Paranoia Gone Wrong: Intel, Nvidia, and Others Barred From Selling to China

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/10/us_intel_china_ban/

It seems the U.S. government doesn't like China becoming too powerful in the supercomputing space, and has placed a full-scale embargo against Chinese firms for all E5 and up Xeon and Xeon Phi post-Ivy Bridge.

Nvidia cannot sell flagship Teslas either to Chinese clients. AMD is barred from selling its FirePro flagships, though currently its Opterons are not included in the embargo (well that's pride-bruising). IBM also cannot sell its Power 8 & 9 chips directly, though due to the OpenPower Alliance this could become a moot point if it works in tandem with Huawei to produce them outside the U.S..

This is far from an exhaustive list too. HP is banned from selling optoelectronic chips as well.

This is so pointless too. It's not hard to make shell companies in the U.S. to buy and then ship them overseas. Honestly what is the point in trying to snub China this way? Intel's and Nvidia's stock also took a hit over the news.

China has been hesitant to use U.S. products because they could have back doors it doesn't know about, which is why the U.S. government doesn't use Huawei products either and why Russia is investing in its own government-controlled ARM architecture. Still, this is the wrong response to such worries.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Such nonsense. I guess chine will have to make do with Opterons then? Could be good for AMD I guess.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What...

This is just bullshit, every country should have a right to become the most powerful in a field.

thats what people thought before the nuclear bomb was invented

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

wow, jsut WOAW.

really US? you really that paranoid? damnnn...... better not talk about that super secret dutch thing with Nv and intel teaming up :P:ph34r: it doesnt exist :ph34r:

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The thing with Opterons not being banned made me laugh.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

What...

This is just bullshit, every country should have a right to become the most powerful in a field.

The major issue is china regularly hacks into other countries military infrastructure and steals publicly withheld information all the time. Worse even than the US, it's become a very big problem, but no one in the media seems too concerned to cover it. 

My father and aunt who both work respectively high in the military regularly reassure that.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Wow, this sucks. I hope this doesn't become a vicious cycle across the world. Basically cutting each other off because we can't trust each other. Then what? We can't trust each other in our own country and so forth? Sucks major balls man.

And even if there was truth or not about the matter, or the unknown seriousness of the situation. Still sucks balls.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

You misspelled 'MURICA!'

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You misspelled 'MURICA!'

Ohhhh shit 'MURICA would have made it about a million times better :/

Edit: Fixed >: )

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Lol@ opteron being allowed.

it actually might help amd a lot.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Heh, even the US government who are totally tech illiterate know AMD cpus are a joke right now

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Absolute horsecack, what asshole decided that only 'MURICA should be allowed access to technology? They're like the bully in the playground who wants all the toys and gets pissy whenever anyone else wants to use it.

We cannot advance as a species if only one country can use the technology we have available to us. Is the reason they're blocking exports to Chine because it's truly about nuclear technology? Or is it more about pride? i.e The American governement doesn't want China to have the most powerful supercomputers that are using American components, because it'd hurt 'MURICAN pride and are using Nuclear technology as an excuse.

And even if it is about Nuclear tech, there's a million and one reasons for researching it, and the main one is generating electricity, which China desperately needs a cleaner variant of, and if that is what they're after, why shouldn't they be able to research it?

Maybe I'm too naive and I can't see the nukes for energy, but this to me is a steaming great cowpat.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Welcome to world politics LTT.  Where there is no safe level of concern. It is either an issue that must be acted on or it isn't.  

Before over reacting and laying all the blame at US soil (said reluctantly) there is an awful lot going on between the two nations right now and tech is at the heart who will have the edge should things turn nasty. 

Essentially if you don't think China would do the same if the tables were turned you're a fool.  Although in my opinion they probably have the tech to make their own xeon copies anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My country's government = Complete and utter flaming shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

giphy.gif

China has a ton of backdoor's but nsa is an idiot since they could have did the same with nvidia's/ibm's/intels architecture also companies should be allowed to sell but later during a war they should gimp it in such a way that china will collapse to its knee's and surrender.

let AMD sell his stuff, that way AMD can compete with intel and nvidia :P

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P