PCX - A HTPC/Steam Streaming Machine in a Playstation 1 Chasis

James.

Really interesting build. Looking forward to it.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Seeing as this has gotten people's attention again, I figured I'd make another update just to state how far along the project is so far.

To start off, I decided to shift my goals away from trying to fit a mini-itx motherboard into the computer, and instead have decided upon using an Asus Chromebox. There main reason for choosing this over a low end thin mini-itx system is the size of the motherboard. Because of its much smaller size, it allows me to more easily fit the other components like the usb extensions that will be used for the controller ports on the front. Additionally, if I were to use a mini-itx motherboard, I don't think I would really have any room for any other components considering how tight the fit was when I tried it last summer.

As for the operating system, I will likely have it running either an Ubuntu or a Debian base, and have it autostart xbmc. Form there, I would install the steam launcher add-on for xbmc so that I could stream steam games to the system. As for xbmc files, instead of having the files locally I'm planning on streaming my movie and TV collections from my main pc. Basically, the computer will be just a steaming machine, with no local files on it.

Unfortunately however, none of this can start until late June at the earliest due to me having a large amount of schoolwork at the moment. I'll update this again, when I get the chromebox and can begin work on the system again.

Its going to be a busy summer, seeing as I'll have this pc to work on, the custom pc to put in a RD350 engine for my father, and the downsizing of my main pc into a sg05, making it look more like this:

jE4duNC.png?1

(While Downsizing My computer to fit in the Sg05 would be nice, I will not really be able to have the funds to do it this summer.)

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

It would be funny if you ran PS1 emulators off this thing but I look forward to seeing how it will turn out.

It would be funny if you ran PS1 emulators off this thing but I look forward to seeing how it will turn out.

Oh I plan to, along with other emulators from that era and earlier (I don't quite think it could run anything more advanced though).

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

• 1 month later...

i'm wondering if the alienware alpha would fit in it

when it comes to the market

The Xbox1 (The actual Original) has quite a big enclosure and would be ideal for such a project.

I think you've started something beautiful here, I'm going to do a project.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

This is pretty cool. I'd love to see someone do an Original Xbox mod though... ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i'm wondering if the alienware alpha would fit in it

when it comes to the market

Based on the image below, the IO looks like it's hight may be small enough to fit, but the grills above them would make me worried that the heatsinks may be too tall since the Alpha is 2 inches(50 cm) tall, and the PS1 can accommodate at most around 35mm. Also, it may be too deep since the machine is a bit longer than a Mini-ITX motherboard and that had a hard time fitting.

Alpha_010-610x343_zps34f4782b.jpg

The Xbox1 (The actual Original) has quite a big enclosure and would be ideal for such a project.

I think you've started something beautiful here, I'm going to do a project.

This is pretty cool. I'd love to see someone do an Original Xbox mod though... ;)

Believe me, if I had realized how little vertical space I would have to work on this, I would hove gone with something like the Xbox instead. Speaking of which, it looks like it could fit a matx motherboard, and a tfx power supply, both of which I have from former PCs or modified/failed projects.

Great, now I'm tempted to buy a used Xbox off eBay.

Update 4: Don't Worry, I'm Still Working On It Folks!

Well, seeing as School's finally out, and I finally have some free time, I figured I might as well get to finally making an update to this, and start on it again. So, to start off, I realized that I never posted a finished picture of the PlayStation all emptied out. So, here it is,

JpQvKUal.jpg

I personally think it doesn't look that bad, though the outside does need to be cleaned up a bit more. Besides just taking it out to the garage for a new workspace and some glamor shots however, I did get some work done in regards to the build, mainly in seeing if the Asus Chromebox would meet the height requirements of the PlayStation. I assumed it would, but I'd rather be sure this time. So, not being able to resist taking photos whenever I can, there's some of that too.

To start off, here's just a general image of what I want the machine to look like in the end, with the cardboard (obviously being replaced by the Chromebox),

6X9lUcSl.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. Anyways, a more closeup shot can be seen below, Sure its not the most accurate, but it works for what I needed it to.

22VwJK2l.jpg

Now, to see if it will fit! (I have no idea how to make the show look good, but I figured i might as well include it.)

9eYoFYVl.jpg

j55Q5REl.jpg

Success! And now with knowing that the Chromebox can actually be ordered. (I took these pictures, and started writing this yesterday, so the Chromebox has actually shipped by now, and should hopefully be here by the end of the week.) For the outputs, I'm thinking what I want to do is mount the Chromebox in the middle of the playstation, and them have an HDMI connector in the "AV MULTIOUT" port, and eternet output in the "Serial IO" port, and the power input (if I can find a connector) in the "AC IN" port. Anyone have any other opinions on what I should do?

zokdstll.jpg

Now, one other thing. If anyone noticed I've now moved away from the kitchen as a picture taking and build location for my projects, and moved out to my new workbench out in the garage, so I figured might as well show that off a bit in this update as well. Its not the most fancy thing in the world, but it works. So, to start off for it, might as well show an overall picture.

HMmxd2fl.jpg

Now, in the toolbox, seeing as my personal tools are really just limited to the to boxes behind the computer cases, I figured I would use the insides as computer parts storage. The pictures show each different drawer from the top down.

1DT1Y4sl.jpg

7oE9TkUl.jpg

oGThW9Gl.jpg

szKW9Osl.jpg

Does anyone see any problems that would arise from keeping parts like this. The rubber lining keeps the parts up off the metal, so static shouldn't be a problem, but I just wanted to make sure. Anyways, that's it for today. The next update should come out when I get the Chromebox. Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to install any Linux distro on it.

Shouldn't be any issues storing them like this, the only thing I would take into consideration would be how cold does it get where you are? Sheds aren't normally insulated and I know how cold a grabbing a spanner first thing after a cold night is. Reoccurring condensation could be an issue. If it doesn't get that cold where you are, no problems.

I hope my missus doesn't see your pics of storing PC gear in the garage.

She looked in the office wardrobe yesterday and commented on all the shit I had stored in there just from my tiny build haha. Honestly, I don't even know what half the stuff is in there anymore :D

Anyway, can't wait to see more, I have a dead fat ps3 case sitting here that I'm thinking would make an excellent htpc cornerstone.

Shouldn't be any issues storing them like this, the only thing I would take into consideration would be how cold does it get where you are? Sheds aren't normally insulated and I know how cold a grabbing a spanner first thing after a cold night is. Reoccurring condensation could be an issue. If it doesn't get that cold where you are, no problems.

It does get somewhat cold here (lowest is around -30­°C) so that may be a problem. My first reaction to that though was that since the parts would be in the drawers, condensation would likely occur on the outer sides of the drawers, and not be a problem, and since they would likely not be used that much in the winter, the condensation if it occurred on the parts, would not be a problem since they would not have power. However, looking back at it I am starting to get worried about it. Also, about the insulation part, my father does want to insulate and put in a wood stove, so that he can work on his motorcycles in the winter so it might not end up being that much of a problem.

I guess its something I'll have to deal with when fall comes.

I hope my missus doesn't see your pics of storing PC gear in the garage.

She looked in the office wardrobe yesterday and commented on all the shit I had stored in there just from my tiny build haha. Honestly, I don't even know what half the stuff is in there anymore :D

Anyway, can't wait to see more, I have a dead fat ps3 case sitting here that I'm thinking would make an excellent htpc cornerstone.

Well, the ps3 wouldn't look that out of place next to a TV, and it would be large enough that it might actually be able to fit an actual desktop motherboard in some form. Also, as for having a ton of random stuff in closets, I still have all of my boxes from my current build sitting in a closet downstairs. I just don't know where else to put it, seeing as if I throw it outside in the garage, there is the risk of mice getting at it and just destroying all of the cardboard, and I would rather not throw them out in case I have to use the warranty for a part, or want to sell anything.

Well, its been a few days with the Chromebox, so this may be a fairly large update. First things first though,

Got many of those silicone beads that they ship with electronic equipment? Throw  bunch of them in the draws :)

To be honest, I don't really think I do. Thanks for the suggestion though, and I will be on the lookout for them in the future.

On to the update.

Update 5: It's Here, It's Here!

3unrT8pl.jpg

Well, this arrived not to long ago. Opening it up and we get another box.

ePb3Ns1l.jpg

With this, while I appreciate Memory Express' attempt with the security tape, it really is not that great, since I personally managed to get the Chromebox's box out without ripping the tape, and others probably could too. Moving on, Let's see what all is in this box.

xg14w3Xl.jpg

To start off there are the instruction guides and a warranty booklet, which I can already tell will be useless.

hGAEEmkl.jpg

Like I was saying:

zEuLpsyl.jpg

Back to the box contents, up next we have the accessories: the power cable, and the VESA mounting hardware.

91p3s0El.jpg

And finally, we have the Chromebox itself. Its a fairly nice looking machine actually.

BchpGhBl.jpg

D4xw2s6l.jpg

6xGOJUJl.jpg

Well, seeing as there were screwdrivers nearby, and there are screws under those feet, i figured I would open it up. Also if anyone has noticed these are not being taken at that new workbench I had posted about. I had decide to paint it so that it would match the rest of the garage's colour scheme and so it was out of action when i took these shots.

0JjdZBKl.jpg

The biggest problem that I can see at this moment that this computer would pose would be with the power button. Its connector looks to the the one pictured below, which means I may have to do some soldering to move it where I want it to go. No biggie though.

NWcfaUMl.jpg

After putting it back together, I followed this guide over on the XBMC forums in order to attempt to install Ubuntu Gnome on the computer. The main reason why I went with gnome specifically was that if I ever had to use the desktop, I figured it would be the easiest to use on a TV. The install was a success ( a picture is below) , and I easily managed to get XBMC and steam running on it.

AKmdmdYl.jpg

Now for a bit of bad news. While in home steaming works great over Wifi at 720p, I couldn't get it the steam at 1080p without a decent amount of latency. However, I dont think that this is so muich of a fault of the chromebox, as it is a fault of my router. I simply don't think that it can output the 1080p game stream at a high enough rate to not have the high latency. Interestingly, running it on a wired connection actually is worse, since the router, being a few years old, only has 10/100 ports on the back, and the game stream over saturates those, causing even higher latency than over wifi.

Well, I wanted an excuse to by a better router anyway. Anyone know a good one to get? I'm completely clueless when it comes to routers. Also, on a completely unrelated topic, anyone have any suggestions on the games i should test on this to see how well it performs. I have a lot of the newer demanding Linux releases, but I can't decide what I want to download and test first, seeing as any of them would be an all night download.

One last thing. i changed my mind again on what I would like to do for the back IO, and now I'm thinking that I would rather have them right at the back of the PS1, mainly because I can find an extension cable for the power input that would work well.

Update 6: Warranties? Where We're Going We Don't Need Warranties!

Remember how in the last post I posted a picture on how the warranty does not apply if you disassemble the computer? Well, this update basically means that it now applies for me.

To Begin, I'm back to the workbench. The paint on it has now dried, so its fine to wok on again.

zpmP5Skl.jpg

Kn1tSzQl.jpg

JUUiUZsl.jpg

These seem as though they are familiar images by now. Before I completely disassemble the Chromebox, I want to change the wifi card out to the one in my desktop, if only to see if I can get better wireless performance out of it.

NKIvo4Pl.jpg

The two wireless cards. The AzureWave AW-NB110H on the right is being replaced by the Intel Centrino 2230 on the left.

M6S1ebgl.jpg

With the new wifi card in the machine. Hopefully this will work better than the last card for streaming, though I think the problem is more with the router than the wireless card. Anyway, on to tearing the computer apart.

wI2TciBl.jpg

To start off, I removed everything (ram, ssd, and wireless card) from the motherboard in the hopes that this would make it easier to take the card out. From here, though I do not have any pictures of it, I basically just had to remove the remaining motherboard screw, and remove the clip on the Kensington lock, and then the motherboard can just be pulled out.

30FKxqEl.jpg

To be honest, it looks a lot like a NUC board, which makes me curious why Intel has not released a NUC with the model of Celeron, seeing as it looks like hp is releasing a Chromebox with these boards as well. At this point, I decided to test to see if the motherboard would fit at the back of the ps1

3lLhXC4l.jpg

yzVnVmSl.jpg

Yep. I should probably get back to taking everything apart again though.

iJNO1S9l.jpg

The rest of the parts in the computer (the power button, and wifi antennas) are on the top of the case. The process to remove the top plastic piece was the same as almost everything else on the case of the computer. Just remove the clips holding it in place, and the part can simply be pulled off.

T6gq8lXl.jpg

Once the screws holding the power button are removed, it can just be pulled off easily. For the antennas, they are simply secured with tape, and can simple be pulled off. Also, its interesting to note but the Chromebox actually has a working HDD light. Since this is hidden normally its a bit odd that they would include it.

u1iM7YRl.jpg

Moving on, by this point, with everything removed, I figured I should probably test to see if the computer still works. and so, Everything was put back together, and hooked up to a monitor.

r5QUHUhl.jpg

And yep, everything still works. From here my plan was to work on the mounting mechanism for the motherboard. Because the case had the right size for mounting the board, I figured I would reuse the metal frame from the bottom, but I would not need the plastic part, so I might as well remove that.

3oauOTnl.jpg

The bottom frame with the plastic part in place.

KxzqNyOl.jpg

And with the plastic removed. Now i figured I might as well test the fit again, just to see how it would look.

9VsKZ3Jl.jpg

GP5Bbbnl.jpg

However there was one problem i saw with this, illustrated in the photo above. Basically when the CD drive cover is opened art of it pushes the motherboard back. This will probably be easy to fix however with just dremeling out the part that pushes the motherboard. Since i will likely have to do this anyway, it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.

The next update should be out hopefully tomorrow or the next day. Basically it will cover the replacing the back piece where the motherboard would e with a piece of acrylic, finishing the motherboard mounting, and hopefully getting the front controller part to fit again.

I'm liking where this is going so far.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Would be cool to have USB ports up front.  :rolleyes:

I agree, but to do that I would have to either cut out new holes in the front panel, or cut out the controller ports, and since I want to actually have those ports working, I'd rather not cut them out. I tried to see if they would fit in the memory card slots, but the plastic of the device that the usb connector is from cause the connector to be too tall to fit. I might end up with a usb port where the AC IN is currently though.

I agree, but to do that I would have to either cut out new holes in the front panel, or cut out the controller ports, and since I want to actually have those ports working, I'd rather not cut them out. I tried to see if they would fit in the memory card slots, but the plastic of the device that the usb connector is from cause the connector to be too tall to fit. I might end up with a usb port where the AC IN is currently though.

I think you should defiantly have some working controller ports. I did it for my N64 PC and it wasn't that difficult to solder up the wires and if you don't want to solder you can just use adapters.

Get a couple of these, crack the casing open and solder the pins to the original ports, and plug the USBs into the front USB 3.0 ports.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

I think you should defiantly have some working controller ports. I did it for my N64 PC and it wasn't that difficult to solder up the wires and if you don't want to solder you can just use adapters.

Get a couple of these, crack the casing open and solder the pins to the original ports, and plug the USBs into the front USB 3.0 ports.

I was planning on doing that, only I would use one of these instead, so I can save the other front port for my wireless Xbox 360 controller adapter.

I was planning on doing that, only I would use one of these instead, so I can save the other front port for my wireless Xbox 360 controller adapter.

Yeah, that would totally work as well.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

I am going to do this hopefully one day with an Xbox.

p.s I didn't steal your idea, I came up with it when our XBOX finally broke and we got a working one off of our cousin.

EDIT - It will be an XBOX original

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

I am going to do this hopefully one day with an Xbox.

p.s I didn't steal your idea, I came up with it when our XBOX finally broke and we got a working one off of our cousin.

If you do it, I would love to see a build log of it. Also, about the whole stealing ideas thing, I don't get why someone would be mad about it. If I discuss or talk about an idea I have, I hope someone comes along and says that it a cool idea to them and that they would want to try something similar. If that didn't happen I think a lot of the cool things that exist, just wouldn't. For example, the main reason why I started working on this project was that I saw someone do a build in a NES and though that I want to try that. I just turned out that I found a used PS1 before I found a used NES.

@Rumikarimu lol, but it was an XBOX original, forgot to put that there lol.

@James Yeah if I do it, I will definitely do a build log of it and have it running SteamOS (i'll call it the Xsteam, bad name I know but I cant think of anything better), but as of now I have LITTERALLY just then received my parts for my first build (well second, I built one for my parents). I will build it tomorrow and I went Mitx for a reason ;)

Hint: I may reuse them in the XBOX PC.  :D

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza