Anyone here done a RMA with Western Digital? I have a question

Luke

So they have these three options for RMA:

Standard RMA

Create a standard RMA. WD will send you a replacement after we have received your defective product.

Advance RMA

Create a Advanced RMA. Please remember to send us your defective product to avoid a charge on your credit card.

Express RMA

This service is only for products with an eligibile service plan.

So from what i understand Advance RMA is just a more convenient way because they send the hard drive out immediately and only charge you the value of the drive if you end up not shipping yours back to them instead of them sending it out once they've receive your old drive like with a standard RMA. 

One thing though is that i read a comment on a forum of someone saying this "yeah WD is really good for RMA. Just request the RMA, they will send you another drive, and in that same box, you put your old drive, and they will pay for postage for return, you're done."

I'm in no rush so i was going to just choose standard RMA but if they cover the shipping cost with Advance RMA i might as well choose that option although i can't find anything on their website saying that they do. Has anyone used the Advance RMA process before? Help is much appreciated.
Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Standard RMA

Create a standard RMA. WD will send you a replacement after we have received your defective product.

Advance RMA

Create a Advanced RMA. Please remember to send us your defective product to avoid a charge on your credit card.

Express RMA

So from what i understand Advance RMA is just a more convenient way because they send the hard drive out immediately and only charge you the value of the drive if you end up not shipping yours back to them instead of them sending it out once they've receive your old drive like with a standard RMA. 

One thing though is that i read a comment on a forum of someone saying this "yeah WD is really good for RMA. Just request the RMA, they will send you another drive, and in that same box, you put your old drive, and they will pay for postage for return, you're done."

I'm in no rush so i was going to just choose standard RMA but if they cover the shipping cost with Advance RMA i might as well choose that option but i can't find anything on their website saying that they do. Has anyone used the Advance RMA process before? Help is much appreciated.

It may have changed, but, When i was doing dozens of these for work a few years ago, we never got free return shipping, was always a $5-6 label from USPS. But I could be mistaken, it could have changed, and I could have forgotten how it actually worked. 

Therefore:

@Captain_WD

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Okay, so they DO hold the funds on the credit/debit card. So, let say, the part cost $100 and you have $500 available in your account, you will only be able to use the card for $400 UNTIL they get the product back and remove the hold. Although with this hold you will not be responsible for the money on your monthly invoice.

And when I did it, yes they covered shipping both ways.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Your responsible for shipping charges when you set the drive back to them and they're responsible for the shipping charges when they send the drive back to you.

Advanced RMA, they will need your credit card. They sent a recertified drive to you first and you send them back your broken drive. It must arrive by a certain date (forgot how long), if they don't receive it by then, they will charge your credit card. I did advanced RMA and I remember still having to pay for shipping.

The stanard is pretty self explainatory, send bad drive back, and they sent you back a recertified drive. It's all very easy, just fill out the online form and you're all set. Best thing to do is to run the WD diagnostic to get a error or report, that way it's much easier to tell them what's wrong with your drive.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Standard RMA

Advance RMA

Express RMA

I'm in no rush so i was going to just choose standard RMA but if they cover the shipping cost with Advance RMA i might as well choose that option although i can't find anything on their website saying that they do. Has anyone used the Advance RMA process before? Help is much appreciated.

Hey Luke, 

@JefferyD90 and @NumLock21 described it pretty good. 
If you go through the website here: http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?wdc_lang=en#rmayou can find under Notes/ Return Material Authorization (RMA) this: "Authorized returns are to be shipped prepaid and insured to the address on the RMA in an approved shipping container" I would, however, contact out phone support for some additional details. 
Make sure you follow the procedure steps and the appropriate containers and wrappings. :)
Feel free to ask if you happen to have more questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

• 2 years later...

Be careful with the advanced RMA, they will bill your credit/debit card, and it takes about 30 days for them to refund you the money once they receive the drive.  Sometimes you also have to keep on top of them, to mark the returned drive as back in inventory as they get a lot of the drives in at once and don't always process it in a timely fashion.

I've done two RMA's with WD.  One standard and one express.  The standard one I had to pay for the postage to send the drive back.  The express one, they sent me to a website to print out a waybill and they paid for it.  Technically you are supposed to pay for the shipping back to WD on most of their devices according to the EULA, but a tech can normally override that by asking a supervisor.

They did put a hold on my CC for the retail cost of the drive and it was dropped about 3 days after I got notification that they had received my product that I shipped.

That being said, WD by far is the best RMA experience I have ever had.  Zero issues. I had one velocorapter that was literally 4 years 363 days, so 2 days left in warranty and they replaced it no questions asked or trying to delay for a couple days.

Very good service.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i