Gaming on a projector?

getrekt

It can be but I've done it and the visuals tend to be meh in comparison to monitor and many projectors have a bit of an input lag.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Can this be done? If so please can anybody recommend a projector?

Budget - 500$ max

It.. It will not be very pleasant I think.

The response time is fairly high and that makes the input lag also high. Most projectors also have VGA only, which.. Is not a huge deal but to keep in mind.

But I know BENQ made a decent one, I think a bit for gaming too

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It can be but I've done it and the visuals tend to be meh in comparison to monitor and many projectors have a bit of an input lag.

Any recommendations?

It.. It will not be very pleasant I think.

The response time is fairly high and that makes the input lag also high. Most projectors also have VGA only, which.. Is not a huge deal but to keep in mind.

But I know BENQ made a decent one, I think a bit for gaming too

Many have hdmi input

Resolution is not too important but if it had around 8ms response time and 60hz refresh rate then I'm good!

Any recommendations?

Can't remember what my friend used but he only used it when we had a large grouping.

Many have hdmi input

Resolution is not too important but if it had around 8ms response time and 60hz refresh rate then I'm good!

I doubt you could get 8ms

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Can't remember what my friend used but he only used it when we had a large grouping.

I doubt you could get 8ms

Okay then plan cancel!

Good projectors that will get you a very sharp and bright image (not to mention be on the quieter side but still audible) cost a lot of money.

You are looking at LED projectors, and 1080p are really expensive. They are around 10,000$-15,000$.

For 4K full laser projectors (60,000 hour), you are looking at an affordable 100,000$ - 150,000$ U.S.

That is if you want the good monitor-like experience.

Normal projector are obviously much cheaper but they are loud, the lamp degrade in brightness rapidly, and needs to be replaced often (once a year possibility. All depending how much you game on it), and the image wont' be great. DLP would not be sharp, LCD based you'll see the grid.

I guess I'll just settle with a big monitor then!

Thanks for the explanation!

@GoodBytes

I agree to all of the above.

But, if you still want to go the 1080p projector route, you can have a look at:

Optoma GT1080

Benq W1070; W1080st; 

They're all around the $1000 mark, and have decent input lag when compared to most other projectors at this price point.

They're DLP, not laser. I don't think you could get laser at a reasonable price point.

Yes

Benq W750

Its a 720p60  3D projector, which you can FORCE with nvidia or amd drivers to run @ 720p120

1080p120 capable projectors exist, but there are just a few of them (mostly they say they are 3D, but arent capable of 1080p120) and they are expensive

Also, LCD response times are around 10ms. The 1ms gtg advertisement is worthless (its a heavily overdriven measurement of the fastest color shift = grey 2 grey).

If you want good response times you want either:

CRT = 0ms response time for ALL color shifts

DLP projector = 1ms response time for ALL color shifts

OLED = 0.01ms response time for ALL color shifts

If the low resolution doesnt bother you gaming on the DLP projector is the best way to enjoy motion today. As big CRT is very hard to find and are expensive if you do find them. And OLED is still far too expensive.

• 2 years later...

Most recommended projectors from my side are Optoma and BenQ. Go for a model that you can afford easily. But, still there are a lot more options. See this list of best projectors, you might find a good one from it. https://listfolks.com/best-gaming-projector/