Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ScootsMcgoots

When will SSDs become more reasonable than HDDs?

3-4 years

I don't support the purchase of even cheap ssds. I've tried two ssds and felt no difference than when I was using an HDD

Posted · Original PosterOP

Depending on application, SSDs are in some cases already more reasonable the HDDs. I have 2 SSDs and no HDD, I use my computer for light gaming and heavy modelling and program development. For me, and SSD for is invaluable especially in modelling. The instant start up of 3DS or Maya is great (I model in 3DS and rig/animate in Maya. This means I switch between both frequently)

The capacity isn't too big of a deal in my case, as I have a server with like ~14TB of storage on it for backing up to. As for SSDs being more suitable in this scenario, I'd go with ~2 years. That server will probably be running SSDs in two years time.

However it takes time for migration of data, so the swap to SSDs will not be instant. For example most data centers renew hardware every 3 years (they actually lease the hardware on normally a 3 year term), so for them they can have up to 3 years of using HDDs until they swap to SSDs from the point were SSDs are better in all ways. This means that although we are getting close to SSDs being completely superior, the widespread adoption will lag behind.

It really helps with the bootup of solidworks and just loading my files!!  If you don't know solidworks is a CAD program 

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

Really?  I am pretty excited now, although that makes sense because I MIGHT have heard something about an american company putting 3tb of storage onto a stick of gum....

Finally! Innovation from 'murica! 

Note: I am from america.

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) | Intel Core i5-4690k with a Shitty intel fan (replacing soon) | MSI AMD Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Asrock H97M Pro4 | 16GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair CX600M | HP 22bw Monitor | CMStorm Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

With my Half full HDD it takes 15 secs to start up, and another 30 for windows to be snappy and the HDD to calm down off 100%. 

SSD takes 2 secs to start up and 10 secs to go to 0% usage. 

I would say 8-9 years for the HDD to be useless. 

Ryzen 1600 - GTX 980Ti

I read an article about a month ago that said by 2016 consumer SSD's will match spinning disks price per gig.. I believe it. 

If this is true, then good news for me since I'll be building my PC next year summer :D either way, it'll still get cheap by next year so that's good enough for me but SSDs matching HDDs price per gig is demn good news.

| CPU: Intel i5-4460 | MoBo: Asus H97M-e | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 1866MHz (2x8) 16GB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: Deepcool Smarter | HDD: WD Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB | PSU: Corsair VS450 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |