Experiences with non-techies

37 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

A guy at my school was bragging earlier how he had got PC Optimizer Pro for him and his entire family, and how there was a new "System64" folder in the C drive, and how his PC had 13000 issues or some shit and it fixed it...

The PC Optimizer Pro program is a well-known scam. It does nothing except take the user's data. 

I tried explaining to him how he just got scammed, but he wouldn't take my advice. However, you can deactivate anyone's license by going to pcoptimizerpro.com/admin and entering a SINGLE SPACE for the username and password. I found his email and terminated his license. 

The next day, he asked me how his license wasn't valid, and I told him to let me install Malwarebytes (he's pretty gullible if he doesn't know what he's doing). One scan revealed exactly 416 malware results on his PC, including a non-running copy of NotPetya (I have no idea either). Before removing them, I found most of them and backed them up to an external HDD for my virus collection (I can provide a Drive link if you're planning to destroy a PC). I then told him that this was a legitimate antivirus and PC Optimizer Pro does nothing, showing him the bootfile.txt file in the System64 folder, where all his data and system specs were there. He finally believed me, due to a noticeable speedup due to idle memory usage being halved. 

Today I heard from him before school. He had put full Malwarebytes licenses on all his family's computers. 

Your post history in this thread is beginning to scare me a bit. A virus collection?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

2 hours ago, GilmourD said:

Your post history in this thread is beginning to scare me a bit. A virus collection?

I think a lot of them are made up

19 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

I've been thinking that, too, to be honest.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

22 hours ago, GilmourD said:

to be honest, there's nothing wrong with a virus collection if used to learn from, but in this instance and use case I would agree with you.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

19 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

13 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

I've been thinking that, too, to be honest.

i did however test out his license killing method, and it does let me login to that site with just a space in user and password. Not sure if that is really affecting their servers or just a joke page put up, but still...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

i did however test out his license killing method, and it does let me login to that site with just a space in user and password. Not sure if that is really affecting their servers or just a joke page put up, but still...

It worked before iirc

nevermind i read it wrong it still works kek

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

51 minutes ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

This was awhile ago, she was just trying really hard to get on my good side and it was so adorable @Schnoz

Daaawwww.

So this girl in class today asked me why she can't open word on the Notebook. I go over, Notebook is completely frozen, I hard reset and ask her what she's done. She's like: I only clicked like 30 times on the icon but it didn't open. Me: See ? PICNIC !!! 

Notebook only has 2GB RAM btw

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 hour ago, Pascal... said:

Notebook only has 2GB RAM btw

*Begins curing at high volume repeatedly*

Ughhhh. Argghhh, eghhhh, e.t.c. Also season with profanity to suit your tastes.

2 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I used a Atom N280 (~Pentium III performance) and 1GB RAM notebook once

Spoiler

in 2019

2 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

my netbook with 2gb of RAM running windows 10 was usable, i kinda miss it tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Same here. I had something with an AMD C50 (dual-core, 9 watts, very slow by today's standards) and 2 GB of memory as well. However, it was actually pretty snappy in day-to-day tasks largely due to the good wifi card and the presence of an SSD.

If you have two options of laptop (a more powerful one with an HDD or a slower one with an SSD), if the specs are similar, always go for the SSD. Windows 10 will eat up about 50 percent of the disk transfer at idle.

image.png.80e696be6441bd4f35db77418b97cd22.png

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

my netbook with 2gb of RAM running windows 10 was usable, i kinda miss it tbh

How. I've got a relative that bought a pre-built a couple of years back with 2Gb or Ram and it's slower than molasses. You click somthing and often have to sit there for 30 seconds waiting for somthing to happen, (and thats after i cleaned the crud off it).

On 3/26/2019 at 3:10 PM, hiitswilliam said:

He has provided a link to the drive with the viruses, I do believe some or maybe most of his stories might be fake but there also might be little truth but just exaggerated.

7 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

How. I've got a relative that bought a pre-built a couple of years back with 2Gb or Ram and it's slower than molasses. You click somthing and often have to sit there for 30 seconds waiting for somthing to happen, (and thats after i cleaned the crud off it).

it had 10h of battery life, you could use like two  browser tabs while doing that too. Streamed bellow 720p content just fine too which was decent enough on a 10" screen. It was fairly slow but well above usable

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

52 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

(True story) I used to have this $250 HP pavilion piece of crap with an AMD 6410 APU. Although it had 4 gb of memory, the hard drive it came with was so slow that windows 10 couldn't run on it, or even Happy Wheels. My phone is literally faster than it in every way possible.

How much cache is on it, and what's the capacity? Mine is 8MB/1TB

Just now, Schnoz said:

I'm not sure about the cache, but its measured write speed was (I think) less than a megabyte per second and its capacity was 750 GB. 

The CPU has 4 cores at 2 to 2.4 GHz, 2.25 MB of combined cache, AMD R5 graphics, and is rated for 15 watts. Due to the tiny heatsink, the fan spun extremely fast and gathered a crapton of dust. 165 points in Cinebench don't help either.

The build quality was also quite terrible. A single drop from about 2-3 feet broke most of the clips holding the TN screen together.

I later got a Dell Latitude E6540, but I'm planning to move on now. That laptop can drain a new battery in less than an hour, and with the current battery with 50% wear (BIOS report), and with it weighing about 8 pounds, I'm eyeing an XPS 15.

the HDD cache...

crystaldiskmark?

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I'm not sure about the cache, but its measured write speed was (I think) less than a megabyte per second and its capacity was 750 GB. 

The CPU has 4 cores at 2 to 2.4 GHz, 2.25 MB of combined cache, AMD R5 graphics, and is rated for 15 watts. Due to the tiny heatsink, the fan spun extremely fast and gathered a crapton of dust. 165 points in Cinebench don't help either.

The build quality was also quite terrible. A single drop from about 2-3 feet broke most of the clips holding the TN screen together.

I later got a Dell Latitude E6540, but I'm planning to move on now. That laptop can drain a new battery in less than an hour, and with the current battery with 50% wear (BIOS report), and with it weighing about 8 pounds, I'm eyeing an XPS 15.

I am very sure my netbook didnt reach 100 points in Cinnebench lol

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I am very sure my netbook didnt reach 100 points in Cinnebench lol

Had a Atom N280 as a temp PC once.

Reached 0.27 points on cinebench r15 singlecore. That's worse than a fucking raspberry pi

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

Had a Atom N280 as a temp PC once.

Reached 0.27 points on cinebench r15 singlecore. That's worse than a fucking raspberry pi

I think my netbook was around 10 points in multi core R15? never bothered to screenshot it but it was the lowest i have seen myself

Builds:

Spoiler

I'm a systems consultant for a web application that has tiered roles (e.g. Administrators, Approvers, etc.). A call center service rep recently brought this garbage of a "technical issue" to my attention when an administrator claimed a specific button was not visible to him. Tried to throw me under the bus with management but I caught her in a lie. 

Service: Customer's Administrator cannot see the "button" when he emulates an Approver.

Me: Because that Administrator does not have permissions to that "button" and carries his own permissions into emulated sessions.

Service: But the Approver can see the button.

Me: Yes, because the Approver has permission to use the button.

Service: Then why can't the Administrator see the button?

Me: Because that Administrator does not have permissions to that "button" and carries his own permissions into emulated sessions.

\\ At this point the service representative sends an email outside of our ticketing system to me and my managers.

Service: The customer's Administrator is NOT emulating an Approver. I watched the Administrator directly log in as the Approver and they CAN see the button.

Me: Your ticket and your email describe two different things. First you said the Administrator emulated the Approver and could not see the button. Now you're saying they see the button only when logged in directly as the Approver. In the later case, this is still functioning as designed because the Approver does have permission to the button.

Service: I apologize for the miscommunication, I meant to say that the Approver cannot see the button even when signed in directly.

Me: Can you provide screenshots demonstrating that the Approver cannot see the button? The Approver's session history showed they used the button 4 times today, which would be impossible if they could not see the button.

Service: Ok, I will send screenshots. 

\\ This was 3 weeks ago, as expected I've never received the screenshots because the situation service described to me is factually impossible. 

Happened yesterday ... Another admin and I were ready to leave to go and visit a client. One of the call center tech comes up to us and ask if we could check on a user about her printing problems (that's normally outside of our scope, but whatever).

He's all smiling and tell us to come and look at her ticket.

Side not here, I always thought that what I'm about to describe was other techs and admins 'pulling my leg', or stretching the truth a little. But as I was about to realize, these user ARE real!!!

Basically, she didn't understand why she wasn't getting 5 pages out of her .... GIF file that had 5 frames ...

Yeah, she was trying to print an animated GIF ... *sigh*

The tech thought it was hilarious, my colleague said "it's way too early for this shit!" and walked away.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Happened yesterday ... Another admin and I were ready to leave to go and visit a client. One of the call center tech comes up to us and ask if we could check on a user about her printing problems (that's normally outside of our scope, but whatever).

He's all smiling and tell us to come and look at her ticket.

Side not here, I always thought that what I'm about to describe was other techs and admins 'pulling my leg', or stretching the truth a little. But as I was about to realize, these user ARE real!!!

Basically, she didn't understand why she wasn't getting 5 pages out of her .... GIF file that had 5 frames ...

Yeah, she was trying to print an animated GIF ... *sigh*

The tech thought it was hilarious, my colleague said "it's way too early for this shit!" and walked away.

4,999th post.

You almost fucking did it

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

*having an idea of sending her a gif that is a full hour long*

3600 pages later... ⏩

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Tell them VRAM helps the computer let you see what's on the display and when you're playing games, RAM helps them open more browser tabs, and storage helps them store more files, and that an SSD will let Windows run faster.

And it doesn't matter how much RAM you have, because you can always download more later.