Samsung 840 non-pro 250gb

phillychuck

My first SSD was the Intel X25-M 120GB, bought it mainly because of name, preferred the in house controller since at the time there were some real dogs out there.

My main reason for looking at this 840 is price, looks like you can get the final price around $150. My only concern is this new memory type, I've written less than 7TB to my Intel in 2 years, it states its still at 99 life. I never had it completely filled, had at least 30gb free since I bought it.

Do you think its a safe investment? It may not be as fast as the pro, but its numbers I believe will smoke my current drive. I just don't want to be the lab rat for the TLC memory type.

The 840 is a good ssd (I have one for a few months now also have an M4 and the Intel 520 series and I never a problem with any of them) and it will last a long time i wouldn't worry about that.

side note:- you can get the "destroyed" cells back working by heating them to around 180 Celsius for around a day or if you can 800 Celsius for a second :-)

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

DO NOT BUY THE 840 its a terrible SSD Samsung is just using the hype from the 830 series to trick ppl into buying it. If you look at the specs the 250 GB can only write up to 250 MB/s. Sure the reads are pretty fast but so is the HyperX 3K or the Adata SX900. I would suggest going with anything else than the OCZ Vertex 3, and the Samsung 840sv(non-pro). The 840 Pro is really good but you pay a ridiculous premium for them. Just go with the 830 or the HyperX 3K or something.

At the $150 price point I can deal with a slower write speed, my concern is reliability. I know Samsung designs the controller and manufactures the flash. Other companies such as your recommended just use off the shelf parts, or are branding some OEM. If price gets too crazy, I can step down to a 128gb, then it seems I have the pick of anything I want from $100-120.