Experiences with non-techies

24 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It was also kinda true for fx chips, but yeah

I was part of the minority that enjoyed FX, but they did run very hot and did perform worse than Intel counterparts so fair enough.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

33 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I was part of the minority that enjoyed FX, but they did run very hot and did perform worse than Intel counterparts so fair enough.

I too liked my 6100, in fact it is still running in my sisters in law esports pc, my brother has a 9590 and it still does pretty well with his RX 480 8gb.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I too liked my 6100, in fact it is still running in my sisters in law esports pc, my brother has a 9590 and it still does pretty well with his RX 480 8gb.

theres a quad core fx chip in one of the pcs in this house. It is the most powerfull processor here.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

12 hours ago, will4623 said:

theres a quad core fx chip in one of the pcs in this house. It is the most powerfull processor here.

wtf is your signature

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

wtf is your signature

you hit show more didn't you?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

53 minutes ago, will4623 said:

you hit show more didn't you?

yes

5 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

yes

It is the declaration of the penguins independence from Microsoft. 

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

Okay, something from Reddit (u/KodiakSA):

"Back in the 90s my Aunt taught at a secretarial college. A student called her on a Sunday trying to complete a typing assignment. She was frantic. Said she had removed everything from the desk. She had even removed the telephone from the desk and had placed it on the floor to make the call. She still couldn't understand why the computer said there wasn't enough space to save the file."

save it on the desktop.

Certain family members (who shall remain unnamed) call my PC a cpu...

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

10 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

very common, sadly

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

11 hours ago, star_pilot475 said:

Lots of "training" videos from the past refer to it as such, sadly. In a roundabout way it IS probably the easiest way to explain it to luddites. It is a unit that's central and performs the processing. Lots of people elevate the importance of the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and other peripherals (in very different ways than we gamers) that causes confusion.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Sellers on eBay who can't figure out the difference between ITX and ATX when listing hardware. Facepalm.

Not really a story but I just hate every person who overestimates the worth of whatever piece of tech they are selling, and when you tell them that it's actually worth much less they all turn arrogant and become irritating. 

7 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Not really a story but I just hate every person who overestimates the worth of whatever piece of tech they are selling, and when you tell them that it's actually worth much less they all turn arrogant and become irritating. 

Here the used market formula is get the new price and add 10%. Extra points if non-negotiable.

Meanwhile I sell my stuff for actual reasonable prices and of course everyone wants to buy it. I can even sell some shitty power supply and within the same day I'm already selling it to someone, because I price it at like 15~20€.

4 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Here the used market formula is get the new price and add 10%. Extra points if non-negotiable.

Meanwhile I sell my stuff for actual reasonable prices and of course everyone wants to buy it. I can even sell some shitty power supply and within the same day I'm already selling it to someone, because I price it at like 15~20€.

12 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I've got a Core2Solo laptop with 512MB of DDR2 RAM, a 250GB HDD, and a DVD drive with a 14.1" screen, no operating system, asking $450 obo no low balls I know what I have.

?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I've got a Core2Solo laptop with 512MB of DDR2 RAM, a 250GB HDD, and a DVD drive with a 14.1" screen, no operating system, asking $450 obo no low balls I know what I have.

?

This is what happens in my area too! Some idiot is trying to sell a GTX 770 for $150 USD.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

I gotta call myself out for work I did 20 years ago on my water cooled PC. Only 2 standoff screws were correct, the others were just kind of 'in there' and the threads all jacked up. Thankfully I had spare standoffs and new screws.

5 hours ago, star_pilot475 said:

This is what happens in my area too! Some idiot is trying to sell a GTX 770 for $150 USD.

Cars too man. 1987 4 cylinder Mustang with a torn top, busted auto trans and bent frame, $6500 no low balls haha shit like that kills me!

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Cars too man. 1987 4 cylinder Mustang with a torn top, busted auto trans and bent frame, $6500 no low balls haha shit like that kills me!

Vintage bikes too, here is a random assortment of rusty parts, most of a frame with some rusted and non original rims and ratty tires. It's a gem, a pearl! 11k, needs to be gone by next week, no lowballs it's a classic

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 hours ago, star_pilot475 said:

Some idiot is trying to sell a GTX 770 for $150 USD.

Actually saw a refurbished GT 710 going for £50 today.  Not ebay but on an actual site for refurbed hardware.  Can get the same model unopened on ebay for £36.

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

image.png.29a46d6005ca3db29b630d21c201085b.png

there installing what?

1 minute ago, Kaloob said:

Money.

Into their wallets.

wait lets make them install it in to hell to listen in! worth the 100 bucks!

Just now, Kaloob said:

It may be worth $100 to try and get them to install it into a ATX case.

Wonder what would happen.

its an ssd!

Just now, Kaloob said:

Actually mounting a Pi into a 2.5" bay may just work...

Now I've got ideas.

status update @ me and I will come running!