When the framerate goes above the maximum refresh rate with G-sync

-TesseracT-
Go to solution Solved by TheDigitalRealm,

I can feel and see a big difference between 60hz and 120hz. To me, the framerate is hugely important. WIth a 144hz monitor, I'd like to never drop 144hz. If I' aim for 120 fps in CS:GO, I'd get like half of that when standing in front of a smoke grenade, and that's not what I want. 

I guess I'd rather play CS:GO without G-sync and get tearing and a little bit of stuttering. I could accept playing at 120 fps with a 144hz G-sync monitor, but it would never stay there. 

Do you get as much input latency when you hit the refresh rate cap with G-sync as with just V-sync though?

Yes, as can most people as it's an effective doubling in refresh rate. The difference between 120Hz and 144Hz is much smaller, however, and so most people can't tell. Asking to have a constant 144fps AND have a smooth experience is asking for the impossible. G-Sync won't help you with what you're asking for, as it's only going to smooth out gameplay between 30Hz and 144Hz. When any monitor hits a refresh rate cap with G-Sync, V-Sync automatically kicks in anyway, so it's the same experience with or without G-Sync. G-Sync isn't going to help you with your situation unfortunately.

In your situation, I would agree with you and recommend playing without G-Sync or V-Sync if you want to maintain a 144Hz refresh rate, and just live with the tearing. You won't be getting any input latency that way either. :) I think that would be the best compromise

I've read that it caps the game at the monitor's maximum refresh rate and goes into V-sync state. However, I've also read that the input latency caused by this is only a few milliseconds; far fewer than what V-sync introduces. Could someone tell me if this is true or not (can't find the page where I read it on), because I feel that it is very important. I hate playing with V-sync on and want a very smooth and responsive experience.

It VSyncs sadly. NVidia is apparently going to add an option for uncapping instead of vsync

Hitting the maximum refresh rate with or without G-Sync enabled still causes one of two problems, latency from V-Sync or tearing from having it turned off.

If you're going to be running games at over 144fps @ 1440p your machine is most likely overkill.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Hitting the maximum refresh rate with or without G-Sync enabled still causes one of two problems, latency from V-Sync or tearing from having it turned off.

If you're going to be running games at over 144fps @ 1440p your machine is most likely overkill.

CS:GO. I want to run it at 200 fps average to not dip below 144hz when in front of a smoke grenade.

CS:GO. I want to run it at 200 fps average to not dip below 144hz when in front of a smoke grenade.

Why? That won't be a pleasant experience at all. At an Average of 200fps you'll either get major latency issues from V-Sync or horrible tearing.

Higher frame rates don't make you a better player you know, running at a 120-130fps average would result in a much smoother experience.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Why? That won't be a pleasant experience at all. At an Average of 200fps you'll either get major latency issues from V-Sync or horrible tearing.

Higher frame rates don't make you a better player you know, running at a 120-130fps average would result in a much smoother experience.

1. I know that it won't make me a better player, it's just that I love that responsiveness and stuff.

2. Aiming for a specific framerate would work in CS:GO, but more demanding games will have more fluctuating framerates, so that's a problem.

1. I know that it won't make me a better player, it's just that I love that responsiveness and stuff.

2. Aiming for a specific framerate would work in CS:GO, but more demanding games will have more fluctuating framerates, so that's a problem.

1. It definitely won't feel that responsive running above your monitors refresh rate.

2. Okay, but aiming for 200 is going to mean V-Sync and its issues, which is going to be detrimental to gameplay, especially on CS:GO.

It sounds like you need to decide what's more important to you, CS:GO or the rest of your games library, and also decide if you play CS:GO seriously or not. Either way, aiming for 200fps isn't going to do you any favors. I promise you that you won't see the difference between 120 and 144Hz, very few people are able to when the framerates get that high.

1. It definitely won't feel that responsive running above your monitors refresh rate.

2. Okay, but aiming for 200 is going to mean V-Sync and its issues, which is going to be detrimental to gameplay, especially on CS:GO.

It sounds like you need to decide what's more important to you, CS:GO or the rest of your games library, and also decide if you play CS:GO seriously or not. Either way, aiming for 200fps isn't going to do you any favors. I promise you that you won't see the difference between 120 and 144Hz, very few people are able to when the framerates get that high.

I can feel and see a big difference between 60hz and 120hz. To me, the framerate is hugely important. WIth a 144hz monitor, I'd like to never drop 144hz. If I' aim for 120 fps in CS:GO, I'd get like half of that when standing in front of a smoke grenade, and that's not what I want. 

I guess I'd rather play CS:GO without G-sync and get tearing and a little bit of stuttering. I could accept playing at 120 fps with a 144hz G-sync monitor, but it would never stay there. 

Do you get as much input latency when you hit the refresh rate cap with G-sync as with just V-sync though?

Yes, as can most people as it's an effective doubling in refresh rate. The difference between 120Hz and 144Hz is much smaller, however, and so most people can't tell. Asking to have a constant 144fps AND have a smooth experience is asking for the impossible. G-Sync won't help you with what you're asking for, as it's only going to smooth out gameplay between 30Hz and 144Hz. When any monitor hits a refresh rate cap with G-Sync, V-Sync automatically kicks in anyway, so it's the same experience with or without G-Sync. G-Sync isn't going to help you with your situation unfortunately.

In your situation, I would agree with you and recommend playing without G-Sync or V-Sync if you want to maintain a 144Hz refresh rate, and just live with the tearing. You won't be getting any input latency that way either. :) I think that would be the best compromise

Very good sir. However, one question still needs to be answered. This site says something interesting: https://pcmonitors.info/others/nvidia-g-sync-variable-refresh-rate-technology/

One of the attractions of this variable refresh technology is the low latency compared to using VSync. By using what Nvidia call a ‘lookaside buffer’, it adds very little latency compared to ‘VSync off’ (perhaps 1-2ms). There has been a bit of confusion about what happens when the monitor reaches the upper limit of its operation – 144fps at 144Hz, for example. If you observe an in-game frame rate counter or utility like FRAPS you will see that the frame rate only ever seems to reach 141-143fps rather than 144fps. However; Nvidia’s Tom Peterson has stated in a number of videos (here, for example) that G-SYNC monitors behave like VSync on when it reaches this ceiling. The game queues up frames, which induces similar latency behaviour to VSync on. Either way, interaction with the game world felt very smooth to us on the G-SYNC models we’ve tested even at this ceiling – just be aware of the possibility of a touch of extra latency here if you’re one of those people who swear by VSync off for minimal latency.

Have you heard anything about this?

I misread.