Using programming to make everyday life easier

RLemon

I was wondering what you guys have done with programming/scripting to make your everyday life easier?

For example, I always forget to turn my computer off before I go to bed, so I set up a php script that will shut it down. Now I just browse to /shutdown/ from my phone and I no longer have to get out of bed to turn it off.

How about simply setting your computer to go to sleep after x amount of time idle.

Anyway, to answer your question, I made a software to control my GPU performance based on what I run for both my laptop and desktop. The reason why i did this, is that on my laptop, and like many other people laptop GPU, the power saving feature can be too agressive, where it kicks in while you game because the area is not demanding enough, or you went to a menu or something.. resulting in a non smooth experience. Also, sometimes, for some odd reason, the simple fact of moving a window, will make the GPU think you starting a game and go at full power. This is where my software comes into hand, where it controls all that. It also allows me to change Windows Power Plan based on if I am plugged in or not, automatically. And even have for certain games, to overclock my GPU. A feature I found most useful on my desktop, where I don't want my GPU overclock all the time, that's just silly, especially when I web surf or browse through files and folders. Another advantage of my software, is that, now that I locking my desktop GPU at minimum as well, I get to enjoy a quieter computer when not playing a game.

http://www.nvgpupro.com

I am also planning to add later on, or at least see if that's possible, that when I wake up the computer, to reload my keyboard repeat rate setting to finally solve this program that plague many people as well as me. As it affects only some laptop, I am pointing the fault to some OEM driver.

How about simply setting your computer to go to sleep after x amount of time idle.

Anyway, to answer your question, I made a software to control my GPU performance based on what I run for both my laptop and desktop. The reason why i did this, is that on my laptop, and like many other people laptop GPU, the power saving feature can be too agressive, where it kicks in while you game because the area is not demanding enough, or you went to a menu or something.. resulting in a non smooth experience. Also, sometimes, for some odd reason, the simple fact of moving a window, will make the GPU think you starting a game and go at full power. This is where my software comes into hand, where it controls all that. It also allows me to change Windows Power Plan based on if I am plugged in or not, automatically. And even have for certain games, to overclock my GPU. A feature I found most useful on my desktop, where I don't want my GPU overclock all the time, that's just silly, especially when I web surf or browse through files and folders. Another advantage of my software, is that, now that I locking my desktop GPU at minimum as well, I get to enjoy a quieter computer when not playing a game.

I am also planning to add later on, or at least see if that's possible, that when I wake up the computer, to reload my keyboard repeat rate setting to finally solve this program that plague many people as well as me. As it affects only some laptop, I am pointing the fault to some OEM driver.

I like having my computer ready for me as soon as I want to use it, so I leave it on all day, the only reason I don't leave it on overnight is because it keeps me awake. I like the look of your software though :)

Thanks! :D

Took me a year an half to develop for the initial version. Right now its designed for Nvidia GPU's, although if you use another OC software, you can tie it in easily with my software, so you can support AMD cards. The only thing that won't work is the GPU overheating protection system that my program supports. I want to support AMD card natively, but due to lack of funds, I can't buy AMD cards to develop and test my software. But, it is planned.

I have written some batch scripts to move a couple of libraries I update about daily around to various directories.

There is also a program I'm working on that is going to be my personal everything-program. It will have a music player, photo viewer, video player and server functionality.

I call it 'Cyclone', and it's been rewritten - what, 3-4 times now? The drive it runs on is called 'Cyclone' as well, and I have another drive called "Snow". My computer name is Rain. How awesome is that?

I have written some batch scripts to move a couple of libraries I update about daily around to various directories.

There is also a program I'm working on that is going to be my personal everything-program. It will have a music player, photo viewer, video player and server functionality.

I call it 'Cyclone', and it's been rewritten - what, 3-4 times now? The drive it runs on is called 'Cyclone' as well, and I have another drive called "Snow". My computer name is Rain. How awesome is that?

Pretty cool. I rewrite my stuff so often I might even call it a hobby :P

Pretty cool. I rewrite my stuff so often I might even call it a hobby :P

Haha. I know, right! :D

The program i am using the most, would be the program I call GhostWriter. It's a auto typer, with partly or minimal support for macros. It's ideal to use when i have to log in to internet at school all the time, and firefox and all other browser refuses to remeber password and username. It's written in C# and currently only supports Windows.

I use batch files fairly often to do usefull things.

Probably the most common batch file i use is a file that opens world of warcraft and also clears the cache of a addon.