How much storage do you have?

how much storage do you have personally?

not as in how much are you using, how much drive space do you have inside your rig(s)

I personally have 3x 1TB HDDs and a 128SSD.

what do you have?

@Slick , what does everyone in the office have?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

For personal use, my main desktop has a 256 GB SSD, a 3TB HDD for gmaing and whatnot. My laptop has 2 1TB hdds. I have various other hard drives around.

I'm buying more storage soon, probably like ~8TB of storage in raid, and will add as time goes on, because I really need more. Like a lot more. I could fill 10TB easily. 

I used to have a lot more storage, and I'm really hurting not having that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I have a 120GB SSD, 1x 2TB External and 1x1TB External

256 GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD. Oh, no, wait. That is the marketing size. The actual size, of course, is 238 GB and 1.81 TB.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

1TB.

A HDD.

(and a 2TB and a 1TB external HDD)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

how much storage do you have personally?

not as in how much are you using, how much drive space do you have inside your rig(s)

I personally have 3x 1TB HDDs and a 128SSD.

what do you have?

@Slick , what does everyone in the office have?

Workstation: 2x80gb raid0 ssd's for OS, 1tb hdd

Gaming pc: 2x80gb raid0 ssd's for OS, 2tb hdd

NAS: 2x80gb raid0 ssd for /home and OS, 20 tb storage for local pc's mirroring.

In my PC: 1TB HDD, 240 GB SSD

Laptop: 750 GB HDD, 128 GB SSD

External: 500GB

Everything that's in my PC and on my desk

Intel Core i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 770 Gaming 2GB | Corsair Obsidian 450D | Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Corsair CX750M  | Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition | NZXT Hue RGB Leds | 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition | Corsair AF120 Performance Edition | Nanoxia Frontpanel Extension Red | AOC G2770PQU | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate MX Brown | Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS | Corsair Vengeance 1500

2x 1TB WD greens and a 120 ssd, 6TB Nas for movies and series, a laptop with half a TB of storage and like 3TB in portable harddrives.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

120GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive 

Not much I know, but I can't seem to fill it all :/ (I can easily fill the SSD, but not the hard drive)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

250gb SSD (dont remember the model) and a 3TB HDD (who remembers these models?)

120GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive 

Not much I know, but I can't seem to fill it all :/ (I can easily fill the SSD, but not the hard drive)

cram it with more things!

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

For personal use, my main desktop has a 256 GB SSD, a 3TB HDD for gmaing and whatnot. My laptop has 2 1TB hdds. I have various other hard drives around.

I'm buying more storage soon, probably like ~8TB of storage in raid, and will add as time goes on, because I really need more. Like a lot more. I could fill 10TB easily. 

I used to have a lot more storage, and I'm really hurting not having that.

Heck! Why do you need so much storage? :o

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

120GB SSD Boot Drive and a 512 GB SSD for storage and applications

I also have access to a 14TB NAS but I don't think that counts

Heck! Why do you need so much storage? :o

because reasons.

not enough 2tb in pc and about 5tb overall! i want 50tb, but we all know there is only one way to fill that :D 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I currently have an old HP Pre-Built that I'm planning to swap out with a custom built system, but my HP system has a 500GB internal HDD, but I have a 1TB external WD hard drive for backup.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

#doublepost

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

256 GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD. Oh, no, wait. That is the marketing size. The actual size, of course, is 238 GB and 1.81 TB.

It's not a marketing size. You are wrong. It's even taught wrong, it's a common thing not to know the reason behind this

The only reason 1 GB is 1000 MB is because IEC is retarded. This wasn't true till 98

a GiB is 1024MB, that's where the two units come together

No, it's 1024 MiB, and it's a retarded idea that I refuse to accept and I much prefer the traditional measurement.

They don't "come together"

1 Gib= 1024 MiB

1 MiB = 1024 KiB

1 KiB = 1024 Bytes

Think of it this way, GiB/MiB/KiB is exactly the same as the traditional 1024 conversion that a lot of people still use 16 years later.

What?? I thought it was SI because of all Kilo and Giga can you elaborate please..

Long story short, it was on a 1024 scale, because that's just computer convent. Then IEC in their infinite wisdom decided it had to match SI.

It's not that they are wrong, but changing it after so long just leads to confusion, even now.

Which is wrong and a misconception and I wouldn't because a lot of people say it, Barnacules did it and I corrected him so did other people like newegg TV if it's wrong I will correct them it doesn't matter and a lot of forum members know that a 1 GB is 1000MB which dare I say are a tech community.

Thing is the majority of the tech community are older and grew up on the traditional definition, then in 98 some small groups of people decided to change that all.

Barnacules wasn't really wrong either- not only did he learn and start programming likely before the definition change, but as far as I know windows still uses the 1024 conversion. This is why a lot of people plug in drives and think the drive uses a lot of space up formatting or whatever. It doesn't. It's just on a 1000MB=1GB, and windows is not as far as I remember.

1 TB = 0.909495 TiB, and windows uses the TiB definition for TB

Yes you are right only MS does this Linux,OSX use decimal not binary and show it as decimal, Win uses binary units and shows them as decimal and that where a lot of problems happen like seeing HDD smaller than advertised.

im studying engineer in hardware, and they taught us that 1GB is indeed 1024MB.

And they are wrong. Sorta. Since 98.

I was taught that too.

then what is the real size of MB in 1GB?, so i can make a ruckus in my school for false information.

Well according to IEC and IEEE it is 1000 MB, which is 1000 KB, which is 1000 bytes.

1 GiB is 1024 MiB, and so on

That's pronounced Gibibyte, and sounds just as retarded as it looks. 

Drives use the new SI standard, both becuase it's an IEEE standard as of like 2000 or something like that. 

It was adopted by drive manufacturers For a few reasons

1.for mechanical drives at least (I can't speak for SSDs), the SI units make sense. It's not like memory

2. It's an IEEE standard, and if putting a mini dildo on your drive is a IEEE standard, you better do it or it's WRONG. Or something. Anyway they keep up to "code" with these standards, else the server market might catch on fire or something.

3. The new SI standard makes it look bigger. Would you rather market a  100 GB drive or a 93 GB drive?

Of course not everyone adopted. MS didn't for example. 

Have your professor/classmates do this:

Add up all of the size for the partitions in windows for a drive. I'll do mine

647GB, 495GB, 720GB

Those are the 3 partitions on my 2TB drive, those are all rough numbers, rounding down like in explorer for simplicity's sake.

As one volume, that would add up to 1862GB, which is not 2TB obviously. A LOT of techies will tell you it has to do with the formatting or windows or something, which is a load of shit. 

Windows just uses the old GB, now referred to as GiB.

If I take 1862GiB and convert it to GB (google will do this for you, their converter is correct) I get 1999.31which without rounding down on the partition sizes and counting the ~100MiB system reserved partition would be 2TB or pretty damn close to it.

You'll also notice that windows has an area in file properties similar to this:

Size

Size on disk

The size on disk is their way of trying to bridge the gap. 

[i was wrong here, size on disk DOES NOT account for the new SI measurement.]

Now when it comes to memory and some other things, most manufacturers use the 1024 standard written as GB. That's a whole different story. 

This is a really confusing thing and this adaption of the SI units really muddied things up

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

not enough 2tb in pc and about 5tb overall! i want 50tb, but we all know there is only one way to fill that :D

with the 42zip bomb?

Personally?

Server : 12.somthing TB (2x4tb 2x2tb 1x128gb)

Workstation: 3TB (4x256gb SSD raid 0 2x1tb

Development box / virtual host 1.2tb (256gb ssd 1x1tb)

Bout it aside removable backup drives

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

It's not a marketing size. You are wrong.

damn. that's alot of quotes.

i knew this already, but jesus, threadception

with the 42zip bomb?

well... i wasnt thinking that but sure. (i had to google it! )

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

damn. that's alot of quotes.

i knew this already, but jesus, threadception

I felt the whole conversation I had before would really help give it context, and the understanding that even several years later this is new info to people, and it's still muffed up.

There was even a law suit levied against like sandisk or someone on like 07 becuase they adopted the standard and MS didn't, and no one understands how this works

muh specs 

All parts black

cram it with more things!

I hate the sound of hard drive noise  though  :(

Anything I put on my hard drive I have to make sure I will have headphones on at the time of using it, and make sure that it won't have to be accessed at night :/

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*