Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Victorious Secret

Apple wants you to avoid product launch lines

Posted · Original PosterOP

apple-store-fifth-avenue-timothy-clary-a

The company that basically invented the product launch madness is now working hard to get rid of them. 

Its amusing. The grand circle of life in which companies mocked Apple fans as sheep for standing in line (said companies who now pay people to attend events as "fans" no less) now ends with Apple coming up with a way to get rid of lines entirely for new product launches. 

I don't disagree. People are idiots. Malls and other complexes don't appreciate bums bumming days in advance just to scalp product. Apple probably gets tired of people shipping phones to other countries en masse just to avoid release dates and squander local stock. 

Apple no longer wants you to wait in long lines during product launches -- in fact, it would sometimes prefer that you stay at home. An Angela Ahrendts memo leaked to Business Insider shows that the company is going to steer you toward using either the Apple Store app or its online store to buy devices like the Apple Watch and 12-inch MacBook. There's "more availability" online, she says, and you'll know just when you'll get your goods instead of "crossing your fingers" while you sit in a queue.

Importantly, this isn't just idle talk. The memo source claims that, in the UK, you can't pick up your Apple Watch order in-store -- you'll have to wait for it to show up at home. While you'll still have the store pickup option in the US (and likely elsewhere), it's clear that Apple will be downplaying in-person sales for at least some of its hot ticket items.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/07/apple-wants-you-to-avoid-product-launch-lines/

Yes, please. There is nothing wrong with waiting a week or two in order to get the same product.

Try it on in the store to know what you are getting. And then either get it in the store, or order it online.

Nice! It's about time someone did something to stop the madness.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Well, duh, it's pretty obvious you should order online. I'm not camping outside the Apple Store for a whole fucking week just to get something.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Posted · Original PosterOP

I would rephrase the title to "Apple joins us in the 21st century by allowing customers to buy products on launch day, online"

You always have been able to, Apple is now basically forcing you to for new launches. 

Haha, I think we all know how intelligent the average Apple customer is, these lines aren't going anywhere. 

I think we all know how much intelligence YOU have with a shitpost like this.

Haha, I think we all know how intelligent the average Apple customer is, these lines aren't going anywhere. 

as in what almost all content creators use, right.

I think its mostly about stock. its hard to predict how much to send to each store, much easier just to do it all from the warehouse

Ah, the average Apple hate. Oh, how it plagues these forums.

I would rephrase the title to "Apple joins us in the 21st century by allowing customers to buy products on launch day, online"

You've always been able to pre-order them online and have them ship on launch day IIRC.

The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1.2TB Fusion ioDrive2, 3x1TB HDDs | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G | Cooling: 2x240mm AIO + NZXT Kraken G12 | Case: Cooler Master NR600 | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

Secondary Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: ASUS Prime X470-Pro | Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 | GPU: GTX 970 Strix | Cooling: Reeven Ouranos + Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 (GPU) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M

Tertiary Rig: CPU: Intel Xeon X5687 | RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-Premium | Storage: 240GB SanDisk SSD | GPU: GTX 560 2GB (with GTX 770 TF cooler) | Cooling: 360mm Chinese Open Loop | Case: Open Bench (for now) | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W

Oculus Rift CV1: 2x Sensors

Apple Corner

MacBook Pro (Early 2015, A1502) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5257U | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1867 | Storage: 256GB SM0256G SSD | GPU: Intel Iris 6100 | iPhone XS Max 64GB (Space Grey) | Apple Watch Series 2 (42mm) | AirPods (2nd Generation)

Other Assorted Tech

Nintendo Switch (Gray, HAC-001) with modded Joy-Cons (Blue housings and D-Pad) | Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer | PS4 Fat | PS Vita PCH-1000 (Henkaku 3.60 CFW)

Ah, the average Apple hate. Oh, how it plagues these forums.

You've always been able to pre-order them online and have them ship on launch day IIRC.

You always have been able to, Apple is now basically forcing you to for new launches. 

I think we all know how much intelligence YOU have with a shitpost like this.

So then what's the point of the article?

You can't pick up Apple Watch in-store, only in the US you can.

The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1.2TB Fusion ioDrive2, 3x1TB HDDs | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G | Cooling: 2x240mm AIO + NZXT Kraken G12 | Case: Cooler Master NR600 | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

Secondary Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: ASUS Prime X470-Pro | Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 | GPU: GTX 970 Strix | Cooling: Reeven Ouranos + Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 (GPU) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M

Tertiary Rig: CPU: Intel Xeon X5687 | RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-Premium | Storage: 240GB SanDisk SSD | GPU: GTX 560 2GB (with GTX 770 TF cooler) | Cooling: 360mm Chinese Open Loop | Case: Open Bench (for now) | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W

Oculus Rift CV1: 2x Sensors

Apple Corner

MacBook Pro (Early 2015, A1502) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5257U | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1867 | Storage: 256GB SM0256G SSD | GPU: Intel Iris 6100 | iPhone XS Max 64GB (Space Grey) | Apple Watch Series 2 (42mm) | AirPods (2nd Generation)

Other Assorted Tech

Nintendo Switch (Gray, HAC-001) with modded Joy-Cons (Blue housings and D-Pad) | Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer | PS4 Fat | PS Vita PCH-1000 (Henkaku 3.60 CFW)

Exactly...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I have never stood in an Apple launch line, but I get in a way. Its kind of fun to actually go and stand in the excitement with your friends early in the morning and be a part of the excitement. I mean, look at those videos Apple made about the launch days, people are happy and enjoying.

However camping in front of the store even one day prior just shows how jobless you are. But then again, most people who does that are promoters and they get paid for the thing they do

Why camp and queue overnight when you can have it delivered to you? Worst part is, you can't talk them out of it.

Not me, not you, not Apple.

Is there even a way to describe them other than sheeple/iSheep?

Maybe Apple could give a small discount for online purchases, would discourage people from queuing and compensate a little for all the brain and wallet damage they've caused.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

that would be the right way to rephrase it, although if im not mistaken that's already a common thing(the launch so much i don't keep track of it) so far i know (at least here) it was already a thing with the iphone 6, although the waiting times are a different story...

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Exactly...

I've got a good headline!

"Apple Realizes that Having Thousands of the Most Annoying Fanboys in the Technology Industry Show up all at Once, is Annoying"

You can't pick up Apple Watch in-store, only in the US you can.

That only further reinforces the question "what's the point of the article?"

as in what almost all content creators use, right.

I think its mostly about stock. its hard to predict how much to send to each store, much easier just to do it all from the warehouse

At one point in time, almost all famous musicians were using drugs, doesn't make it a good thing to use.

Can't wait for the servers to struggle to contain all the traffic from those waiting in lines all at the same time (launch day) to get it.

Well if there going to make you wait they should make everyone wait. E.g letting you buy online the day of the announcement but to buy in store u have to wait like 2 weeks after the announcement, so by that time everyone who ordered there product online will have it around the same time as the people buying in the store.

So Black Friday camping is fine, but waiting in line for an Apple product isn't.