Audio-Technica ATH-M50X for Gaming

Hey Guys,

I am looking to move away from headsets for gaming to specifically headphones and separate microphone as I have a blue Microphone.

I have heard the headphones mentioned in the title are great but I was wondering if anyone has used them for gaming and also if they have used them with an Astro Mixamp or equivalent?

I have had the mixamp for a long time and no matter what headset I have used it has given good sound, so I can only imagine the sound on headphones will be great!

Any help would be appreciated.

Kyle

Hey Guys,

I am looking to move away from headsets for gaming to specifically headphones and separate microphone as I have a blue Microphone.

I have heard the headphones mentioned in the title are great but I was wondering if anyone has used them for gaming and also if they have used them with an Astro Mixamp or equivalent?

I have had the mixamp for a long time and no matter what headset I have used it has given good sound, so I can only imagine the sound on headphones will be great!

Any help would be appreciated.

Kyle

I just sold my ATH-M50 they were REALLY great sound quality but not ideal for gaming as they are designed not to be worn for a long time, I'd suggest the HyperX Cloud ll heard really good reviews about them, ALL. JayzTwoCentz did a review on them aswell, they are pretty good prices the Cloud l and ll not that many differences so you could save a good $50 and get that and buy something else. 

Also, the top of your head starts hurting after about 30 mins to 1 hour of use.. and they are quite heavy.

No. What kind of budget?

I am looking sort of max price to be £130, whatever that is in other curriencies.

I have heard good things about the Cloud II, I had considered them also as I have found them for about £75 which is really good!

As I say mic not needed as I have one just need headphones I can use with my mixamp to generate 7.1 surround

If you can use open headphone I'll say get the audio technica ath ad500/700 now a huge difference but if you wanna spend a bit more...

Closed I like the Shure srh440 and you can get the 840 pads and put on them for better comfort.

Also for the 440 you can try the 1540 pads for the most comfort but I'm not sure they'll fit.

I have the ATH-M50's (Non-X edition). I love them to bits. The sound quality if great, the build quality is great and, despite what some have said, I find them very comfortable, even for long periods (Subjective). I used to use the Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset but moved to the M50's and now use the 1500s as a microphone.

Also, I personally struggle to see how they aren't good for gaming. They deliver accurate, crisp sound.

May you have many mahogany doors. | http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/GsxYcf

A) the m50s are not bad in general they have a good sound it just that bEtween the m40x and the dt770 or used options they don't feet for price to performance.

B) they have near to no soundstage Which is needed for comptitive gaming while even other closed headphones got more soundstage.

I just sold my ATH-M50 they were REALLY great sound quality but not ideal for gaming as they are designed not to be worn for a long time, I'd suggest the HyperX Cloud ll heard really good reviews about them, ALL. JayzTwoCentz did a review on them aswell, they are pretty good prices the Cloud l and ll not that many differences so you could save a good $50 and get that and buy something else. 

Also, the top of your head starts hurting after about 30 mins to 1 hour of use.. and they are quite heavy.

The ATH-M50X has 2 big differences from the original, non-X, version.

1 - Swappable cables

2 - Waaaay more comfortable. Both in terms of the breathability of the cups and the pressure exerted on your head.

The ATH-M50X has 2 big differences from the original, non-X, version.

1 - Swappable cables

2 - Waaaay more comfortable. Both in terms of the breathability of the cups and the pressure exerted on your head.

It still wont beat K7xx / K612 / K712 in terms of comfort, right @Lays :P

Right simply for price range I like both the K612 & the DT770?

Opinions on best? They will mainly be used for playing games like CS:GO and other FPS games again mainly for footsteps.

If you get the AT-m50x be ready to get new earpads.

The earpads on the m(XX)x series are the worst I've ever come across.

There is very little padding and the padding that is there is rock hard.

I can't stand the normal ones for more than 45min.

Also, if you have larger than average ears they will pretty much be on ear headphones as the holes for your ears aren't very large.

It is not an issue for me but my friend tried them on and mentioned this and I've also see such sentiments on customer reviews.

I bought some aftermarket memory foam earpads and they are fantastic.

I can wear the headphones for hours on end.

Your idea is good to move away from headsets to headphones but for gaming, i would buy open headphones for sure! Audiotechica makes really good ones! 
Like this! :D 

Many consider these to be the best gaming headphones. ^^

Used my M50 for years for competitive gaming until I finally got to designate the guest room as my "office" ;)  Now I use AKG open backed cans (K7XX, just sold my K712).  Plenty comfy even on my rather large head, for many hours non-stop.  Replacement ear pads are cheap and come in a variety of options.  My wife now uses them with chocolate brown velour ones I got her off of massdrop.  Easy to drive, excellent sound quality, never found the "sound stage" lacking especially for closed back cans, built like they were meant to last forever.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

i personally am not a fan of the m50x. I think it's the closed design + i find them uncomfortable. I would say go for an open headphone.

Will sound leakage be a problem for you?

i personally am not a fan of the m50x. I think it's the closed design + i find them uncomfortable. I would say go for an open headphone.

Will sound leakage be a problem for you?

I dont understand why people still buy M50x, when there's something called DT990 and DT770

I dont understand why people still buy M50x, when there's something called DT990 and DT770

You can't stop the hypetrain at full speed.

Because this forham is an echo chamber.

I don't know why Beyer can't make a headphone at that price with a detachable cable.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

I don't know why Beyer can't make a headphone at that price with a detachable cable.

Because they don't care.

You can't stop the hypetrain at full speed.

Beyer could just throw massive money for ad, put all the pictures of DT770 being used studio, radio and artists in recording session with title "Hear it the way it's intended to be"

Collect money, easy enough. Increase the price of DT770 to probably $350 and they still could get massive profit and as @Oktyabr said make the cable detachable.

It's ridiculously easy to manipulate people these days, put popular faces and ka-ching, gold in your pocket.

Beyer could just throw massive money for ad, put all the pictures of DT770 being used studio, radio and artists in recording session with title "Hear it the way it's intended to be"

Collect money, easy enough. Increase the price of DT770 to probably $350 and they still could get massive profit and as @Oktyabr said make the cable detachable.

It's ridiculously easy to manipulate people these days, put popular faces and ka-ching, gold in your pocket.

You basically described the Custom One Pro. Maybe not with the advertising campaign, but certainly it seems to be their attempt to market a more cool, "hip" headphone with a fun sound.

Like I said above, we have to conlude Beyerdynamic doesn't care. Compare them to Sennheiser and their recent ad of a man dressed up like a headphone massaging a giant ear.

Reason probably is they don't need to. I think they cater much more to the professional market than the general consumer.

Compare them to Sennheiser and their recent ad of a man dressed up like a headphone massaging a giant ear.

Oh my god I have to find this.

DT770 appeared once in 'pitch perfect', being wore by anna kendrick. That's about the only time I've seen it appear in commercial thing. 

DT770 appeared once in 'pitch perfect', being wore by anna kendrick. That's about the only time I've seen it appear in commercial thing.

Pretty sure beyer didnt spend a nickel for that headphone to be worn in the movie. The damn headphone probably exists in every single recording studio

Pretty sure beyer didnt spend a nickel for that headphone to be worn in the movie. The damn headphone probably exists in every single recording studio

Maybe.

Kendrick used 2 headphones in the movie. The other one was V7506 or V6 (forgot which color the label was)