Fractal Design Define R5 + E-ATX?

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

the R4 motherboard tray is different than the R5, the R4 was flat across the whole

face of the tray. the R5 has a impression on the tray face only the size of the ATX

board. extending the width will allow the back of the mobo short out on the raised

portion of the tray.

R4 mobo tray: flat all across the tray

IMG_2150.jpg

R5 has a concave design for cable management/PSU area:

yes, using the last PCIe slot on a 2x-slot GPU will not fit. not enough rear PCI slots

and the PSU will interfere. but that is about the norm on all 7-slot cases.

A couple of days ago I bought a Fractal Design Define R5 and a ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, but completely forgot to check if that case actually fits an E-ATX sized motherboard...

Is it possible to make it fit anyway or should I just send it back and buy a regular ATX motherboard instead?

CPU: i7 5820K @4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400MHz

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Extreme Graphic card(s): x2 EVGA GTX980 Ti SC (ref) @1405MHz (SLI)

Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX II Storage: x2 WD Red 4TB (RAID 1), Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB,

Crucial MX100 512GB Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 PSU: Corsair RM1000

change the case or the motherboard.. due to the motherboard tray limitations

the E-ATX is not usable.

change the case or the motherboard.. due to the motherboard tray limitations

the E-ATX is not usable.

Just curious, does an E-ATX board have the same mounting holes plus extra or is it different?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Yep, they removed EATX compatibility in the R5

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Just curious, does an E-ATX board have the same mounting holes plus extra or is it different?

same mounting as the regular AYX, but is .75-1.2" wider. the width is the issue

as the mobo tray is concave wide enough for ATX. when E-ATX is installed, the

PCB will short out on the tray overhang.

Yep, they removed EATX compatibility in the R5

The R4 wasn't compatible with E-ATX either (on paper, that is), but people managed to make it fit anyhow. Why can't you do that with the R5 then? I've compared photos of the interior of both cases and they seem pretty much identical.

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Extreme Graphic card(s): x2 EVGA GTX980 Ti SC (ref) @1405MHz (SLI)

Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX II Storage: x2 WD Red 4TB (RAID 1), Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB,

when E-ATX is installed, the PCB will short out on the tray overhang.

Can I modify the case so I'll have another PCI tray port at the bottom to avoid this issue?

the R4 motherboard tray is different than the R5, the R4 was flat across the whole

face of the tray. the R5 has a impression on the tray face only the size of the ATX

board. extending the width will allow the back of the mobo short out on the raised

portion of the tray.

R4 mobo tray: flat all across the tray

IMG_2150.jpg

R5 has a concave design for cable management/PSU area:

yes, using the last PCIe slot on a 2x-slot GPU will not fit. not enough rear PCI slots

and the PSU will interfere. but that is about the norm on all 7-slot cases.

I see. Thanks for the quick response guys, I guess I'll just send the R5 back and buy the Fractal Design Define XL R2 instead.