What's with the Japanese clothing for LMG employees

Misanthrope

Yes I am very bored, No this is not supposed to be serious criticism.

What's with the traditional Japanese clothing? This is the second trip I see them use ridiculous clothing, is this a popular thing tourists do? I am all for exploring other cultures, I just don't get the "cosplay" aspect of it, forcing yourself to drop your food with chop sticks is already kinda ridiculous, but sitting on the floor dressed like a samurai? 

Discuss (and by discuss, I mean fail to read the first and now second disclaimer about how this is just kidding around and call me an idiot)

-------

Current Rig

-------

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

I thought they said they got them at the hotel?

And I don't mind it. It's a cool thing. (It's like getting those flower necklaces at Hawaii, which you see in movies :P )

But can't say I have ever done it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

...Why is it ridiculous to wear traditional clothing?

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

They didn't also travel back in time tough, if I saw somebody with traditional Mexican attire from the turn of the 19th century just walking down the street I would assume they're either on their way to a historical theater play or idiots.

-------

Current Rig

-------

its a yukata. basically its standard attire for lounging around in a ryokan or onsen lounge.

they talked about bathing with other naked dudes so I'm assuming its the onsen hotspring resort that they're hanging out at.

They were given the clothes by the hotel they were at. 

So, when in japan, and capable of it, why not? :D

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

...Why is it ridiculous to wear traditional clothing?

I don't know, I just find it so. In your defense though I also find cosplay ridiculous and stupid, even within a convention (which has become more important than actually acquiring and discussing the media cosplayers celebrate which is why I don't assist anymore: The one thing I was unable to find on the last convention I attended that celebrated anime, was fucking anime videos and dvds) 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes I am very bored, No this is not supposed to be serious criticism.

What's with the traditional Japanese clothing? This is the second trip I see them use ridiculous clothing, is this a popular thing tourists do? I am all for exploring other cultures, I just don't get the "cosplay" aspect of it, forcing yourself to drop your food with chop sticks is already kinda ridiculous, but sitting on the floor dressed like a samurai? 

Discuss (and by discuss, I mean fail to read the first and now second disclaimer about how this is just kidding around and call me an idiot)

I would love to go to Japan and dress like a ninja.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

its a yukata. basically its standard attire for lounging around in a ryokan or onsen lounge.

they talked about bathing with other naked dudes so I'm assuming its the onsen hotspring resort that they're hanging out at.

Really? How come I've never seen anybody dressed as stupidly on the many pictures I've seen of people walking around in Japan? I mean if they're not afraid to dress like this:

gangurogirlphone.jpg?width=500

I would assume the Samurai look would be a lot more common. Then again take this as the ignorant speech of a bored, anxious man with mobility issues.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't know, I just find it so. In your defense though I also find cosplay ridiculous and stupid, even within a convention (which has become more important than actually acquiring and discussing the media cosplayers celebrate which is why I don't assist anymore: The one thing I was unable to find on the last convention I attended that celebrated anime, was fucking anime videos and dvds) 

so if you use a hotel's sauna and jacuzzi you would go straight back to the sweaty dirty streetclothes you had on prior or would you walk around wearing the bathrobes that the hotel supplied?

think of what they are wearing as bathrobes and it will hurt your brain less

Really? How come I've never seen anybody dressed as stupidly on the many pictures I've seen of people walking around in Japan? I mean if they're not afraid to dress like this:

I would assume the Samurai look would be a lot more common. Then again take this as the ignorant speech of a bored, anxious man with mobility issues.

LinusOrangeTips

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

so if you use a hotel's sauna and jacuzzi you would go straight back to the sweaty dirty streetclothes you had on prior or would you walk around wearing the bathrobes that the hotel supplied?

think of what they are wearing as bathrobes and it will hurt your brain less

You would use one of this:

74035_1000x1000.jpg

Or better yet dress back up to your street clothes. I would advise against wearing them to a jacuzzi or sauna without getting out of them first into said robe however so I don't know why they would be dirty or sweaty.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If they are anything like the kendo uniforms then i guess they wore it because they are comfortable as all hell^^ 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

wearing around a yukata is quite common for going to summer festivals in. there are also times of year that you dress your children up ie boys day and girls day.

when girls reach hatachi age 20 they dress up and take pics and there is a bit of a celebration usually with other friends when they reach that age.

real formal events its common for women to either put on an expensive dress or a kimono.

basically it comes down to its so commonplace that people don't make a big deal out of it. the pics that are taken are for private commemorative moments rather than throwing around all over the net.

If they are anything like the kendo uniforms then i guess they wore it because they are comfortable as all hell^^

First answer I actually find legit: they do look confy. Though the equivalent would be for Linus and co. to just dress like the dude for all future videos

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's like with everyone who visites NYC buys ''I love NYC/NY'' hats or shirts or a New York Yankees hat, but doesn't know the first thing about NYC. (I come from NYC btw)

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

wearing around a yukata is quite common for going to summer festivals in. there are also times of year that you dress your children up ie boys day and girls day.

when girls reach hatachi age 20 they dress up and take pics and there is a bit of a celebration usually with other friends when they reach that age.

real formal events its common for women to either put on an expensive dress or a kimono.

basically it comes down to its so commonplace that people don't make a big deal out of it. the pics that are taken are for private commemorative moments rather than throwing around all over the net.

Ok so it makes sense....for the Japanese, not tourists.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's like with everyone who visites NYC buys ''I love NYC/NY'' hats or shirts or a New York Yankees hat, but doesn't know the first thing about NYC. (I come from NYC btw)

No actually the equivalent would be to people to dress like 1930s gangsters and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

xD plz don't say that here

Where?

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

First answer I actually find legit: they do look confy. Though the equivalent would be for Linus and co. to just dress like the dude for all future videos

I'd be ok with this.

But i suppose the main reason for it is that the hotel supplied the Yukatas with the room. And the lmg staff just went "Eh (Because canadians) Why not"

They are basically just fancy bathrobes anyway. But more socially acceptable in public.

If i was in mexico i'd buy a sombrero to keep the sun out of my eyes since they've got that wide rim. And would technically work better than a simple cap.

And i would be drunk.. Very drunk

Also.

Currently imagining linus going "Well this new cpu from intel is clocked at.. You know what..."

the-dude.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Ok so it makes sense....for the Japanese, not tourists.

ok so you get that its commonplace now.

now lets dig into the Ryokan/Onsen experience

a hotel with a great restaurant attached to a hotspring. I'm assuming its what their insta pics are from for that is standard for what a company would entertain guests at

... you know what just google youtube onsen or ryokan instead of me typing it.

I'd be ok with this.

But i suppose the main reason for it is that the hotel supplied the Yukatas with the room. And the lmg staff just went "Eh (Because canadians) Why not"

They are basically just fancy bathrobes anyway. But more socially acceptable in public.

If i was in mexico i'd buy a sombrero to keep the sun out of my eyes since they've got that wide rim. And would technically work better than a simple cap.

And i would be drunk.. Very drunk

You'd be almost the only person in the entire city wearing a hat.

-------

Current Rig

-------