What should I learn C++/C or Java

Hello guys i am thinking on taking lessons of programming but i don't what should i choose either C++/C or java or any other thing you guys recommend, in the past i have used Visual Basic, some program that according to my professor is similar to java called Karel and that is pretty much it about my programming experience.

The people I've known and also what I've used to start programming at university was C++, but too be honest, it doesn't matter that much what you learn, because once you pick up one language it's damned easy to translate what you learn from that to other languages.

Java on the other hand is not what I'd say, a traditional language, and many people say that learning java first is a bad move, and teaches you bad coding etiquette. I would take a teaser course online in both, and decide which one you like more.

#!

C++ bro. So much fun.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

The people I've known and also what I've used to start programming at university was C++, but too be honest, it doesn't matter that much what you learn, because once you pick up one language it's damned easy to translate what you learn from that to other languages.

Java on the other hand is not what I'd say, a traditional language, and many people say that learning java first is a bad move, and teaches you bad coding etiquette. I would take a teaser course online in both, and decide which one you like more.

Thanks m8 i'll try the online teasers then even though i am leaning more to C++.

C++ bro. So much fun.

thanks another reason to choose C++

C++ all the way! :D

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

C++, it has some high level features while still maintaining low level control.

Alot of things is based on C++, like Linux OSs and nearly all, if not every single game.

Alot of things is based on C++, like Linux OSs and nearly all, if not every single game.

OS's are actually mostly C. Just because the C compilers are a bit more efficient (C++ compilers are catching up quickly though)

Personally, I used C++ to learn how to program. As Lijmer stated, lots of control and high level features. However, with that control comes more complexity, which can be good and bad for a new learner. The good: You will gain a better understanding of how things work, and develop good programming habits. The bad: Depending on your learning style, you may get overwhelmed, and potentially discouraged.

After I taught myself C++, I ended up getting into a Software Development Masters degree. Here I was introduced to many different languages (python, javascript, java, SQL, PHP, etc). However, a lot of our bigger projects were developed in Java. I also hated using Java when I started. Although, over time I learned to like it. It is a simpler language (Automatic garbage collection, no pointers, etc) than C++, and has less control. But Java has other benefits as well, such as it is conducive to rapid development and it is highly portable. Though, I would still say C/C++ are my favorites.

My advice: If you lose momentum in your learning and get discouraged easily when you run into complex problems that you may not be able to figure out quickly, or you learn better when you see results faster, I would advise you to learn a higher level language like Java first, or perhaps a scripting language like Python. Otherwise, pick any one, dive in and get dirty (my favorite approach)!

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |

I'm doing java and I really dislike it. C++ all the way.

C++ all the way! :D

C++, it has some high level features while still maintaining low level control.

OS's are actually mostly C. Just because the C compilers are a bit more efficient (C++ compilers are catching up quickly though)

Personally, I used C++ to learn how to program. As Lijmer stated, lots of control and high level features. However, with that control comes more complexity, which can be good and bad for a new learner. The good: You will gain a better understanding of how things work, and develop good programming habits. The bad: Depending on your learning style, you may get overwhelmed, and potentially discouraged.

After I taught myself C++, I ended up getting into a Software Development Masters degree. Here I was introduced to many different languages (python, javascript, java, SQL, PHP, etc). However, a lot of our bigger projects were developed in Java. I also hated using Java when I started. Although, over time I learned to like it. It is a simpler language (Automatic garbage collection, no pointers, etc) than C++, and has less control. But Java has other benefits as well, such as it is conducive to rapid development and it is highly portable. Though, I would still say C/C++ are my favorites.

My advice: If you lose momentum in your learning and get discouraged easily when you run into complex problems that you may not be able to figure out quickly, or you learn better when you see results faster, I would advise you to learn a higher level language like Java first, or perhaps a scripting language like Python. Otherwise, pick any one, dive in and get dirty (my favorite approach)!

Thanks a lot guys for your support and fast answering, for what i can see C/C++ is a good way to start and then i should learn something like Java; now that i know this what do you guys recommend me to learn C or C++ or maybe what are the differences between them.

So is it a waist of time to learn Java ? That is what I am trying to learn, Beside PHP.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

It terms of Industry use, Java is the most popular programming language, However usually university's teach C++ before any other high level language.

I had started to learn C++ so I guess I can hop back onto the wagon, Then go to Java, I noticed similarities between languages already so it is easier to go with that. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Thanks a lot guys for your support and fast answering, for what i can see C/C++ is a good way to start and then i should learn something like Java; now that i know this what do you guys recommend me to learn C or C++ or maybe what are the differences between them.

The main difference between the two is that C is a procedural language, whereas C++ is an object oriented language. These two terms may be foreign to you now, but you will understand them as you develop your skills (or you can google them). The syntax between them are very similar.

So is it a waist of time to learn Java ? That is what I am trying to learn, Beside PHP.

I would not say it is waste of time at all! Like Cypher said, it is a very popular language, and as I mentioned before, it has its merits. The company I am currently working for utilizes it quite a bit. 

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |

I would not say it is waste of time at all! Like Cypher said, it is a very popular language, and as I mentioned before, it has its merits. The company I am currently working for utilizes it quite a bit. 

I guess it would be worth learning if I actually worked for a company that used it I could actually do make money off of this time consuming task

C++ is always an important one to learn, but Java is great if you need to be a little more productive. I think we'll see a big shift in Java's popularity soon though, given that the JVM is flawed and constantly introducing security risks. C++ has already stood the test of time for a fair while, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Not the Java will, but I think sooner than C++.

I learned java first. I wouldn't focus on the language you are learning too much. The most important thing is the universal concepts that you will learn.

I started with Java, I am following TheNewBoston great tutorials, I was also told to use Codingbat by a friend any other good sites ?

It doesn't really matter what language you learn first; as you just need to nail the concepts of programming. That being said C++ is a much harder language to learn than VB or Java,  mainly because of automatic memory management, and reduction of error-prone features of C++ such as multiple inheritance, pointers, operator overloading, etc. so it make take a while to understand the core concepts; but if you think you're up to the challenge then go for it!

I guess you should ultimately consider what you want to program. Java is very used in the 'industry' it is used a lot for professional business applications. C++ is the best choice for 3D games and is considered 'faster'. - so it really depends on what route you want to take.

Ultimately though; learning one language will make it immensely easier to understand another - so it doesn't really matter.

Good luck and have fun.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

When I was at school I learned java... Than went along... And I agree... DONT START WITH JAVA!

C# is also a good one to choose.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

C# is also a good one to choose.

I'm starting to notice this as a recommendation over people looking at Java, and I think I would probably agree that C# is really picking up speed and seems to provide far more security than Java's VM. I'd just be cautious with developing in linux as their OpenSource C# implementations are still a bit lacking I believe.

I'm starting to notice this as a recommendation over people looking at Java, and I think I would probably agree that C# is really picking up speed and seems to provide far more security than Java's VM. I'd just be cautious with developing in linux as their OpenSource C# implementations are still a bit lacking I believe.

A few weeks ago I had never touched C# (or really any .Net languages) but I got different job by where I had to learn it. I must say that I love it. It is a nicer to use language than Java and it seems to have increased my development time. The only issue I may run into though is its lack of portability.