Soundcard/headphone advice all rolled into one.

Darkfeign

Hi guys,

So I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD558s since Christmas (my girlfriend found them in the HMV sale for £99, which I thought was a steal) and I've never been happier with a purchase. The comfort is phenomenal compared to any other headphones I've had to wear for an extended period of time. At the time of purchasing, I was attempting to decide between the (at the time, equally priced) Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (not sure which version, will get to that in a minute) or my current HD 558s.

I am still thinking of eventually looking into getting a pair of DT770s when I begin further studies in September and have some sort of an income, but I am confused which set would really make a difference. My HD 558s don't really leave my PC at the moment as they're too big for me, personally, to wear commuting to university and other places, but I would have no problem storing them at my office to use at my desk, rather than keeping them at home. I am simply trying to decide, if I were to opt for an additional pair of headphones that were closed and more suitable for office environments like university (postgrad), would I be better off getting the DT770 PROs in the 80ohm version that should be drivable by my laptop, or the 250ohm version and purchase a soundcard to keep them for my PC and take my (open =[) sennheisers with me.

As an additional question to this, would purchasing a soundcard at this time (HD 558s only) be worthwhile, and worth the money (as I would spend out for a higher-end card, around £60~ like the Xonar DX) or would it be more worth while waiting to purchase a higher-end xonar card if I end up purchasing the 250ohm DT770s?

I'm also wondering if a Xonar DX would drive the 250ohm version or if it's only suitable for the 80ohm version?

Thanks for any help guys.

The Ohm difference will only sound different if the output impedance of whichever source you use is too high, though I doubt you'll run into that problem with 80 ohm or higher phones. You might have to turn the volume knob higher with the 250 ohm version, but I'd assume you have enough headroom for that so you shouldn't need a soundcard.

In other words, I'd suggest you get the 250 Ohm DT770s for work (just because they're cheaper). If they end up not being loud enough, you can amp them easy enough with a FiiO E3, or go all out with a FiiO E10.

P.S. If you just like reading: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/gain-and-headphone-ampsdacs.html

I wouldn't think an e3 or even an e5/6 would be enough to power dt770's

with the higher resistance, you need a higher voltage to drive it, and I just don't know if a single li-ion can drive them.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I wouldn't think an e3 or even an e5/6 would be enough to power dt770's

with the higher resistance, you need a higher voltage to drive it, and I just don't know if a single li-ion can drive them.

My bad if so, was only responding in regard to experience with my 300 Ohm Sennheisers sounding great off a Cowon iAudio E2.

Cowon E2's output of 12mW @ 16 Ohms vs FiiO E6's output of 100mW @ 32 Ohms

I could be wrong, I just kind of think the e6 is more for portable use with iems and not home use with full size, high impedance cans.

I just checked fiio's site

4.7v and 50mA output is higher than I thought it would be.

you'll be able to push just under 20mA with 250ohm cans.

I don't know if that will help over what you already have.

I'd almost just go with an e7 so you can use it portably as an amp and a transportable dac

or just go e10 for transportable dac

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I could be wrong, I just kind of think the e6 is more for portable use with iems and not home use with full size, high impedance cans.

I just checked fiio's site

4.7v and 50mA output is higher than I thought it would be.

you'll be able to push just under 20mA with 250ohm cans.

I don't know if that will help over what you already have.

I'd almost just go with an e7 so you can use it portably as an amp and a transportable dac

or just go e10 for transportable dac

For all I know, Senn's db/W could be much greater than Beyer's, and I couldn't find that info on Google in 30 seconds so I gave up.

I'd recommend an e7 or e10 as well, but wasn't sure how happy OP was with the laptop's sound. I figured the compactness of the e3 would be appealing.

I'd say the ultimate compact experience is the Etymotics ER-4p and the Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed).  However, I'd say you'd just like something somewhat portable to plug into your laptop.

A FiiO E10 would be a perfect substitute for a laptop soundcard.  If you wanna spend more, there's the O2+ODAC of course.  That's what I use.  No need to get a Beyer headphone if you're already happy with the HD558s

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I'd say the ultimate compact experience is the Etymotics ER-4p and the Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed).  However, I'd say you'd just like something somewhat portable to plug into your laptop.

A FiiO E10 would be a perfect substitute for a laptop soundcard.  If you wanna spend more, there's the O2+ODAC of course.  That's what I use.  No need to get a Beyer headphone if you're already happy with the HD558s

It's like you didn't read his post at all.  :wacko:

It's like you didn't read his post at all.  :wacko:

W-w-what'd I miss?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

W-w-what'd I miss?

He's not looking for a laptop soundcard, but rather wondering if he should a) get the 80ohm beyers to use at the office with his laptop, or b) get the 250ohm, get a soundcard, and use at home, use the HD 558s at the office.

He's not looking for a laptop soundcard, but rather wondering if he should a) get the 80ohm beyers to use at the office with his laptop, or B) get the 250ohm, get a soundcard, and use at home, use the HD 558s at the office.

laptop onboard audio is really not a good idea with nice headphones.  Only good ones I know of are the laptops with SSDs, since they lack the obvious mechanical interference issue.

stupid smiley inserting itself....

yeah :rolleyes: always in the worst places

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I mean ideally I was looking at getting this sound card:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Xonar-D2X-XDT-Express/dp/B0011BC1FO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=10D1SH5VEFNFH&coliid=I1SET3XIJWRVQR

As I wouldn't need amazing sound at the office it was just more about closed rather than open headphones, so ideally i'd get the 80ohm DT770s to take with me, but I figured if the soundcard or an FiiO will drive the 250ohm version, maybe it would be worth getting them?

I really don't want to get the 250 version if it won't make a massive difference and just get the easier 80ohm as long as a soundcard will still bump up the sound quality of both headsets, and not be too powerful for either.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I mean ideally I was looking at getting this sound card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Xonar-D2X-XDT-Express/dp/B0011BC1FO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=10D1SH5VEFNFH&coliid=I1SET3XIJWRVQR

As I wouldn't need amazing sound at the office it was just more about closed rather than open headphones, so ideally i'd get the 80ohm DT770s to take with me, but I figured if the soundcard or an FiiO will drive the 250ohm version, maybe it would be worth getting them?

I really don't want to get the 250 version if it won't make a massive difference and just get the easier 80ohm as long as a soundcard will still bump up the sound quality of both headsets, and not be too powerful for either.

If you want closed headphones for the office, then get closed headphones for the office. If you also want improved sound at the home, don't mix the two objectives. ;)

Here in the US, the 80 ohm version is more expensive than the 250 ohm version but they are the same price on Amazon UK, which might have added some confusion on our part. The two versions sound pretty much the same - the different versions only exist due to compatibility issues with certain amps, a problem you wont have until you get into high end gear.

Just grab the 80 ohm version and let that bliss hit your ears.

This. How is the O2+ODAC? It looks like an interesting setup.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

This. How is the O2+ODAC? It looks like an interesting setup.

I use it with my laptop when I travel.  Works great in a hotel room as long as you bring a travel strip.