Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ScootsMcgoots

When will SSDs become more reasonable than HDDs?

3-4 years

I don't support the purchase of even cheap ssds. I've tried two ssds and felt no difference than when I was using an HDD

Posted · Original PosterOP

We all know how great ssds are ( more resilient to physical damage, faster, less energy is consumed in use, etc)  but when will the ssd start to replace hard drives?  Yes I know ssd are becoming cheaper, but how close are we to them becoming more practical to the manufacture to make, and a user to chose over an HDD?

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

Posted · Best Answer

3-4 years

I don't support the purchase of even cheap ssds. I've tried two ssds and felt no difference than when I was using an HDD

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

They're pretty practical right now.

They're only a few times more expensive than HDDs.

A 1 TB SSD can be gotten for around 300 dollars on a good day.

A 1 TB HDD is 60 last i checked. 5 times more expensive isn't half bad for five times more speed.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

1.5-2 years IMO...

Intel i7-7770K | Asus Maximus X Hero  | EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked | 16GB Memory| Samsung 960 EVO M.2 | Corsair RM 750W | Dell 27" S2716DG main display | Dual Dell ST2320L 23" Secondary displays | Windows 10

Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Logitech G502 mouse | Kingston HyperX Cloud headset | Corsair H100i 

With a moderate to high end budget they are kindof better already. A 512GB SSD is about $175 US and 512GB is enough for most people's games libraries.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

1.5-2 years IMO...

Intel i7-7770K | Asus Maximus X Hero  | EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked | 16GB Memory| Samsung 960 EVO M.2 | Corsair RM 750W | Dell 27" S2716DG main display | Dual Dell ST2320L 23" Secondary displays | Windows 10

Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Logitech G502 mouse | Kingston HyperX Cloud headset | Corsair H100i 

I read an article about a month ago that said by 2016 consumer SSD's will match spinning disks price per gig.. I believe it. 

3-4 years

Really?  I am pretty excited now, although that makes sense because I MIGHT have heard something about an american company putting 3tb of storage onto a stick of gum....

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

A 1 TB HDD is 60 last i checked. 5 times more expensive isn't half bad for five times more speed.

Yeah I'd imagine these would be an easy sell to company showing how a HDD is destined to fail ( yes an ssd will too but less likely) because of it's mechanical properties.

Not yet, but I see it happening soon. Once 3D memory becomes commonplace and prices drop, you may begin to see capacity advantages in SSDs, and with enough time price advantage too, and that may take away the last advantage of HDDs. It'll be several years though.

Pretty much now.  It's not a fair assumption to compare them directly to mechanical HDDs, we wont see them get that cheap for a long time, HDDs will be the cheapest option for storage for a while.

But I think in the next 1-2 years we'll start seeing 120GB SSDs in most consumer builds, even pre-builts, since they can make fairly slow systems appear much faster. 

pfft i would rather buy a fancy GPU or CPU with that money 

Pretty much now.  It's not a fair assumption to compare them directly to mechanical HDDs, we wont see them get that cheap for a long time, HDDs will be the cheapest option for storage for a while.

But I think in the next 1-2 years we'll start seeing 120GB SSDs in most consumer builds, even pre-builts, since they can make fairly slow systems appear much faster. 

Yeah but if by "consumer" you mean dell, they will try to get the most cheap SSDs  as possible, and then they will advertise the tech like they made it and its new

The only difference for me I noticied was OS boot up, that's it.

my difference notice?  OS booting of course, no more icon loading and ps opens in 3 seconds, but that's it

The only difference for me I noticied was OS boot up, that's it.

I'm guessing windows 7?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

No, win 8.1 .

how is it not instant? It takes 3 seconds on my HDD

Yeah but if by "consumer" you mean dell, they will try to get the most cheap ssd possible, and then they will advertise the tech like they made it and its new

It is what I meant, and of course they will.  Pre-built manufacturers prey on the ill-informed and those afraid of computers.

To be honest I'm surprised they don't already mass buy 32/60GB SSDs, throw operating systems on them, and then lock them for usage from the user to make their systems appear a lot faster than they really are.  All my girlfriend's parents go on to determine a computer's quality is boot time anyway, and a lot of people have a similar mindset.  For basic purposes, having an OS, drivers, and other small basic things on an SSD speeds a system up a lot.

It is what I meant, and of course they will.  Pre-built manufacturers prey on the ill-informed and those afraid of computers.

To be honest I'm surprised they don't already mass buy 32/60GB SSDs, throw operating systems on them, and then lock them for usage from the user to make their systems appear a lot faster than they really are.  All my girlfriend's parents go on to determine a computer's quality is boot time anyway, and a lot of people have a similar mindset.  For basic purposes, having an OS, drivers, and other small basic things on an SSD speeds a system up a lot.

Yeah, honestly I'd say the computer industry is the most likely to take advantage of people's ignorance ( or not willing to spend 1hr on youtube to learn about a technology that is a part of modern life    :/   

Impossible. You probably have like nothing on it. It takes me like 1.5 mins on my gaming laptop and on my PC rig it takes 2 seconds.

I limit the startup stuff (avast google drive only)

Depending on application, SSDs are in some cases already more reasonable the HDDs. I have 2 SSDs and no HDD, I use my computer for light gaming and heavy modelling and program development. For me, and SSD for is invaluable especially in modelling. The instant start up of 3DS or Maya is great (I model in 3DS and rig/animate in Maya. This means I switch between both frequently)

The capacity isn't too big of a deal in my case, as I have a server with like ~14TB of storage on it for backing up to. As for SSDs being more suitable in this scenario, I'd go with ~2 years. That server will probably be running SSDs in two years time.

However it takes time for migration of data, so the swap to SSDs will not be instant. For example most data centers renew hardware every 3 years (they actually lease the hardware on normally a 3 year term), so for them they can have up to 3 years of using HDDs until they swap to SSDs from the point were SSDs are better in all ways. This means that although we are getting close to SSDs being completely superior, the widespread adoption will lag behind.