GTX 670 SLI 2GB OR 4GB ???

CharithX3M

This is my first time on the forum.

I'm going to build my own pc. I've choose i7 3930k and for gpu two GTX670 SLI. I want to be future proof so here are my questions.

1. What GTX 670 is good to run sli? (temps,cooling,fan noise) Asus DCii GTX 670 vs EVGA GTX 670 FTW ?

2. I heard that crysis 3 beta got 1.7GB of VRAM so is it worth to buy 4GB VRAM GPU'S ?

3. Is two 256bit cards in sli make 512bit ?

4. If I buy 2GB cards will it be future proof ? for next gen or maybe unreal engine 4 ?

​5. or should I wait few months for Nvidia 700 series ? (sorry I'm nvidia fanboy )

First off neither, if you don't already have one of the cards just buy ONE better card, the new 680 is coming out soon and it supposed to be a BEAST.

1. SLI and Crossfire is extremely unreliable and you will have more compatibility with one card.

2. Anything more than 2 GB or VRAM is only needed on setups higher than 1080p

3. No they still have the same bandwidth, SLI only increases performance by combining the two GPUs, they still have the same VRAM and bandwidth.

4. VRAM has no effect on game engines. 4 GB if you plan on going higher than 1080p in the future.

5. I would wait for the new 680 and buy that. (Only guaranteed (mostly) high end card to come out soon that has some kind of performance numbers out). If you want to wait for the 700 series is up to you. Depends on how much you have now and how long you're willing to wait.

1: depends on your case airflow and motherboard layout. if great airflow then 2 custom coolers are ok, if not then 2 blowers (like evga ftw 670) are better.

2: no, 2 670s do not have the gpu power to utilize 4gbs of vram outside of insane texture modding in skyrim etc.

3:no

4:future proofing graphics cards does not exist

5:I have no idea.

4gb is not worth it unless you are getting 3 670s. Only go for 4gb cards if you can get them cheap (as in, not too much more than 2gb cards).

Thanks for helping :D

Is asus p9x79 pro is good for overclocking ? or gigabyte x79-UP4 ?

I'm not going for ROG Rampage Extreme. I going with black and blue color scheme

Both are good board, it would depend on your draw of the silicon lottery.