Experiences with non-techies

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

Yeah that makes no sense, you can't plug two cables into the back of a PSU in the first place (not until you're at server level) and why wouldn't she just get a normal extension cable?

I'm several early 2000s prebuilts you had an in and an output from the PSU so you could chain in the monitor and only needed a single wall plug. I'd guess the PSU would blow if you give 240V to the input side too because now you are shorting wall power over it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 1/16/2013 at 11:46 PM, Salmiakbal said:

I cringe at myself every time I visit this website. When I got my first PC, back in 2010 or something like that, I always watched videos on how to increase RAM for free since I had only 2 Gigs of it. Well, I found this website and clicked that 4GB ram since I didn't want to be too greedy and was sacred it will charge me somehow. So After I had "Downloaded" it, I clicked the more info button and I was rick rolled. But that was not the ending. My stupid-as-myself friend was sitting next to me and he said we have to watch the complete video to "get" the RAM. So we watched the whole complete rick roll video and checked my PC. It still had 2Gigs of RAM. Our day was ruined and we disliked the video and commented "I still have 2 GB of RAM. You scammed me.".

I still cringe so hard whenever I think about this stuff.

Admit it, We all had these moments. I love reading such stuff. Post your story here. I actually did some real cringy stuff myself. I got the idea for this Thread

Here's my entry :

I cringe at myself every time I visit this website. When I got my first PC, back in 2010 or something like that, I always watched videos on how to increase RAM for free since I had only 2 Gigs of it. Well, I found this website and clicked that 4GB ram since I didn't want to be too greedy and was sacred it will charge me somehow. So After I had "Downloaded" it, I clicked the more info button and I was rick rolled. But that was not the ending. My stupid-as-myself friend was sitting next to me and he said we have to watch the complete video to "get" the RAM. So we watched the whole complete rick roll video and checked my PC. It still had 2Gigs of RAM. Our day was ruined and we disliked the video and commented "I still have 2 GB of RAM. You scammed me.".

Another One

I tried installing COD : MW but my PC was crappy so it didn't work. I thought about changing my CPU. I found how this "TRICK" to change my CPU name using the registry. So I changed it to "INTEL TM 10GHZ SUPERPOWERFUL PROCESSOR 2013". I know, just don't loose a few teeth from the cringe.

And surprisingly COD didn't work :(

13 minutes ago, Lalit Kumar said:

I cringe at myself every time I visit this website. When I got my first PC, back in 2010 or something like that, I always watched videos on how to increase RAM for free since I had only 2 Gigs of it. Well, I found this website and clicked that 4GB ram since I didn't want to be too greedy and was sacred it will charge me somehow. So After I had "Downloaded" it, I clicked the more info button and I was rick rolled. But that was not the ending. My stupid-as-myself friend was sitting next to me and he said we have to watch the complete video to "get" the RAM. So we watched the whole complete rick roll video and checked my PC. It still had 2Gigs of RAM. Our day was ruined and we disliked the video and commented "I still have 2 GB of RAM. You scammed me.".

I still cringe so hard whenever I think about this stuff.

show the screenshot of the comment here

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

show the screenshot of the comment here

That happened a long time ago. I don't have that account anymore. My brother forced me to delete it. I did something I don't want to mention here. But the email was lucky721193@gmail.com if you can find some info about that using the email. Sorry to bust your bubble.

5 minutes ago, Lalit Kumar said:

That happened a long time ago. I don't have that account anymore. My brother forced me to delete it. I did something I don't want to mention here. But the email was lucky721193@gmail.com if you can find some info about that using the email. Sorry to bust your bubble.

what year?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

what year?

This happened somewhere around 2010-11 but the account was deleted in 2015-16.

8 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

Sparkle is actually a rather good brand of PSUs. Also known as FSP groub

Oh, what's the other similar sounding one that's total crap then? :lol: Anyway, I got her SSD swapped to the loaner PC which is a HP Elitedesk 800 G1 Desktop SFF w/ i5 4590S and 8GB DDR3 1333. Running the integrated graphics because I don't have a low profile bracket for the HD7570 or any other low profile video cards. It's still IMMENSELY faster than i3 550 system, it boots from cold to Xubuntu desktop in under 30 seconds, boots up Win7 Ult in VBox in about 45 seconds. The performance leap from 1st gen to 4th gen Intel is pretty big so when I re-assemble her system with the i5 4460S it'll be a pretty good jump too, a shame I don't have more RAM so I can load it out with 8GB, but Win7 runs OK on 2.5GB of RAM and 3 cores. She's certainly not a power user, the worst she does is have 1/2 dozen FF tabs open and watch a youtube video.

Her monitor has HDMI, DVI, VGA. Computer has VGA and Display Port. We have HDMI and DVI cables there. 

Ugh. Another trip to get a VGA cable. 

We'll put it this way, I work as a Sr. Technical Advisor for an IT manufacturer of connectivity solutions, and in my roughly 26 months with time I've created 5,821 cases, and closed maybe a few hundred more started by others.

I've had people ask why their anti-static mat isn't helping them sleep better because it's supposed to ground them from the negative ions in the air, had people shove USB-C connectors into a Thunderbolt 2 port on a 2015 MacBook Pro, and shove M.2 cards into a regular USB to SATA adapter. Those are some of the interesting support requests.

Pre-sales wise, I've had to explain how RAID is not a backup, why NVMe can't be converted to SATA, why a hard drive dock won't magically fix a dead drive, and the list goes on.

I've dealt with so much now, and on scales from a small as one item for one person, to a multi-million dollar deal for a tech company, as well as defence contractors, etc.

I've had everything from folks who admit they know nothing and just want a solution, to people who've been a network admin for 15 years and can't remember how to set a static IP.

I love my job, but some days it's draining.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

"uh yeah i put my drives in raid 0 so my data is safe right"

You've heard that one, right? Just curious, what's the most retarded thing someone has asked you about this?

no one i know irl knows what raid is

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

4 minutes ago, Gegger said:

no one i know irl knows what raid is

Simple, it's one of those MMO events.

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

46 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

people who've been a network admin for 15 years and can't remember how to set a static IP

300px-Tom_Cat_Reading_a_Newspaper.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

33 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

"uh yeah i put my drives in raid 0 so my data is safe right"

You've heard that one, right? Just curious, what's the most retarded thing someone has asked you about this?

Specifically in regards to RAID, it was why they couldn't just make a RAID 0 of their existing boot drive by leaving it in... After it wiped all their data. The manual warns in big, bold, size 18 font like 4 times before yiu get to the instructions on how to set a RAID level. They then also were upset to find out we couldn't reverse the option. Worse yet? This was the database server for a POS system of a client that the caller set up as they were an MSP. 

That's the worst I've had for RAID because like, so much should've been done better. Overall? I've done too much man, and it changes over time as to the dumbest things I've heard. 

I give everyone some slack, because they are the reason I can out food on the table. However, I give normal end users more slack than people who should no better give their position/job title. 

There still only so much stupid I can handle in a day though, regardless of coming from an IT professional, or end user. 

The unofficial saying at work amongst some of is when we hear they are a computer engineer, it means "Use small words and talk slower" 

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

18 hours ago, Bitter said:

Her monitor has HDMI, DVI, VGA. Computer has VGA and Display Port. We have HDMI and DVI cables there. 

Ugh. Another trip to get a VGA cable. 

She had a VGA cable in the wrong drawer. Oh well, an excuse to drive my fun car.

I found where the board was shorted, not worth fixing. Some SMD components are rotten and there's gunk under a transistor. I got the recyclable components pulled off, CPU, heat sink/fan, and DDR3 1600. The paste between the HSF and CPU was terrible, huge gaps and dried up. I'm shocked this thing wasn't throttling or maybe it was...I'm also wondering why/how I had put in 1600 memory. I think I have some 1333 here I'll send it back with because there isn't a need for faster memory. Now onto cleaning out the case...gross!

TIL that cat urine strips galvanization from PC sheet metal. Nasty.

18 hours ago, Pi31415 said:

Half these stories are made up now

Everything I've seen is pretty believable.  I've been keeping the best stories because the explanation is so specific that I'm worried the people who did it will find out I'm LOL'ing at them.  People doing the equivalent of deleting "system 32" on computers controlling complicated machines.

I saw someone who should know better, look me right in the eyes, look at a machine, stick a metal tool across hot leads and short out a control board.  

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

Spoiler

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

4 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

snipity snapity schnoz

wall of text be like

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Two more for tonight:

(Some of you have asked why I have so many stories. I live in the Bay Area and there a lot of people at my school are obsessed with hardware. Not all of them are from this year, but they are all true.)

Me: *building a PC with someone while chatting* Make sure to just put on a tiny bit of liquid metal.

Him: *accidentally shoots a jet all over the mobo*

Me: Oh sh1t! Clean it up! Don't turn it on or you'll brick it!

Him: oH iTs PrObAbLy FiNe *turns on PC*

And that is how I learned what burning electronics smell like.

Story 2:

I took apart a disposable camera. The capacitor was still fully charged. I touched it with a metal spudger. Largest, most painful shock I have ever received.

no way that's believable. did you just stand there like a smuch while this other guy was turning on the computer ? why do you even have it all plugged in ready to boot while ur messing with thermal paste/liquid metal? why didn't you stop him. why didn't you punch him square in the face when he was closing in on the start button ?

Now I don't consider myself a 'techie' but I know a bit about computers (at least a bit more than that avg person, I want to think, but not as much as some people) but my mom used to (not as much lately) call me to come to her then I would come and turns out she just needed to copy and paste some stuff. She didn't know how to copy and paste

On 5/27/2019 at 12:44 AM, Pi31415 said:

Half these stories are made up now

I've worked retail and a call center for years, believe me when I say I haven't seen a story that I thought was impossible. Common sense isn't all that common. People also "assume" a lot of things and don't "knowledge proof" themselves.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

A lot of people don't look at guides or other resources before doing things. I think that PCs were meant to be built with at least some research because otherwise you end up with single-channel DIMMs, an overpriced CPU, or just the shittiest case ventilation ever. Or you just brick your PC if you're not careful.

Technically, you need a minimum of knowledge when doing pretty much anything. Making mistakes is also perfectly fine, the issue is when someone can't admit a faults and/or learn from it. I feel that's most of the stories in here, the other parts are complete ignorance and/or a lack of learning from previous experience (from my call center days, the "regulars" that kept calling were the later : unable to learn, you could show them or explain a concept a 100 times, but a good night sleep would erase all that and they would call you back about the same issue that they can/should resolve themselves).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

So we exhibited our projects work today and the project of this Bitch was to shoot video tutorials for gymnastic exercises and what's a good idea to show them off ? Excactly, she brought her fucking iMac to school because she needed a "Big Display" Have you ever heard of a Projector before ??? We literally have massive, clean White Walls in our hallways and she could've easily asked our IT guy to lend out a Projector !IMG_20190528_111040.thumb.jpg.ea68d65abd46fef553109ae08dc39fd3.jpg

Oh and btw, yes those chairs do indeed hurt to sit on for a long period of time.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.