Bose Fan, Ready for the bashing. (Might be surprised)

AskMrJake

I hope you find a friend one day.  

Why would you wish that on someone? What a monster.

What was so untrue about my statement?  Also... what was irrelevant?  Besides the whole thread?

I don't always post a perfect picture on what I am thinking but you should be able to read between the lines.

The part I messed up on was saying Bose wasn't quality... Not specifying the audio line, and not the headphone line.

I don't know enough about the headphones on the quality side...but regardless they are overpriced.

Every speaker system they make = overpriced for what you get....that's true.

Those PC speaker my GF's dad bought for $100....junk.  Not worth $30. You could hook up better sounding headphones for $40

So why buy the particular Bose I had....???  There was no reason. It was not my choice.

In fact...I forgot that those were replaced by Polk Audio speakers for the same price and I used an amp that I got from a buddy.

Hey guys, for a long time I have been a Bose fan, and was planning on saving money to buy the Bose Companion 5 speaker set up for my computer. I have always thought the sound quality was fantastic, and have never had any problems. (I work at an electronics store and get a more than generous discount on Bose products thankfully) But, I have been reading recently and have noticed that in the PC and Audio world, not many people care for Bose. At all. It caught me by surprise. Here is where you guys come in. Why does Bose have such a negative reputation online? And what would you recommend in place of the Companion 5 as a speaker set up? Has to include an L/R and Sub.

Thanks a ton you guys.

-Jake

Ok.... You said what should you get instead.  Find the ADA 995 and buy it. It's 5.1 though.  But... you don't need the 2 rears. Use them as backup speakers in case one goes bad. The older Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 was better too.  Not sure about the newer version though. They used to give you a full size sub...was really nice.

ADA995 are hard to come by though.  There is this though....still better than Bose.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Logitech-Z623-THX-Certified-Speaker-System-200-Watts-/301569553549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636f2348d

Look at the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sure no one likes you in real life, too, which is why you bury yourself in a forum taking your loner-rage and hate out on every one else that has an opinion that differs from yours.  

You are a pitiable person. I hope you find a friend one day.  

This is stereotype and attacking personal life at its best. It's as if I'm allowed to say since you live in Texas most probably you'll have one of your loved ones (if you have any) get shot by firearms

(Sorry @ShearMe, no offense to you)

What was so untrue about my statement?  Also... what was irrelevant?  Besides the whole thread?

I don't always post a perfect picture on what I am thinking but you should be able to read between the lines.

The part I messed up on was saying Bose wasn't quality... Not specifying the audio line, and not the headphone line.

I don't know enough about the headphones on the quality side...but regardless they are overpriced.

Every speaker system they make = overpriced for what you get....that's true.

Those PC speaker my GF's dad bought for $100....junk.  Not worth $30. You could hook up better sounding headphones for $40

So why buy the particular Bose I had....???  There was no reason. It was not my choice.

In fact...I forgot that those were replaced by Polk Audio speakers for the same price and I used an amp that I got from a buddy.

So you heard the $100 bose speaker, did you hear their higher end speakers? (Something like accoustic mass 5)

Facts are facts, and things are what they are. How Bose (generally) sound is a fact. Is it good or bad, worth it or overpriced, that's for each individuals to judge. Although the general consensus seems to be that Bose products are indeed overpriced.

In the past, Bose were known for decent quality and stylish designs. I remember seeing their wall-embedded CD player advertising in the past, and thought, now how cool is that?

I think they're one of the first companies to go with the 'unseen' approach, hiding everything from sight. That's why they're well known for their inconspicuous small satellites that can be placed or hidden away from sights, around the room. The goal was not to do something (detrimental) to the design of the house/apartment. Personally I think the idea itself is kinda revolutionary, at that time. I'm sure some people from older days think the same. Problem is, ideas can't be exclusive for a long time. They're easily copied, and soon enough other companies started to get into the trend. 

So.. Let the thread digress from its aimless arguing and go back to more professional and higher quality audio setups than a Bose Companion 5.1 system.. That IS why I started the thread in the first place. I didn't really expect a battle. I was just looking for some help. I have read some good info on the other hand. Audioengine 2+ speakers have been recommended, which I'm sure are some damn good speakers. But I would like a sub, and to add one that's an additional $349, which sadly is a little out of my price range despite it being a kick ass setup I'm sure. Also the ADA 995's which look solid, but I guess you can't really find them. I'm looking for a setup under $300 that is going to give me some damn good sound. Better than the Companion 5 since I have read everywhere that I can get way better speakers for way less money. I have been looking at the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system, and listened to it at a best buy. I did like those ones, but am still open to suggestions from members on the forum. Unfortunately, due to the excess of arguing, I haven't really been convinced that there is a 2.1 system aside from the Promedia 2.1 that really is a better bang for your buck than a Companion 5 (At my price of $280) It may very well not be worth $400, and I don't doubt that. Help me out you guys! and be nice! Most people here want to learn about audio so they can get the best products as well. 

You could always go for something that I was always interested in. Powered speakers. Sort of like Pro audio studio monitors.

If you want more low end just get a pair with 6 1/2 or 8 inch drivers.

Example.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP8G3

For a nice audio setup, I heartily recommend the Audioengine A5+'s. http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A5-plus-B-Powered-Speakers

I personally own these and am consistently blown away by the quality, they are a great all around speaker setup that has awesome highs, mids, and lows.

If you need a sub, Audioengine also has their own S8 powered sub, although you can use any subwoofer that you'd like. I don't own the S8, but I have plans to pick it up in the future. http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Subwoofers/S8B-Powered-Subwoofer

I've paired my A5+'s with the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 Amp/DAC combo. You can check out their products here

Also, check Massdrop out, they have frequent discounts on many of the products I've mentioned. 

I understand that my suggestions may very well exceed your current budget, I apologize, although I do believe it's worth every penny. I purchased my A5+'s off Massdrop for $300, and have been building out from there. With a little patience, and some saving, I am confident you can make this happen. Ultimately, the final say is up to you. 

Please don't hesitate if you have any comments or concerns, I'll be more than happy to remedy any questions.  :)

post-194392-0-82348400-1428537915_thumb.

For a nice audio setup, I heartily recommend the Audioengine A5+'s. http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A5-plus-B-Powered-Speakers

I personally own these and am consistently blown away by the quality, they are a great all around speaker setup that has awesome highs, mids, and lows.

If you need a sub, Audioengine also has their own S8 powered sub, although you can use any subwoofer that you'd like. I don't own the S8, but I have plans to pick it up in the future. http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Subwoofers/S8B-Powered-Subwoofer

I've paired my A5+'s with the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 Amp/DAC combo. You can check out their products here

Also, check Massdrop out, they have frequent discounts on many of the products I've mentioned. 

I understand that my suggestions may very well exceed your current budget, I apologize, although I do believe it's worth every penny. I purchased my A5+'s off Massdrop for $300, and have been building out from there. With a little patience, and some saving, I am confident you can make this happen. Ultimately, the final say is up to you. 

Please don't hesitate if you have any comments or concerns, I'll be more than happy to remedy any questions.  :)

I do like the A5's. Are they that much better than the A2+'s? Or would the A2+'s be a good speaker as well?

I do like the A5's. Are they that much better than the A2+'s? Or would the A2+'s be a good speaker as well?

I don't own the A2+'s, but I did research them prior to ordering the A5+'s. The A2+'s are still a great speaker, though I believe they leave something to be desired in the bass department, which can easily be remedied with a sub. The A2+'s also occupy a smaller footprint than their larger brother, making them much more conducive to desktop placement. It all depends on taste, the A5+'s are almost fine on their own without a sub, bass is nice and punchy out of the box, although I plan on buying a sub somewhere down the line. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the A2+'s, just don't expect booming bass, which can always be resolved with the purchase of a sub later on. Hope this helps.  :)

-snip-

I think the bigger question is how do they compare to the similar priced products, bur much less popular ones. There are probably some yamaha or jbl monitor for the priced