 7200 RPM in this Seagate 200GB hard drive quickly reads data off the disk, giving superior performance. The serial ATA/150 interface in this Seagate 3.5-inch hard disk provides superb connectivity with other networks. The Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 offers 95 Mbytes/sec internal and 100 Mbytes/sec external transfer rate for moving data with a great speed. With a seek time of 8 ms, this Seagate 200GB hard drive locates a particular piece of data at a faster rate.

From a Core 2 Duo E7500:

Get more performance for your power consumption and improve your system’s lifespan with the efficient Dual Core E7500. The 45nm process used in this device reduces power consumption to 65W. Not only does this low consumption reduce your electricity usage, it also leads to lower temperatures, helping to improve your system’s longevity. Intel’s Enhanced SpeedStep Technology and Idle States improve efficiency even further, ensuring it consumes only as much power as necessary. However, just because this system is efficient doesn’t mean it lags behind on performance. With a Front Side Bus speed of 1066 MHz and a 3MB L2 cache, this processor gives quick access to data and keeps up with demanding games and enterprise applications. This balanced mixture of power and efficiency allow this processor to fit well in both home and business situations.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Genwyn said:

Saw a build recently on craigslist where someone appraised their PSU as being worth at least 170$ because it was 170$ on amazon.

The PSU in question is a CX 430m

They refer to this tower as a "gaming cpu" but do not list the CPU info anywhere in it at all.

You can view for yourself here:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/sop/d/valparaiso-gaming-cpu/6975685739.html

bloody valparaiso... of course. of course in indiana? why should we be expected to know what we're talking about before selling something online...

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

13 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

The school I go to is going to get rid of a very nice, barely-used Broadcast Pix Slate G server. I emailed them. They won't let me have it because of some dumb federal law. That thing has a Core 2 Quad and like 5 different PCIe cards.

just nab it once it hits the container :ph34r:

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

just nab it once it hits the container :ph34r:

Ye, just slurp it up like an electro-mechanical spaghetti

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Can't believe people are still using Norton (the consumer version) ... nobody should be using that, even if it's free.

One of our tech couldn't figure out why the VPN wasn't working on a user's personal laptop. He was connected remotely and I checked with him, Norton was doing a background scan that took +/- 20% CPU and was accessing the HDD like crazy, making that laptop seems like a useless piece of junk (even though it's a not so old HP with a 7200u and 8GB of RAM).

One we realized all the problems came from Norton, we were quick to fix it, but still! Please people, don't use Norton Security, it's junk!

Can't believe people are still using Norton (the consumer version) ... nobody should be using that, even if it's free.

One of our tech couldn't figure out why the VPN wasn't working on a user's personal laptop. He was connected remotely and I checked with him, Norton was doing a background scan that took +/- 20% CPU and was accessing the HDD like crazy, making that laptop seems like a useless piece of junk (even though it's a not so old HP with a 7200u and 8GB of RAM).

One we realized all the problems came from Norton, we were quick to fix it, but still! Please people, don't use Norton Security, it's junk!

But I like the cookie...

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

True story: A guy at my school swapped the "Tab" and "Backspace" keys on one of the Cornbooks with each other, as well as the "Shift" and "Enter" keys. Guess what happened after that.

this sounds like a epic prank.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

It was pretty epic.

I also told a guy to come in a Morphsuit painted in Black 2.0 for Halloween. That stuff absorbs 99 percent of all light so he'll come in looking like the void.

Wow your school sounds about 98% more people interesting than mine

9 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

True story: A guy at my school swapped the "Tab" and "Backspace" keys on one of the Cornbooks with each other, as well as the "Shift" and "Enter" keys. Guess what happened after that.

Back in my days, we actually forced the IT department to up their game in the security department ; we realized that when they created users, they always used the same password ... for everyone!

The next batch of students got a surprise ; we found out the new users usernames, logged into their accounts (there was no prompt to change the password) and dropped a batch file in the start folder that opened 20 browser Windows(if I remember right) another 20 video files (hidden on a server somewhere) and a few other things.

Needless to say the IT dept. wasn't happy ... at all! That had the effect to crash part of the network when all 25 or so new students tried to login!

But at least it had the effect of them not using one initial password on new accounts! lol

I actually just remembered a story of where a computer actually caught on fire in one of my classes because people kept stuffing paper in them.

A day, I was high school student. In the computer room for high school students, I had changed Windows 95 startup screen (logo.sys), I had put a custom startup screen.

And other day, an IT administrator had seen this custom startup screen. What was he doing? He had formatted it and reinstalled Windows 95...

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

Just read the thread about thin and light laptops and remembered how people at university reacted to my laptop. Well my laptop is a HP EliteBook 8470p (specs in sig if you're interested). So some of them think that my laptop is super old and slow because it's thick and has a DVD drive.

So one day a coleague was sitting next to me during a break and saw that my laptop booted rather quick.

Him: How did your laptop boot so quick?

Me: I've put a 240GB SSD in it.

Him: Why have you bothered upgrading this laptop at all??

Me: Why wouldn't I?

Him: Just look at it. It's so old, even older than mine. And it's probably really weak as well. Can't run anything.

Me: It's not that old. It even has an third gen i5 and 8GB RAM.

Him: What?? That's impossible!

So I showed him the specs of my laptop and as it turned out his laptop was the old and slow one (it had a Pentium and 4GB RAM, he then upraded it to a first gen i5).

This same guy said that he had pirated Windows 10 and would reinstall his laptop with genuine Windows 10 because pirated windows is slower somehow. And this is just wrong unless he downloaded a tampered with copy from a shady website (not sure if this sentence makes sense).

Well, there's more, but this is all I can remember at the moment.

Main PC: Acer IPISB-VR│Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4GHz│AeroCool AirFrost 4 with Noctua NF-A9│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│nVidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB│Cricual MX500 250GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm + Seagate 1TB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 & Windows 11 Pro│CoolerMaster Silencio 352M│Seasonic M12II-520 EVO 520W│Acer SA220Q 22" 1920x1080

Secondary PC: MSI H81M-P33│Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│16GB DDR3 1866MHz (1600MHz) Dual-channel│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + Seagate 1TB│Windows 11 Pro│Acer Aspire M1930 case│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

Test PC/Nice XP PC: ASUS M2N│AMD Athlon64 x2 6000+ 3.1GHz│CoolerMaster unkown model│4GB DDR2 800MHz│nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB│Hitachi Deskstar 80GB 7200rpm + WD Raptor 74GB 10000 rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 + Windows XP Pro SP3│TurboX Case│Zalman 450W│LG Flatron L1718S 17" 1280x1024

Future workshop PC: ASUS M4N68T-M-V2│AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8GHz│Some 130W tower cooler│8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│AMD Radeon HD4670 512MB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840 case│Antec VP350P 350W│Lenovo L220x. 22" 1920x1200

HTPC: HP Elite 8200 USDT│Intel Core i7-2600s 2.8GHz│6GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD Graphics 2000│WD Blue 1TB 5400rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64│JVC LT-32VF30K 32" 1920x1080

New Main laptop: HP ProBook 455 G9│AMD Ryzen 5 2625U 2.3GHz│16GB DDR4 3200MHz│AMD Radeon RX Vega 7│1TB NVMe SSD│Win 11 Pro│15.6" 1920x1080
Old Main laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│Kingston 240GB SSD│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Secondary laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Corei7-3520M 2.9GHz│8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│2 x Crucial BX500 500GB SSDs│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Main phone: Sony Xperia X CompactOther phones: Sony Xperia L3, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (x2){and both are dead now}, Sony Xperia E3, Sony Xperia Tipo + 12 more (not going not list everything)

Most other PCs and laptops I own:

Spoiler

Small laptop: Acer Aspire One D255│Intel Atom N550 1.5GHz│2GB DDR3 1333MHz│Intel GMA3150 256MB│Western Digital 500GB 5400rpm KingDian S100 32GB Apacer AS350X 120GB SSD│Win 7 Ultimate x64 & Win 10 Pro x64 Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit & Q4OS│10.1" 1024x600

Old secondary PC: ASUS A7V8X-X│AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0GHz│Titan CPU Cooler│1.75GB DDR 400MHz│nVidia GeForce FX5700LE 256MB│2 x WesternDigital 40GB 7200rpm (sadly one seems to be dead)│Windows XP Pro SP3│Some case│Codegen 300XA 350W│Dell E173FP 17" 1280x1024 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768Philips 200P4 20" 1600x1200

"The Old" PC: eMachines eTower 466i│Intel Celeron 466MHz│512MB RAM PC133│nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB PCI ATi 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x_ 4MB│Seagate Baracuda 40GB 7200rpm│Windows 98SE & Windows XP Pro SP3│IBM P50 14" 1024x768 CRT

"The Floppy" laptop: Clevo 2700C│Intel Pentium III 1.1GHz│512MB PC133 SDRAM│SiS 630 32MB shared│Samsung 40GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│15" 1024x768

"The P4" laptop: HP Pavillion ZD8000│Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz│2GB DDR2 666MHz Dual-channel│ATi Mobility Radeon X600 256MB│Seagate 100GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│17" 1440x900

Dell laptop: Dell Latitude D600│Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz│1.5GB DDR 333MHz│ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB│40GB IDE│Windows XP Pro SP3│14.1"  1400x1050

Future workshop PC (dead): MSI MS-7302│Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz│Stock cooler│3GB DDR2 800MHz│AMD Radeon HD7470 2GB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840│FSP Group 250W│Samsung SyncMaster 730bf 17" 1280x1024

Old Secondary PC: HP IPISB-CH│Intel Core i5-2320 3GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│8GB DDR3 1333MHz│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 2.5"│Windows 7 Ultimate x64│Acer Aspire M1930│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

Just had a pretty good one.

Folks are boomers, completely illiterate to technology. They have a smart TV and a TiVo box (TiVo is like AppleTV/Roku/Chromecast).

The WiFi went down and I got yelled at over it for some reason. So, I sit down at their computer, which is right next to the modem, and check the internet (I don’t use their WiFi, I have my own router.) Lo and behold no internet over WiFi. So, I run through basic troubleshooting as my parents explain the issue to me. They keep saying “the TV is connected to the computer”, and I keep telling them that it isn’t. Turns in to a screaming match before I realize they just refer to the modem as the computer...

Even after I corrected them they keep saying it... ffs

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは