Type of paint for a EK backplate on a 980?

eBiz

I just got my two EK 980 backplates and i'm pretty disappointed with them. For $30 dollars each I wish they had some design to them. I am considering painting them but I don't if I should use some high heat paint or if I would be ok with just regular spray paint. What do you guys think?

IMG_1165_zpsnrsntlpz.jpg

I think they look great! :P  But that style isn't for everyone. :)

You could just make a stencil for a cool design and use a plastidip spray? 

That way you can change/ get rid of it if you want to change the style or whatnot. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I used Plasti-Dip on my 290X Lightning backplates and they came out pretty nicely. The only thing I'd recommend is adding some fine grit after spraying the first coat or two to help the next few coats stick properly as those backplates are very smooth.

Here's my old build with the 290X Lightnings: http://imgur.com/a/5Gl7l#pfW1W5N

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I think they look great! :P  But that style isn't for everyone. :)

You could just make a stencil for a cool design and use a plastidip spray? 

That way you can change/ get rid of it if you want to change the style or whatnot. 

I wouldn't be spraying the whole thing, I would just lay down some painters tape to get some angled white lines and peel the tape. I have a white and black build and I think if the design came out nice it would really look good. I just don't want to mess up. 

IMG_0798_zps907f8660.jpg

I wouldn't be spraying the whole thing, I would just lay down some painters tape to get some angled white lines and peel the tape. I have a white and black build and I think if the design came out nice it would really look good. I just don't want to mess up. 

-image snip-

Oooh la la, very nice build! :) 

That would work well indeed! I think that's why people tend to use the 'ol plasti-dip. Its quite forgiving and can be removed without having to use too abrasive/aggressive cleaning products, that could damage your actually component or part. 

I don't have any experience with it personally, but there are plenty of other who could tell you more! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Oooh la la, very nice build! :)

That would work well indeed! I think that's why people tend to use the 'ol plasti-dip. Its quite forgiving and can be removed without having to use too abrasive/aggressive cleaning products, that could damage your actually component or part. 

I don't have any experience with it personally, but there are plenty of other who could tell you more! 

Besides it's use on cars I'm not that familiar with plasti dip.  I would think the heat would damage the rubberish material but if it has been used on a 290 backplate I think it would be fine for this application. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the help!

IMG_0798_zps907f8660.jpg

Your hardline waterloop is beyond crooked...  #OCDRAGEINTENSIFIES. 

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.80GHz / GPU - MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming / RAM - 16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz / Motherboard - Maximus VI Formula / CPU Cooler - Kraken x60 / Power Supply - Rosewill Lightning 1300w / Case - Enthoo Luxe Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 / Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Mouse - Razer Naga Hex + Razer Deathadder Chroma | Picture - [http://i.imgur.com/SSKZKWu.jpg]

I used Plasti-Dip on my 290X Lightning backplates and they came out pretty nicely. The only thing I'd recommend is adding some fine grit after spraying the first coat or two to help the next few coats stick properly as those backplates are very smooth.

Here's my old build with the 290X Lightnings: http://imgur.com/a/5Gl7l#pfW1W5N

That looks really nice. Great build! How is the long term durability of the plasti dip for the backplates you think? Is everything still looking good now? 

It would be a stencil like design, would the plasti dip be good still if I had to peel painters tape off the backplate? I'm slightly worried that it might not give clean edges or pull the paint off when I remove the tape.

Thanks for the help.

Your hardline waterloop is beyond crooked...  #OCDRAGEINTENSIFIES. 

I know I know.It bugs the shit out of me too but I  wanted the PC up and running ASAP and that section of tubing  is getting redone anyway. I have both the waterblocks and the backplates now so I will be fixing that this weekend. I will be posting pics of the finished build soon.

-SNIP-

Durability is great with Plasti-Dip. It wont ever degrade sitting inside a PC. See, that's where I'm thinking you may be better off with regular spray paint. Plasti-Dip peels and stretches when you take it off, so using a stencil will probably give you a lot of torn edges where the Plasti-Dip was attached to the stencil. It could work if you did the whole backplate, then laid the stencil on top and cut out sections of the plastidip. If I were you though, I'd look at using regular spray paint to avoid the hassle.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor