Sorry if this is a drm question, but...

I was planning on starting my build this coming Friday, but I am still up un the air between the 5920k and the 4790k. So my plan now is to upgrade the rest of my system and the choose between z97 and x99 in a month or 2 since W10 and DX12 are slated for release Q2 of this year. Thats where I have a few questions...

1) If I buy a SSD and Windows 8.1 now, will it act funny when I change out my CPU and MOBO? I imagine it should work, but when I tried to use the HDD out of a used Gateway when I built my current rig it did not work. My current OS is an OEM copy.

2) If I buy games now(hard copies), will I run into DRM trouble when I change out my CPU and MOBO. Like, will they games think they are in a whole new computer, or will it be fine if they are still on the original storage device. Right now, I only have STO, DCUO and Planetside 2 I'm not worried about them. I do want to get Witcher 1 and 2, BF4, DA: Inquisition and Skyrim(mostly to see how pretty it is compared to Xbox) but don't want to run into problems when I upgrade.

Sorry, I havent really upgraded more than just my GPU(s) and PSU in over 6 years, so I never really had to worry about this before. As always, any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz, Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61(Push/Pull), MOBO: EVGA Z97 FTW, OS: Windows 10, RAM: 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR3 2400, Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb + 500gb SSD, WD Black 1tb HDD, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G1, Case: NZXT Phantom 530, GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 CLASSIFIED, Monitor: Seiki 39 inch, 1080p @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz

I was planning on starting my build this coming Friday, but I am still up un the air between the 5920k and the 4790k. So my plan now is to upgrade the rest of my system and the choose between z97 and x99 in a month or 2 since W10 and DX12 are slated for release Q2 of this year. Thats where I have a few questions...

1) If I buy a SSD and Windows 8.1 now, will it act funny when I change out my CPU and MOBO? I imagine it should work, but when I tried to use the HDD out of a used Gateway when I built my current rig it did not work. My current OS is an OEM copy.

2) If I buy games now(hard copies), will I run into DRM trouble when I change out my CPU and MOBO. Like, will they games think they are in a whole new computer, or will it be fine if they are still on the original storage device. Right now, I only have STO, DCUO and Planetside 2 I'm not worried about them. I do want to get Witcher 1 and 2, BF4, DA: Inquisition and Skyrim(mostly to see how pretty it is compared to Xbox) but don't want to run into problems when I upgrade.

Sorry, I havent really upgraded more than just my GPU(s) and PSU in over 6 years, so I never really had to worry about this before. As always, any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

All I can really answer is the X99 vs Z97. Z99 is totally overkill for gaming.

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

what are you looking to do with the system? 

askdjfasdf

1) OEM verson is linked to the HW (MOBO IIRC) so that's why it didn't work. If you buy a copy that is not OEM it should be fine.

2) I don't think that's gonna be problem, don't see why.

And if only for gaming, the 4790k is way enough as @CharlieR1 said.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

what are you looking to do with the system? 

Right now, I am upgrading to Windows 8.1, getting a SSD for OS and games, and getting a new case. Then, in a few months, upgrade the CPU, MOBO and ram.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz, Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61(Push/Pull), MOBO: EVGA Z97 FTW, OS: Windows 10, RAM: 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR3 2400, Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb + 500gb SSD, WD Black 1tb HDD, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G1, Case: NZXT Phantom 530, GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 CLASSIFIED, Monitor: Seiki 39 inch, 1080p @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz

Right now, I am upgrading to Windows 8.1, getting a SSD for OS and games, and getting a new case. Then, in a few months, upgrade the CPU, MOBO and ram.

He's asking if you only want to game on it, work on it, both ?

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

1) OEM verson is linked to the HW (MOBO IIRC) so that's why it didn't work. If you buy a copy that is not OEM it should be fine.

2) I don't think that's gonna be problem, don't see why.

And if only for gaming, the 4790k is way enough as @CharlieR1 said.

By "copy that  is not OEM", do you mean the $300 consumer copy of Windows?

And, as of right now, the 4790k is the clear choice, but if DX12 does what it is rumored to, the 5820k is going to kill it. The difficulty of the choice for me is that I live about an hour from a Micro Center where its only $279 for the 4790k and $299 for the 5820k.

basicly unless your creating insane content on youtube and the like you dont need anything better than z97 the 4790k is a monster of a cpu as is the 4690k.

By "copy that is not OEM", do you mean the $300 consumer copy of Windows?

And, as of right now, the 4790k is the clear choice, but if DX12 does what it is rumored to, the 5820k is going to kill it. The difficulty of the choice for me is that I live about an hour from a Micro Center where its only $279 for the 4790k and $299 for the 5820k.

ok thats a tough choice.....kinda

askdjfasdf

He's asking if you only want to game on it, work on it, both ?

OOOOOH, sorry. Its mostly for gaming, but some video conversion also. All recreational, though.

By "copy that  is not OEM", do you mean the $300 consumer copy of Windows?

Probably the full version which is around 120 bucks and can be transffered like 4 times. On previous OEM versions you had to call MS to get them to give you another key to transfer the copy and that was only if the MOBO was dead. Not sure if they change the rules somehow.

I know. But that's a X99 platform which means expensive MOBO and expensive DDR4 memory (DDR3 is not compatible).

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Probably the full version which is around 120 bucks and can be transffered like 4 times. On previous OEM versions you had to call MS to get them to give you another key to transfer the copy and that was only if the MOBO was dead. Not sure if they change the rules somehow.

I know. But that's a X99 platform which means expensive MOBO and expensive DDR4 memory (DDR3 is not compatible).

Not too bad. Z97 CPU, MOBO, ram = $600... X99 CPU, MOBO, ram = $688

From what I understand, DX 12 is SUPPOSED to allow games to use more of the CPU, particularly utilizing 4 or more cores. IF that's true, the the X99 is a helluva deal at only $88 more. However, If things stay pretty much how they are now, or there's only a slight improvement, then Z97 is the better value.

Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsxn93Wb7vk

Not too bad. Z97 CPU, MOBO, ram = $600... X99 CPU, MOBO, ram = $688

From what I understand, DX 12 is SUPPOSED to allow games to use more of the CPU, particularly utilizing 4 or more cores. IF that's true, the the X99 is a helluva deal at only $88 more. However, If things stay pretty much how they are now, or there's only a slight improvement, then Z97 is the better value.

Check this out...

Seriously ? Only 88 bucks difference ? I hate you with your good prices! :D

Exactly what you said. Question is when they gonna roll out the DX12 though. I tend to be sceptical until I have evidence. We'll see :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Seriously ? Only 88 bucks difference ? I hate you with your good prices! :D

Exactly what you said. Question is when they gonna roll out the DX12 though. I tend to be sceptical until I have evidence. We'll see :)

DX12 is sopposed to be included with Windows 10, that is supposed to be released this summer.

Here's a little more technical video on what its supposed to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1SZM2zhBE

DX12 is sopposed to be included with Windows 10, that is supposed to be released this summer.

Here's a little more technical video on what its supposed to do.

That's awesome. I am curious how well it's gonna work in games

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler