Will freesync work with any displayport 1.2a?

xnoobftw

I just saw that a port on my new monitor (u2414h) is displayport 1.2a

DOES THAT MEAN I GET TO USE FREESYNC?!?!??!?! :DDDDDDDDDDDD

Ports found on my monitor

2 HDMI(MHL) connectors
1 Mini DisplayPort
1 DisplayPort (version 1.2a)
1 DisplayPort out (MST)
1 Audio Line out (connect your speakers)
4 USB 3.0 ports - Downstream (4 at the back, 1 with battery charging)
1 USB 3.0 port - Upstream

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

No you have to a have a freesync monitor. Also, you need to have a AMD card

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

It's supposed to work but the refresh rate window is unknown.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

No you have to a have a freesync monitor. Also, you need to have a AMD card

It's supposed to work but the refresh rate window is unknown.

I have a 290x

But didnt amd mention that it is implemented via the cable?

So theoretically it should work with any displayport 1.2a right?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

I have a 290x

But didnt amd mention that it is implemented via the cable?

So theoretically it should work with any displayport 1.2a right?

No the cable just carries the signal as far as I know.

Theoretically it should work but the refresh rate window is unknown, it can be 60-70, 48-70 or anything.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

No the cable just carries the signal as far as I know.

Theoretically it should work but the refresh rate window is unknown, it can be 60-70, 48-70 or anything.

Im pretty excited for this :DDDDD

This will negate many price premium that freesync have over normal monitors that manfacturers plan to implement WOOOOOOOO

Im pretty excited for this :DDDDD

This will negate many price premium that freesync have over normal monitors that manfacturers plan to implement WOOOOOOOO

I just want to know what will refresh rate window be, maybe someone could help, now I would just recommend going to PCPER forums and asking there because I feel like they would help.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Unfortunately, no

Also, Freesync relies on Adaptive sync support, which is an optional but not required feature of the DP1.2a standard.

Therefore not all DP1.2a monitors are physically capable of supporting Freesync.

To make matters worse, I found this while digging

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 

D: D: D:

unless your monitor actually supports free sync and it states so you can't and won't be able to use it.

its true that a monitor with display port 1.2 and adaptive sync CAN utilise free sync, but only with a firmware update would it be able too, but that would require you sending the monitor off and getting it done by the manufacturers.... which isn't going to happen and if it did there would be a cost!!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Unfortunately, no

Also, Freesync relies on Adaptive sync support, which is an optional but not required feature of the DP1.2a standard.

Therefore not all DP1.2a monitors are physically capable of supporting Freesync.

To make matters worse, I found this while digging

Another source

To that end, the VESA sends word today that they have done just that with the latest update to the DisplayPort 1.2a standard. Adaptive-Sync (not to be confused with NVIDIA’s Adaptive V-Sync), the eDP feature that allows for variable refresh monitors, has been added to the DisplayPort 1.2a standard as an optional feature.  

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Another source

unless your monitor actually supports free sync and it states so you can't and won't be able to use it.

its true that a monitor with display port 1.2 and adaptive sync CAN utilise free sync, but only with a firmware update would it be able too, but that would require you sending the monitor off and getting it done by the manufacturers.... which isn't going to happen and if it did there would be a cost!!

So it is impossible for me? D:

So it is impossible for me? D:

Will you don't know maybe they will offer a frame ware update - I feel stupid for saying that - ?? or maybe it's completely out of the question.

or maybe for some reason it's there ??

@xnoobftw 

@@xnoobftw 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

U2414H story is b.s. Soo many monitors with DP 1.2 have problems. The problem is with some graphics cards.

Seriously, read the FAQ :P

Your FAQ ?? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Seriously, read the FAQ :P

Ah I've learnt alot from your FAQ

Maybe i shouldnt jumped the gun and bought the u2414h and i should had waited for freesync to be more availableD:

Still the u2414h is a sexy ass monitor tho xD

Your FAQ ?? 

U2414H story is b.s. Soo many monitors with DP 1.2 have problems. The problem is with some graphics cards.

Do you all think I've made a mistake? :o

I certainly do not regret buying the u2414h but i would love to have freesync on my side~

The reason why i've jumped the gun is due to how expensive freesync monitors are and i cannot justify the cost especially when every electronic prices are jacked up in my country even further 

Ah I've learnt alot from your FAQ

Maybe i shouldnt jumped the gun and bought the u2414h and i should had waited for freesync to be more availableD:

Still the u2414h is a sexy ass monitor tho xD

I certainly do not regret buying the u2414h but i would love to have freesync on my side~

The reason why i've jumped the gun is due to how expensive freesync monitors are and i cannot justify the cost especially when every electronic prices are jacked up in my country even further

Personally I don't see the appeal in free-sync now, mostly the refresh rate isn't that much and in the PcPer video from what I understood the G-sync looks smoother at lower refresh rates than free-sync.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

No. I think it is a great monitor. If it had issues, then reviewers would complain, and there would be mass number of returns to Dell (returns to Dell are free. Dell pays return shipping).

FreeSync/G-Sync is very nice to have yes. If you find it is worth buying a new monitor then that is your call. If you want my opinion on it, wait for it to mature, and upgrade to a 4k monitor. By then newer GPUs would be released with more power to handle 4K gaming, You'll have better freesync/G-Sync options, and DisplayPort implementation should be more polished on the GPU side.

Personally I don't see the appeal in free-sync now, mostly the refresh rate isn't that much and in the PcPer video from what I understood the G-sync looks smoother at lower refresh rates than free-sync.

The tearing is real in dying light tho D:

No. I think it is a great monitor. If it had issues, then reviewers would complain, and there would be mass number of returns to Dell (returns to Dell are free. Dell pays return shipping).

FreeSync/G-Sync is very nice to have yes. If you find it is worth buying a new monitor then that is your call. If you want my opinion on it, wait for it to mature, and upgrade to a 4k monitor. By then newer GPUs would be released with more power to handle 4K gaming, You'll have better freesync/G-Sync options, and DisplayPort implementation should be more polished on the GPU side.

Sounds like a good plan! I actually plan on sitting on my rig for the next 5-7 years or up till 4k is feasible (whichever comes first). Do you think that is a good plan? :o

Freesync seems really buggy at the moment too~ 

Sounds like a good plan! I actually plan on sitting on my rig for the next 5-7 years or up till 4k is feasible (whichever comes first). Do you think that is a good plan? :o

Enable V-sync and put that slider to it lowest.

Also what is your CPU usage in that game ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Enable V-sync and put that slider to it lowest.

Also what is your CPU usage in that game ??

Im about to head to the gym now so imma tell you when i reach home!

My fps is pretty bad tho.... Im getting frames from like 30s-60s at the outside world which sucks really (with viewing distance to minimum)

I think it is a good plan. Personally, I am waiting for Pascal. Seeing how the 900 series is close to run 4K gaming comfortably, Pascal should reach it as it is expected to be Maxwell, tweaked, improved for more performance, and with the new 3D memory chip design, it should allow more memory for about the same price.

I think it is a good plan. Personally, I am waiting for Pascal. Seeing how the 900 series is close to run 4K gaming comfortably, Pascal should reach it as it is expected to be Maxwell, tweaked, improved for more performance, and with the new 3D memory chip design, it should allow more memory for about the same price.

What if the 300 series actually offers great 4K gaming experience ??

Also won't pascal use it's proprietary connection ?? So you would need a new motherboard and you will be locked or am I lost as always ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Seems like im in a good spot now :D

FAK now i regret upgrading from a 660 to a 290x within a year of owning my 660 xD (what a waste of $$)

Pascal sounds interesting.... And i think nVidia is going to roflastomp AMD one day because of the snowball effect (how much money nVidia is actually making vs how much money is AMD really making) because of how affordable AMD products are compared to nVidia (hence lesser revenue) but many people still go with nVidia because they have the money to do more advertisement and hence it will cause a snowball effect.... Would you agree? :o

What if the 300 series actually offers great 4K gaming experience ??

Also won't pascal use it's proprietary connection ?? So you would need a new motherboard and you will be locked or am I lost as always ??

I think AMD is lacking funds in researching new architectures tho....