Experiences with non-techies

I just got called a hardcore Nvidia fanboy, just because I don't buy into the whole "Muh Nvidia panel sucks" bullshit.

Idiot demonstrated that he hasn't been here long.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I just got called a hardcore Nvidia fanboy, just because I don't buy into the whole "Muh Nvidia panel sucks" bullshit.

Idiot demonstrated that he hasn't been here long.

?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, GrockleTD said:

?

I've been here for years, and anyone that has known me for that time would know that I have many positive opinions on Nvidia and recommend AMD over Nvidia in literally every segment AMD competes in.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I've been here for years, and anyone that has known me for that time would know that I have many positive opinions on Nvidia and recommend AMD over Nvidia in literally every segment AMD competes in.

i was confused, thought you had been referring to me

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

confused.png

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

confused.png

they are saying although they like Nvdia, they still recommend AMD

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

confused.png

Basically, I only like Nvidia's 1070 and up, only for gaming. Otherwise, AMD is very often the better route.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:26 PM, Schnoz said:

Yep. One of the resistors was knocked off.

Couldn't you solder it back on? Those surface mount resistors can occasionally be a total bitch to solder on to the PCB if your a noobie to soldering but it isn't that bad as long as your somewhat handy with a soldering iron. I've done a couple before, dude, it's not worth buying a new 1060. Just solder that little cunt on.

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

I like the Nvidia control panel....it's easier to use to me than the flashy AMD one.

Don't you know, the Nvidia control panel is the worst thing ever! So many people are saying how bad it is!!!

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

off topic question but what does /s mean?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Just now, will1432 said:

off topic question but what does /s mean?

Means end of sarcasm.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Means end of sarcasm.

got it!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

Ok. So.

My aunty texts me the other day, asks if I have another hard drive she can use until she can get another one. I ask her if she means a USB thumb drive. She sends me a picture of the whole computer. Says it's been on the fritz and now completely shut down. I make plans to come get the computer to take it home to see what's going on with it. When I pick it up I get a little more detail, was using it and it froze completely, she had to shut off the power strip to turn it off. Came back a couple days later and it was not turning on.

I take it home and today and connect cables and try to power it on. Nothing happens when the power button is pushed. I pull the side panel and....So about a year ago she had an issue with one of her cats spraying. She rescues stray cats, most go to a shelter or good homes but some especially cute ones she keeps. She has 3 cats, 2 were rescues, and a rescue dog. When that one cat sprayed it killed two computer monitors because they're near a window, it would see another stray outside it had beef with, get all riled up, and spray whatever was near it.

So I open up the computer and am immediately hit with the odor or cat urine. I see the paperboard I had used to control airflow (case has a duct to the CPU,  inlet, and outlet fans, so I blocked the other vents to make sure the air was coming through the filtered front fan and that the CPU had straight cool air from it's side panel duct) was distorted from being wet and smelled terrible, there was sticky yellow dried urine on the case bottom, but the board power LED was lit. Press power button, nothing. Unplug 24 pin PSU connector and jump it, PSU fan just wiggles. Ok, PSU is dead it's a cheap ass Sparkle branded unit anyway so not surprise or loss. I grab a spare unit that's a known good, connect it, same thing. Ok, unplug board power switch header and short pins, same thing. Jump PSU 24 pin connector...same thing. Oh hell, this board smoked my good PSU!? I unplug the 4 pin header and jump the PSU on, it works. Do the same to the Sparkle unit, it also works.

Board has a short on the 12V somewhere. I don't have a spare mATX Socket 1156 board currently, so I'm lending her my HP EliteDesk SFF with 8GB and an i5 4590S. I just swapped her hard drive in and am fixing VirtualBox that's been broken for a while so she can boot up Windows7 in case she needs it for anything. This computer is WAY more computer than she needs but it's together and currently unused so it'll be on loan until I figure out what I'll do with the current mess. Might try to snag a used mATX board from ebay and just leave the CPU and RAM alone. I have some spare 4th gen stuff but it's parts I'd like to use for myself here.

Well it's like $150 to build the cheapest AM4 system I think I can assemble. So we're not doing new, sadly. I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced 1156 board on eBay that's not some weird SFF part or wholly integrated to a particular case and PSU. I have DDR3 already so that limits me to DDR3 systems in order to keep costs down. I may see if I can find a cheap good 1150 board and donate the 4460S to the cause.

On 2/4/2018 at 12:39 AM, aezakmi said:

Went to a friend's place because her computer wasn't working.

>try to turn it on, no response

>check the cables on the back everything seems ok

>wait there's something wrong here

>psu power output has two cables connected

>ask her why she did that and said she went to a hardware store with a drawing of the cable and asked the guys there for a longer cable because the one she had was too short, she plugged in both and boom goodbye computer

Later inspection revealed everything except for the cd reader was dead, and I got a free beer.

wait what ? hooking up to two outlets doesn't magically make it X2 the volt ?

Yeah that makes no sense, you can't plug two cables into the back of a PSU in the first place (not until you're at server level) and why wouldn't she just get a normal extension cable?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Yeah that makes no sense, you can't plug two cables into the back of a PSU in the first place (not until you're at server level) and why wouldn't she just get a normal extension cable?

even if they spliced one cable to two ( which i really don't see a reason to do what so ever ) it shouldn't matter ?. i need more info here super curious xD sounds like a frankenstein jobb 

I found an Asus H81 board for $30 shipped, working pull from a system recycler, hopefully it doesn't have the same issue my H87 board from Asus had where they listed compatibility with 4590S and 4460S processors but they just don't work. If that's the case I'll just return the board I guess, the Celeron G1820 I have for testing boards is actually slower than the i3 550!

I do have a spare system but it's too slow, I'm not giving her the Intel Atom system lolololol

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I found an Asus H81 board for $30 shipped, working pull from a system recycler, hopefully it doesn't have the same issue my H87 board from Asus had where they listed compatibility with 4590S and 4460S processors but they just don't work. If that's the case I'll just return the board I guess, the Celeron G1820 I have for testing boards is actually slower than the i3 550!

I do have a spare system but it's too slow, I'm not giving her the Intel Atom system lolololol

it run chrome? ?

Well the Atom D525 system has Nvidia Ion graphics (not sure if 1st or 2nd gen) and 4GB of RAM, it could run Chrome but struggles with 720p Youtube playback a little bit. The low power i5's are awesome though, all the computing power of a regular i5 but with much less heat, so you can build a very quiet system without having to tune the CPU voltages way down on a normal CPU with all the stability testing needed. Intel did all that for me already.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:41 PM, Drak3 said:

Don't you know, the Nvidia control panel is the worst thing ever! So many people are saying how bad it is!!!

/s

Nvidia control pannel isn't as pretty as the amd crimson software 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I was at the Dollar of Tree today, and I saw a MicroUSB charging dock thing that said "Compatible with Android™ (Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC)". *fumes inside*

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

55 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I WANT USB C DAMMIT

You know those USB phone fans? THERE IS NO USB C MODEL AT MY CVS

snipity snap

i got my finger butchered by one of them

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 5/24/2019 at 6:25 PM, Schnoz said:

The thing is, I can't find it. Even with a relatively powerful microscope, I still can't find it. And I don't have a soldering iron. And I found a deal on a $300 triple-fan triple-heatpipe 1660 Ti. But thanks for the suggestion. 

Darn, that really sucks that you can't find it. Good luck on that 1660 TI, btw, I think GTX 1070s used are going around for that price on ebay. If not cheaper.

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro