Going to a LAN. Need new drives

ERSCreeper

So I need new drives for a LAN due to my 320Gb (Boot) dying slowly and my 80Gb (Storage) being to small... So I was thinking OCZ Vector 128Gb and a Western Digital Green 2Tb. Also my motherboard only has Sata 2, I know its backward compatible but doesn't Sata 2 degrade the Sata interface on sata 3 devices?

Thank in advance :P

\

They do not degrade, just run slower. And shouldn't the boot drive be smaller and the storage bigger ? :) And don't buy green drives they are slow and don't offer much power saving, get blacks instead.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Blacks are a bit to pricey where I live :P I can get Reds a tiny bit more than greens

\

Greens are good for storage, as they draw much less power at idle. Just don't expect to do a lot with it other than read and write data (no applications). I have two in my system and they are good drives.

If you intend to install games and such on your storage drive then you should get a WD black. If you don't need crazy amounts of storage then you might also want to look into a WD Raptor drive, as they will give you excellent performance (they are very noisy though)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Well, Black drives are $55 more than Green are here. I want to copy my steam off my external so I was thinking Red drives would be best?

Edit: Steam is about 600Gb now :P

\

Red drives are designed for NAS, so you will need a controller as well, or your motherboard will need to support RAID. Blacks are really the best solution for games. You could also look into Seagate barracuda which will be better than Green, and not at the price point of blacks

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I don't really want to go with Seagate. I know they are as good as Western Digital but I just feel like it time to switch off Seagate drives and go WD. I think I will go Green Drives and later put them in my media pc and buy Black or Red when I get my new rig. Thanks for the help guys :D

Edit: I can get 1Tb Black for the same as 2Tb Green. But I think 1Tb will be to small as steam alone takes 600Gb ,BF3 30Gb and Wow 80Gb (Three versions)

\

Let me break this down for you:

• Green drives: perfect for storage, but due to the lower spindle speed, they are not very well at random read/writes (e.g. opening programs, running an OS). I use them myself for storage and love the fact that they run at 30 degrees celsius without any active cooling.
  • Black drives: perfect for your OS, capable of performing good for random reads and writes. Bit overpriced if you're not running your OS on them.
  • Blue drives: balance between Green and Black. I've used them in systems where there was an SSD as boot drive, but the client wanted more storage and application space. Perform perfectly fine as a drive to store your programs on, however running an OS of of them won't be ideal.
  • Red drives: designed with RAID configurations in mind. Have a different set of firmware which makes them not quite suitable for stand-alone use (although, technically, you can).

I'd go with an SSD and a WDC Blue if I were you!

Sadly I can't get Blue drives larger than 1Tb and are priced at the same point as Black 1Tb. I think I will go Green 2Tb and buy a Black later for game and use green as storage. And about the SSD. Was thinking either Vertex 4 or Vector? (Can't get Samsung SSD's in my country...) Vertex is about $40 cheaper and since I'm running Sata 2 I will be bottlenecked by that. Which would be better when I get Sata 3? Thanks again everyone :D

\

Go with Vector, hands down. It's a much higher quality drive that's been tested more rigorously, and was designed entirely in-house by OCZ. It's got a 5-year warranty to boot, and will max out your sata 2 and sata 3 lines. Spend the extra 40 bucks

I thought about it all and then I flipped my table and choose to go buy a new motherboard and CPU. Will buy SSD, HDD and case after my next two paychecks :P

\