UPDATED April 11th:Asus MG279Q ROG Dominator AMD FreeSync Cerified

UPDATE April 11th:

This was posted in a new thread, however it was locked so I'll add the new information to this thread as it is the most recent thread about the MG279Q monitor.

OC.co.uk added the MG279Q monitor to their store site for £499.99 pre-order with an ETA of May 4th.

From this posting we now have the official title for the monitor, the MG279Q ROG Dominator, and 

[spoiler=a Full Spec Sheet and New Image]

pRufTlT.png

-------------

If you recall CES earlier this year you'll remember that Asus teased a 120Hz, 2560x1440, IPS , adaptive sync complying monitor.

Better yet it would be somewhere around $599.

And when asked as to whether it would work with FreeSync they said yes and that it simply hadn't gone through the free FreeSync certification process.

Well apparently they forgot to type the word "YET" at the end of that sentence because it has now officially been FreeSync Certified, so you can expect to see a 

F0KwgJL.png

badge on the box when it's available for purchase.

AMDGaming Tweet

n4Vxvl5.png

Asus' PR image.

4B8aUnY.png

So is it 120hz or 144hz.....MAKE UP YOUR MIND OP

Strangely enough you'll see that in the PR image it says 144Hz, whereas at CES they told everyone 120hz.

So either it was another miscommunication between the hardware guys and the marketing team or they've changed the panel since CES.

Either way 24 extra Hz never hertz anyone.

----

Now the only question is what the VRR window will be.

Will it be 40Hz-144Hz, or will it maybe be lower than the 40Hz that we've seen so far on FreeSync monitors?

Depending on the VRR window and the price this monitor could be the most interesting FreeSync monitor yet.

It's also going to be interesting to see over the course of the next couple of months whether AMD will implement a frame doubling technique via the driver to mimic what Gsync does when the FPS gets too low.

Although If you're aiming for 144Hz in the first place you're very unlikely to drop all the way from 144fps to sub 40fps, so it's much less of a problem than when you're on a 60-75Hz monitor where  a drop past the 40-48fps mark is much more likely.

EDIT:

During CES Asus claimed the monitor had a 120Hz refresh rate, however I just noticed that on the image it says 144Hz.......my bad guys.

Edited to reflect the change to a 144Hz refresh rate on the panel.

Source: PCPER TR AMDGaming

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

What do i value more, a monitor, or all of my money?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

40-120, I assure it 

Is it just because you don't think the first round of Freesync monitors will have sub 40hz support?

Or do you have some other reasoning?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

40-120, I assure it 

*40-144hz. That is a massive 3 hz less than Gsync, which cannot go below 37hz in PCper's testing. LCD tech just won't go lower, safely.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

*40-144hz. That is a massive 3 hz less than Gsync, which cannot go below 37hz in PCper's testing. LCD tech just won't go lower, safely.

Except Gsync stays smooth, to an extent, even when you go below 30fps by inserting extra copies of frames while also multiplying the refresh rate by the amount of copies per actual frame that you insert.

When you go below 40hz on FreeSync however the stutter/judder effect is worse than on a monitor without FreeSync/Gsync.

So Gsync, theoretically, can go as low as you want.

whereas you never even want to touch anything below 40fps with a 2ft stick on FreeSync.

Linus Sebastian said:

Except Gsync stays smooth, to an extent, even when you go below 30fps by inserting extra copies of frames while also multiplying the refresh rate by the amount of copies per actual frame that you insert.

When you go below 40hz on FreeSync however the stutter/judder effect is worse than on a monitor without FreeSync/Gsync.

whereas you never even want to touch anything below 40fps with a 2ft stick on FreeSync.

Well the fps in gsync can go as low as possible, but not the hz. I do like NVidia's implementation, and hope freesync drivers, will implement something similar.

But when freesync goes to 40hz, it just activates VSync at 40hz, so it is a lot better than without free/gsync, that would force either tearing or 30fps/60hz vsync.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

WAT

Gsync doubles/triples/quadruples the drawing of each frame. SO it never goes below 37hz. When it reaches 37/36hz, it doubles to 74/72 hz, showing the same frame twice, and so on. It is a clever method, but the actual monitor will never go below 37 hz or so, as LCD crystals cannot hold the charge for more than 33ms or so. Forcing it will result in the crystals losing the charge and reverting to their standard state, which is off = black. This is why the Asus laptop with the alpha gsync driver, flickered black at about 30 fps/hz.

Gsync doubles/triples/quadruples the drawing of each frame. SO it never goes below 37hz. When it reaches 37/36hz, it doubles to 74/72 hz, showing the same frame twice, and so on. It is a clever method, but the actual monitor will never go below 37 hz or so, as LCD crystals cannot hold the charge for more than 33ms or so. Forcing it will result in the crystals losing the charge and reverting to their standard state, which is off = black. This is why the Asus laptop with the alpha gsync driver, flickered black at about 30 fps/hz.

Interesting...I wonder how it knows when to stop doubling frames and go back to normal. Like under normal usage the load will fluctuate, so one scene might need doubled frames due to explosions or similar. but what about going from explosions to say a cutscene. No need to double frames on a cutscene

Interesting...I wonder how it knows when to stop doubling frames and go back to normal. Like under normal usage the load will fluctuate, so one scene might need doubled frames due to explosions or similar. but what about going from explosions to say a cutscene. No need to double frames on a cutscene

The double/triple frames, are just using the monitor ram buffer inside the gsync monitor. It makes no difference on the actual graphics card. Neither would going from low to high fps or vice versa.

1440p IPS FreeSync. Assuming it actually uses freezing at or above 120hz this is likely my future monitor.

-------

Current Rig

-------

can we please get a 144hz freesync monitor that is 24"?!? why are all of em' 27"?

the only thing holding me back is that I don't have enough room for a 27" monitor...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

ASUS might have pushed it to 144Hz to more directly compete with the ACER Predator.

If that's the case then I'd love to see a G-Sync version of this duking it out against the ROG Swift and Predator. It would be interesting to see what happens with prices of the ROG Swift now.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Now we just need an Asus version of the Acer XR341CK, but with Freesync.  

Now we just need an Asus version of the Acer XR341CK, but with Freesync.  

So much yes! But also an Acer model with Adaptive Sync (which I believe the other version will be). Practically my dream monitor.

So much yes! But also an Acer model with Adaptive Sync (which I believe the other version will be). Practically my dream monitor.

Or a Dell version.  Factory-calibrated, thin-bezel, perfect stand, and beautiful.

Would having an IPS monitor flanked by two TNs be a good setup? I'd like to use this as the central monitor in an eyefinity setup and buy two other high refresh rate monitors of the same refresh rate and resolution, only that they'd be TN because they are cheaper.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

^ The side monitors would be more important to have good viewing angles because you'll be seeing them at an angle.

I'm interested in a panel like Acers 21:9 1440p ips gsync panel, but adaptive sync if I end up getting AMD cards this summer. Maybe I'll get two of these ASUS panels to flank it? :)

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

1440p IPS FreeSync. Assuming it actually uses freezing at or above 120hz this is likely my future monitor.

freezing?

Nvm, assuming you meant FreeSync.

Why wouldn't it use FreeSync at or above 120hz.

If the monitor is rated for 144hz, which according to the PR image it is, then the VRR window should be at worst 48-144Hz or at best ≤40-144Hz

Linus Sebastian said:

I hope the Window is 30-144hz at least. 40 as lowest is just not good enough, and too me it sort of destroys the point of a monitor with adaptive sync if it can't cope with common FPS drops. Specially on a 1440p monitor where most cards will struggle keeping the fps above 40 at all times

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Thing that bothers me in G-sync is that it haves forced V-sync. I don't want V-sync anywhere.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |